Why tanking kills leauge?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
BhamRudy
Role Player
Role Player

Why tanking kills leauge?

Postby BhamRudy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:27 pm

I'm in 14 team leauge that's only been around 2 years. People are tanking and no one seems to understand why it will kill the leauge. I'm not able to articulate the words to explain why it's bad. Can someone help me with this? Why do rules need to be in place?
14 team, (1 QB 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, IDP) PPR
QB: Bress, Newton, Trubisky
RB: Kamara, Mixon, K, Johnson. Lindsey, Justice Hill.
WR: Hopkins, Evans, Mike Williams, A Robbison, Godwin, Deebo Samuel. H, Butler.
TE: Kelce, Herndon, Fant

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Why tanking kills leauge?

Postby Bot101 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:47 pm

Define tanking. Somone sitting studs? Or someone whos team is under performing and hes selling off short term assets to rebuild and doesnt want the points?

tom14cat14
Captain
Captain

Postby tom14cat14 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:11 pm

Bot101 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:47 pm Define tanking. Somone sitting studs? Or someone whos team is under performing and hes selling off short term assets to rebuild and doesnt want the points?
This x100.

If someone is sitting players who clearly should be playing then it is crap. If someone is doing this and doesn’t understand it is wrong then nothing you will say will change their mind.

Now if you say selling off your aging assets kills the league I think most would disagree with that statement.

BhamRudy
Role Player
Role Player

Postby BhamRudy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:17 pm

They are sitting studs. One team has Newton Jeffery and Parker on the bench with Trubisky and juju and Smallwood in his line up. 2 teams are doing this.
14 team, (1 QB 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, IDP) PPR
QB: Bress, Newton, Trubisky
RB: Kamara, Mixon, K, Johnson. Lindsey, Justice Hill.
WR: Hopkins, Evans, Mike Williams, A Robbison, Godwin, Deebo Samuel. H, Butler.
TE: Kelce, Herndon, Fant

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:41 pm

BhamRudy wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:17 pm They are sitting studs. One team has Newton Jeffery and Parker on the bench with Trubisky and juju and Smallwood in his line up. 2 teams are doing this.
:think:

You might need to provide a little more detail. Trubisky over Cam is suspect (and even then Cam has been playing like crap for the most part) but you could make a case for the other players.

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:43 pm

BhamRudy wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:17 pm They are sitting studs. One team has Newton Jeffery and Parker on the bench with Trubisky and juju and Smallwood in his line up. 2 teams are doing this.
To be fair I'm hesitant to call Newton, Jeffrey and Parker studs especially given they have played this year, Netwon has had 2 great games, 1 good game, 2 not so good games and 2 trash games and has an average matchup this week. I don't think Trubisky will outscore him this week against NO but if he did it wouldn't completely surprise me. Parker has had 1 good game this year and is currently not practicing with an ankle injury after sitting out the last two weeks so I'm doubtful of him even playing right now. As for Jeffrey I don't get him starting over Smallwood but he's been outscored by Juju over the last 3 weeks and while SF looks like a great matchup for him they've been roasted by slot receivers (where Agholor lines up) and have been decent in outside coverage. Could also be looking for some upside with Smallwood considering SF is dead last against RBs this year.

Granted I could be way off and he's actually just tanking but intentional tanking is kind of hard to prove, especially based on those 3 examples you gave, I'd have to see his whole roster to make a clear decision.
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:20 am

"Tanking" is no more detrimental than "rebuilding"...id even argue that "rebuilding is worse.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:44 am

sloth8u wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:20 am "Tanking" is no more detrimental than "rebuilding"...id even argue that "rebuilding is worse.
Huh?
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:04 am

A healthy league is an ecosystem. That means that the best teams are actively seeking to upgrade their depth and starting rosters, while the worst teams are actively selling vets for draft capital and buy-low youth assets. A healthy league has multiple owners with multi-year plans, and sometimes those plans include "tanking".
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:14 am

M-Dub wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:44 am
sloth8u wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:20 am "Tanking" is no more detrimental than "rebuilding"...id even argue that "rebuilding is worse.
Huh?
Making trades with the intent of losing games. Some call that rebuilding when in fact it is tanking aswell.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:16 am

StableOfRBs wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:43 pm
To be fair I'm hesitant to call Newton, Jeffrey and Parker studs especially given they have played this year, Netwon has had 2 great games, 1 good game, 2 not so good games and 2 trash games and has an average matchup this week. I don't think Trubisky will outscore him this week against NO but if he did it wouldn't completely surprise me. Parker has had 1 good game this year and is currently not practicing with an ankle injury after sitting out the last two weeks so I'm doubtful of him even playing right now. As for Jeffrey I don't get him starting over Smallwood but he's been outscored by Juju over the last 3 weeks and while SF looks like a great matchup for him they've been roasted by slot receivers (where Agholor lines up) and have been decent in outside coverage. Could also be looking for some upside with Smallwood considering SF is dead last against RBs this year.

Granted I could be way off and he's actually just tanking but intentional tanking is kind of hard to prove, especially based on those 3 examples you gave, I'd have to see his whole roster to make a clear decision.
^this. Nearly any start/sit can be rationalized to an extent, especially with all the injuries and under performing studs. Right or wrong, someone could make arguments for guys like Kenny Stills over Julio or Jordy based on matchup and situation, so it's almost impossible to prove.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:42 am

sloth8u wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:14 amMaking trades with the intent of losing games. Some call that rebuilding when in fact it is tanking aswell.
Got to disagree here.

Rebuilding & tanking are different. Tanking only refers to intentionally setting a weak lineup with the intent to lose.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:02 am

I will always vehemently argue against the idea that tanking is a viable strategy or somehow healthy or good for a league. It could easily be argued that tanking is the exact same thing as collusion because you're intentionally allowing another team to beat you. It is foolish to think that tanking only impacts a single team. It has a league-wide negative impact.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:09 am

As an aside, how many leagues are set up a system that regardless of whether or not tanking is taking place it will not impact the draft order of the bottom teams. The bulk of my leagues of always used win-loss record or some combination using win loss record. I believe that the most viable design and the one that is most likely to eliminate the problem of tanking is using potential points. This way regardless of whether or not the other owner starts their best players or their worst players the system will account for them only starting their best available options. Unfortunately it does nothing to eliminate the problem I cited above of gifting wins to the opponent. But it does eliminate their selfish goals.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:10 am

if you pay you can run your team how you want. including losing on purpose in a lost year to try to get the top pick the following year. any other team is allowed to do the same. you wanna stink so you can get a better team next seaso? go ahead that sounds smart and shouldnt bother teams in the hunt to win it all
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp