Jimmy Garoppolo traded to the 49ers!

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Jimmy Garoppolo traded to the 49ers!

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:39 am

onetwothree wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:02 pm
Niners could add Saquon with a top 3 pick
Would Shanahan bang the table for him though

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:22 am

Tsunami wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:25 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:18 pm
scorpion wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:25 pm
Horrible to consider... maybe not DEN but NYJ eeesh that would suck for him.
It wouldn't be ideal, but they'll have the money. Just looking around the league right now:

Washington
Cleveland
New York Jets
Arizona
Denver
Jacksonville

Only teams that really jump out as needing a QB unless something absurd happens.
If you count Washington as needing a QB you have to count Buffalo as well, given how hesitant they have been to keep Tyrod. Also, have we given up on Paxton Lynch already?

Free agents: Brees, Cousins, Taylor, Bradford.

I see 3-10 needy teams. Someone might give McCarron a shot, and I understand there are some good college QBs that might come out. This might be a good year to get a QB discount. Bad news for Colin Kaepernick.
I thought about Buffalo, but I can't see them cutting Tyrod. He's been good for them with no weapons outside of McCoy.

Minnesota may be an option as well with Bradford and Bridgewater both hitting free agency.

slacker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby slacker » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:54 am

Does this make Marquise Goodwin worth claiming off the wire?
12 team PPR, 22 Roster, QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 FLEX, K, DEF
Rivers, Eli
Watkins, Evans, Keenan, Hopkins, Pryor, R. Matthews, Marshall, P. Richardson, CPatt
McCoy, Zeke, Rawls, Ware
Gronk, Njoku, Butt, Everette, Higbee

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:59 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:39 am
onetwothree wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:02 pm
Niners could add Saquon with a top 3 pick
Would Shanahan bang the table for him though
He better be standing on top of the table!

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:51 am

As a Pats fan, I really, really like what I've seen from him the last few years. He's the best of the Brady-back-ups by a very wide margin, and I believe he will be a top-15 QB in this league, and maybe higher in Shanny's system. I actually really like the fit, and am unrealistically sad that NE couldn't find a way to keep him. They just ran out of time, unfortunately.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:00 am

Ghosted wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:51 am He's the best of the Brady-back-ups
I agree with this but that's also not a huge achievement given what we've seen from any of the others once they moved out of New England. I'm holding off right now on setting high expectations as I'm concerned about how much of his success was a product of the Patriots system. Overall, the 49ers offense has been a dumpster fire for so long they need to make a lot of moves to make it a productive again.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:10 am

skip wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:00 am
I agree with this but that's also not a huge achievement given what we've seen from any of the others once they moved out of New England. I'm holding off right now on setting high expectations as I'm concerned about how much of his success was a product of the Patriots system. Overall, the 49ers offense has been a dumpster fire for so long they need to make a lot of moves to make it a productive again.
The possibility/risk that Garappolo was a product of the NE offense is largely alleviated by the fact that he is going to be with the coach who turned Matt Ryan into the league MVP. Shanahan even had success with the offense in CLE for the one year he was there. In the short term, yes there will be struggles. Long term, this is a great situation for Garappolo.
Last edited by dm1129 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:13 am

Yeah, definitely wasn't trying to make it sound like a massive achievement, per se. There's just a lot of people that don't watch NE games or dig up on what the coaches and reporters are saying on a weekly (yearly) basis that will point to Cassel, Hoyer, ect. as being failures, so there for, "product of the system" talk will ensue. My point was strictly to judge him on his own merits, because he is in a different league than they were IMO. Great release, pocket mobility, football IQ is all there. I won't dismiss anyone that is of the opinion that they haven't seen enough from him yet to anoint him, because no one outside of the NE coaching staff really has. But the tools are certainly there.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:17 am

dm1129 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:10 am
The possibility/risk that Garappolo was a product of the NE offense is largely alleviated by the fact that he is going to be with the coach who turned Matt Ryan into the league MVP. Shanahan even had success with the offense in CLE for the one year he was there. In the short term, yes there will be struggles. Long term, this is a great situation for Garappolo.
Uh Matt Ryan was already pretty good. One thing working with a top draft pick with plenty of NFL experience and later round kid with almost none. I like Shanahan but if Garropolo isn't good Shanny isn't going to fix it either
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:27 am

maxhyde wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:17 am
dm1129 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:10 am

Uh Matt Ryan was already pretty good. One thing working with a top draft pick with plenty of NFL experience and later round kid with almost none. I like Shanahan but if Garropolo isn't good Shanny isn't going to fix it either
Matt Ryan is nothing special. He is showing that once again this year without Shanahan. The skill set Garappolo possesses is at the very least comparable with Ryan. Shanahan has a record of success on the offensive side with multiple QBs and teams.

Jason
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jason » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:06 pm

Here's a hot take.

Has Jimmy G even signed an extension yet? Until he does he's basically just a franchise tag lameduck insurance policy against them striking out on the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes in March.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:26 pm

Jason wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:06 pm Here's a hot take.

Has Jimmy G even signed an extension yet? Until he does he's basically just a franchise tag lameduck insurance policy against them striking out on the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes in March.
Expensive insurance policy.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:41 pm

Garoppolo has not signed an extension and the trade wasn't conditional.
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:22 am
Minnesota may be an option as well with Bradford and Bridgewater both hitting free agency.
Off-topic and nobody has reported this officially, but Bridgewater's contract won't count this as a full season if he wasn't medically healthy by week 7, which appears to be the case. He will be a Viking in 2018 under the same contract, and they will have another chance to pick up his 5th year option for 2019.

Jason
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jason » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:42 pm

onetwothree wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:26 pm
Jason wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:06 pm Here's a hot take.

Expensive insurance policy.
Not exactly the most competent front office either.

One can only hope they're crossing their T's and dotting their i's on a new contract but why hasn't that happened yet? It's kinda weird that a 2nd rounder changed hands without word of a deal...and the fact no one seems to be concerned about it is even weirder to me.

If they're willing to treat draft picks like the dead cap room they've been blowing willy nilly it wouldn't surprise me if this was their plan though that if at the end of the day they get Cousins, the 2nd rounder will mean nothing to them in the grand scheme of things because they still got a QB they wanted. If not, franchise Jimmy G and try to work out a front-loaded extension with all that cap room like the Garcon deal.

The 49ers would then be in position for a sizeable compensatory pick when Jimmy G signs a massive deal with another team.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:25 pm

Jason wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:42 pm The 49ers would then be in position for a sizeable compensatory pick when Jimmy G signs a massive deal with another team.
Would only be a 3rd. Otherwise New England would've just held and received the compensatory pick themselves.

No reason to rush to do an extension now. Franchise tag at 20 mil guaranteed is better than guaranteeing 50-60 mil like most of the new QB contracts are going for.

Niners have all the leverage here. Plus it's a new front office. Not Baalke running things. By all accounts they had a successful first draft.