Week 8 Discussion

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Week 8 Discussion

Postby dynastyninja » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:39 am

Coogan Football wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:01 pm
Generic Username wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:52 pm Am I remembering correctly that talks of player ejection with regards to QB hits is already a subject for rules meeting in the off-season? For some reason I recall seeing this subject recently somewhere
God it better be. I hope Alonso gets in a car accident tomorrow, same for Suh.
You've got problems, man. Flacco looked like he was trying to get a first down and very quickly dipped down to slide. It was a bad play by Alonso, but let's not act like it was the dirtiest play we've ever seen. It's third down and Flacco is running full speed and was within a yard of reaching the first down. Alonso himself is also running full speed to try to get to the first down line in time to stop him. Is Alonso supposed to let up and risk giving up the first down because it's a quarterback running?

Suh, sure, he's an idiot and seems like a pretty terrible person. Don't want him to get hit by a car, but he deserves some heavy suspensions every time he pulls his bleep.

captain howdy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby captain howdy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:46 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:32 am
The Red Rooster wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:06 am It doesn't really matter how quickly Flacco slid...the rules are pretty clear I believe and it's 100% on the defender to not make that hit on QBs. I understand it's football but I don't think Alonso needed to go in that hard. He wanted to light up the QB and that's what he did...and it cost his team a TD.
Pretty much. I've seen several plays by other QB's this year that more or less did the same thing and the other defenders knew what was up and they pull off right away when they even think a QB is about to slide. It's a little dumb but it's part of the rules now.
I dont think anyone is saying it wasnt a penalty...honestly, even if they ejected Alonso it would have been in keeping with the intent of the rule

I think the distinction others and myself are drawing is that it wasnt a "dirty hit", the timing was split second, if you watch in real time, and try to consider it from Alonso's perspective. It really looked like Flacco was going hard for thta first down line, and he did, until the last moment. Alonso only took a half step from the moment Flacco started his slide process to go down.

Not dirty, cant see why someone would want further injury to occur to him for it. It seems the refs agreed on it, as they could have tossed him without anyone batting an eye, but chose not to.

Rule breaking, yes...malicious? I dont see it.

pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerface40 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:53 am

jtd1387 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:06 pm
lukkynumber13 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:55 pm
Coogan Football wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:01 pm

God it better be. I hope Alonso gets in a car accident tomorrow, same for Suh.
Bad timing by Alonso but that wasn't dirty at all. Flacco went from sprinting to sliding insanely quick, no joke.
I mostly agree. Alonso was definitely going for the big hit, but If Flacco dove (which is what he looked like he was going to do), and the hit caused a fumble, Alonso would have been praised for a great play by doing absolutely nothing differently.

As a dolphins fan, I would have been fine with an ejection, even though it was 95% bad timing. You've got to find a way to encourage defensive players to do more to avoid those hits.

Coogan, your posts in this thread are shameful. Suh and his family should die in a car crash because Suh is violent in a violent game? Get a life, man.
This is Coogs being Coogs. At one point I tried to make amends with the guy but he is so ignorant it's almost too easy to hate on him. I imagine him waiving his confederate flag, watching FOX news and studying his high school football referee for dummies book with a hand in his pants Al Bundy style. Meanwhile he is policing the dynasty advice forum getting so angry that people don't comment on 5 posts if they post a topic themselves. 'Merica.

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby The Red Rooster » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:13 am

captain howdy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:46 am
The Red Rooster wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:06 am It doesn't really matter how quickly Flacco slid...the rules are pretty clear I believe and it's 100% on the defender to not make that hit on QBs. I understand it's football but I don't think Alonso needed to go in that hard. He wanted to light up the QB and that's what he did...and it cost his team a TD.
Pretty much. I've seen several plays by other QB's this year that more or less did the same thing and the other defenders knew what was up and they pull off right away when they even think a QB is about to slide. It's a little dumb but it's part of the rules now.
I dont think anyone is saying it wasnt a penalty...honestly, even if they ejected Alonso it would have been in keeping with the intent of the rule

I think the distinction others and myself are drawing is that it wasnt a "dirty hit", the timing was split second, if you watch in real time, and try to consider it from Alonso's perspective. It really looked like Flacco was going hard for thta first down line, and he did, until the last moment. Alonso only took a half step from the moment Flacco started his slide process to go down.

Not dirty, cant see why someone would want further injury to occur to him for it. It seems the refs agreed on it, as they could have tossed him without anyone batting an eye, but chose not to.

The refs miss calls all the time...so, just because they didn't eject Alonso when they should have, doesn't mean much.

I also didn't say it was malicious but it was closer to that, than not to that imo. If you pause the video when Joe starts go give himself up, Alonso is a good 5 yards away. It was still def split second, but Alonso could have and should have pulled up per the rules.

Further more, it's not like this doesn't happen every single Sunday in football games. QBs scramble and defenders know they can and most likely will slide. So, yes, split second, but also not an excuse as every other defender in the league also deals with this. Defenders are expected to slow down (right or wrong) and make an arm tackle...not bury and drive their shoulder into the QB.

Generic Username
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Generic Username » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:14 am

Man, this seriously went off the rails...I only asked the question about ejection because I seem to recall hearing/reading that potential punishment with regards to the specific kind of hit Alonso made being a topic slated for off-season rules discussion and wondered if someone else had knowledge of it and could confirm or not...wishing car accidents upon players and their families is stupid and indefensible

captain howdy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby captain howdy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:05 am

The Red Rooster wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:13 am

The refs miss calls all the time...so, just because they didn't eject Alonso when they should have, doesn't mean much.

I also didn't say it was malicious but it was closer to that, than not to that imo. If you pause the video when Joe starts go give himself up, Alonso is a good 5 yards away. It was still def split second, but Alonso could have and should have pulled up per the rules.

Further more, it's not like this doesn't happen every single Sunday in football games. QBs scramble and defenders know they can and most likely will slide. So, yes, split second, but also not an excuse as every other defender in the league also deals with this. Defenders are expected to slow down (right or wrong) and make an arm tackle...not bury and drive their shoulder into the QB.
To the bolded..you have anything beyond your subjective thoughts on that? In a QB centric league, I'd say the decision not to eject involves a bit more than, oh hey, we missed it. And I havent heard any of the Monday morning past officials/officiating experts raining on the decision not to eject.

"pausing" the action is a nice trick, that Alonso was not able to do.

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby The Red Rooster » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:25 am

captain howdy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:05 am

To the bolded..you have anything beyond your subjective thoughts on that? In a QB centric league, I'd say the decision not to eject involves a bit more than, oh hey, we missed it. And I havent heard any of the Monday morning past officials/officiating experts raining on the decision not to eject.

We obviously disagree and I believe the commentators and plenty of others this morning seem to think Alonso could have (and in some cases should have) been ejected. Time will tell...if he's fined...and if he is, then clearly the NFL disagrees with the hit.

I'm regards to my trick pausing...every single time a QB runs, defenders face this dilemma...and very few get lit up like that. He lowered his shoulder and plowed into him. Fine, you disagree that there was nothing else he could have done and that's completely fine. I think he could have easily arm tackled him or atleast not lowered his head and shoulders and unloaded. Bottom line, terrible decision on his part and cost his team a TD. Everyone knows the rules and it's the defenders responsibility to tackle QBs "appropriately" in that situation. The rule is only there so we don't see games where Ryan Mallet is dualing Matt Moore because it lowers ratings (and thus money).

captain howdy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby captain howdy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:32 am

The Red Rooster wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:25 am

We obviously disagree and I believe the commentators and plenty of others this morning seem to think Alonso could have (and in some cases should have) been ejected. Time will tell...if he's fined...and if he is, then clearly the NFL disagrees with the hit.

I'm regards to my trick pausing...every single time a QB runs, defenders face this dilemma...and very few get lit up like that. He lowered his shoulder and plowed into him. Fine, you disagree that there was nothing else he could have done and that's completely fine. I think he could have easily arm tackled him or atleast not lowered his head and shoulders and unloaded. Bottom line, terrible decision on his part and cost his team a TD. Everyone knows the rules and it's the defenders responsibility to tackle QBs "appropriately" in that situation. The rule is only there so we don't see games where Ryan Mallet is dualing Matt Moore because it lowers ratings (and thus money).
NFLN crew on the hit...David Carr understands the position Flacco put defenders in...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj4vetp61e8

Just watched this, I had google searched to see if there's been any commentary yet. The NFL is still reviewing...

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby The Red Rooster » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:46 am

captain howdy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:32 am

NFLN crew on the hit...David Carr understands the position Flacco put defenders in...

Just watched this, I had google searched to see if there's been any commentary yet. The NFL is still reviewing...
Yes, but lets not cherry pick comments in that video though because they then go on to say it was a bit aggressive....specifically Willie, who played LB and has been in that situation. Willie himself seemed conflicted on what he thought so, its not surprising you and I disagree.

Its a tough spot...Ive even said it was a split second decision. My point is, its on the LB and rarely do you ever see a LB drive his shoulder into a QB because they know its unnecessary.

captain howdy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby captain howdy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:09 am

The Red Rooster wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:46 am
captain howdy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:32 am

Yes, but lets not cherry pick comments in that video though because they then go on to say it was a bit aggressive....specifically Willie, who played LB and has been in that situation. Willie himself seemed conflicted on what he thought so, its not surprising you and I disagree.

Its a tough spot...Ive even said it was a split second decision. My point is, its on the LB and rarely do you ever see a LB drive his shoulder into a QB because they know its unnecessary.
Yeah, fair enough.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:16 am

captain howdy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:32 amJust watched this, I had google searched to see if there's been any commentary yet. The NFL is still reviewing...
Good post. David Carr explains it well. Flacoo made a regrettable decision to go for the first down, then tried a slide when it was too late. That's football.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:23 am

Yup, if Flacco was trying to slide into 2nd (baseball analogy here), it was his bleep that would have hit the base first, not his feet.

:nono:

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:33 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:16 am
captain howdy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:32 amJust watched this, I had google searched to see if there's been any commentary yet. The NFL is still reviewing...
Good post. David Carr explains it well. Flacoo made a regrettable decision to go for the first down, then tried a slide when it was too late. That's football.
Yes, Kurt Warner was on twitter saying near the same thing, if a QB wants the protections then he should slide before a defender really has to make the decision, being that close to the yard to gain, you can't really fault the defender .. but from the defender side you really have to stay away from the head/neck area ..
@PlankMelody

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:42 am

Plank wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:33 am
Pac_Eddy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:16 am
Yes, Kurt Warner was on twitter saying near the same thing, if a QB wants the protections then he should slide before a defender really has to make the decision, being that close to the yard to gain, you can't really fault the defender ..
I agree completely. As there is a provision in the rules already to protect the QB when running (sliding feet first), any QB that decides to run has to accept the risk that goes along with that knowing that he can easily protect himself by using proper judgment on when to slide.

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby The Red Rooster » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:45 am

We can find former QBs saying it's a tough spot for Kiko and former LBs saying it was aggressive.

When Flacco slides is irrelevant given the rules. We can say this and that and how tough the situation is, but it's the defenders responsibility. Period. That's why it was a flag.