Dez worth these days?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Concept Coop
Starter
Starter

Re: Dez worth these days?

Postby Concept Coop » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:42 pm

Bot101 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:35 pm As a Cowboys fan I have watched most of their games. Ive seen a noticeable difference in Dez now compared to his peak. I jumped off before his value goes down the drain entirely. I had a really hard time selling him in my league. But I was able to find a buyer who gave me Derrick Henry in return. I undersold him yes, but I wanted to get something before he was worth nothing.

And yes, I do know Dez is facing a lot of the leagues top corners.
I'm a big Cowboys fan as well, and disagree with you. I think he's the same guy he was in 2014. After a slow start, the Cowboys offense has settled down and is playing at 2016 levels. During that that stretch Dez is WR8 at 16.8 PPG. He's scored a TD in 4 of the last 5 games. He's one of the best redzone threats in the league, on a team who will be in the redzone a lot. Dak isn't quite as accurate as Tony, and he doesn't take as many risks. Because of that, he's not likely to put up 2014 numbers anytime soon. But I still think he's an 80/1,000/10 guy moving forward - and that's plenty valuable.

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:47 pm

skip wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:39 am Anyone valuing Dez anything higher than a single first round pick (middle) must not watch the Cowboys play. I'm an hour from Dallas and get to see pretty much every game. Dez is a shell of what he was earlier in his career. He hasn't been close to the elite receiver he was back in 2014.

It's funny that DT running back a year ago could barely get you that middle first yet a less productive Dez - not just recently, but his entire career - manages to carry elite value still to some.
What direction from Dallas?

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:52 pm

JFever wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:17 pm Fair to say that the market is down on Dez. I understand it... but... at the same time I don't. Its the what have you done for me in almost three years* mentality that kills me.
*Fixed that for you.

Granted Dez is playing decently so far this year, although he's not even on track for 900 yards. But pretending being down on Dez is some sort of recency bias seems like a stretch.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:05 pm

I think the real problem is that DAL has no other receiving threats to take away defensive attention from Dez. Brice Butler has the speed, but they haven't really given him that many snaps. Terrance Williams, Jason Witten, and Cole Beasley are all underneath receivers. The safety can usually help the CB covering Dez in most cases. I think if DAL can draft a good rookie WR or add a FA WR in the offseason to open it up a bit for Dez, he could return to top-end WR1 status.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:07 pm

He's not making plays downfield and hasn't for a while. It's a concern.

Concept Coop
Starter
Starter

Postby Concept Coop » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:12 pm

jeffster wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:52 pm
JFever wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:17 pm Fair to say that the market is down on Dez. I understand it... but... at the same time I don't. Its the what have you done for me in almost three years* mentality that kills me.
*Fixed that for you.

Granted Dez is playing decently so far this year, although he's not even on track for 900 yards. But pretending being down on Dez is some sort of recency bias seems like a stretch.
You're not wrong, but it's pretty easy to explain away the down years in 15 and 16, I think. Injuries to Dez and Romo sabotaged his 2015 campaign. Last year, the entire offense adjusted to a new QB - the targets weren't there.

For the record, I don't think Dez is a dynasty WR1. I think his rankings on this site are a bit inflated. But he is far from done. He's got a very good shot to lead the league in rec TDs--and if Zeke is suspended, I think he's the favorite.

Concept Coop
Starter
Starter

Postby Concept Coop » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:20 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:07 pm He's not making plays downfield and hasn't for a while. It's a concern.
Dak doesn't have the deep accuracy that Romo did. He's missed Dez on (at least) two big ones this year. Dez is still one of the best 50/50 guys in the league.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:26 pm

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:05 pm I think the real problem is that DAL has no other receiving threats to take away defensive attention from Dez. Brice Butler has the speed, but they haven't really given him that many snaps. Terrance Williams, Jason Witten, and Cole Beasley are all underneath receivers. The safety can usually help the CB covering Dez in most cases. I think if DAL can draft a good rookie WR or add a FA WR in the offseason to open it up a bit for Dez, he could return to top-end WR1 status.
He really isn't getting much separation from most CBs.

Concept Coop
Starter
Starter

Postby Concept Coop » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:28 pm

I totally get the concern. The production hasn't be on par with his career averages. Perhaps I'm wrong in feeling he is the same guy. But I watch literally ever Cowboys snap and just can't tell you what's changed. He was never a burner; he never ran great routes; he always had concentration drops. He's only 28 YO; it would be pretty odd for a guy of his skillset to be past his prime at this age. The only difference I can see is the change at QB. I love Dak and think he's a stud, but he's more cautious and less accurate than Romo was. He's missed Dez on 2 should be easy redzone TDs; he's missed him deep at least twice that I remember; he doesn't throw the best fade--and that's a major strength of Dez's (and Tony's).

I would just like someone to help me understand what's changed, in terms of Dez's play. I'm just not seeing it. I've heard that maybe defenses have figured him out, but that's silly. The blueprint has always been in place, it just hasn't mattered to now.

Concept Coop
Starter
Starter

Postby Concept Coop » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:28 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:26 pm
WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:05 pm I think the real problem is that DAL has no other receiving threats to take away defensive attention from Dez. Brice Butler has the speed, but they haven't really given him that many snaps. Terrance Williams, Jason Witten, and Cole Beasley are all underneath receivers. The safety can usually help the CB covering Dez in most cases. I think if DAL can draft a good rookie WR or add a FA WR in the offseason to open it up a bit for Dez, he could return to top-end WR1 status.
He never really has though.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:05 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:26 pm
Dez has never really been that kind of WR though. He's an Evans type where he'll get the 50/50 ball without much separation.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:24 pm

Evans gets plenty of separation with his length but point taken.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:25 pm

Concept Coop wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:28 pm I totally get the concern. The production hasn't be on par with his career averages. Perhaps I'm wrong in feeling he is the same guy. But I watch literally ever Cowboys snap and just can't tell you what's changed. He was never a burner; he never ran great routes; he always had concentration drops. He's only 28 YO; it would be pretty odd for a guy of his skillset to be past his prime at this age. The only difference I can see is the change at QB. I love Dak and think he's a stud, but he's more cautious and less accurate than Romo was. He's missed Dez on 2 should be easy redzone TDs; he's missed him deep at least twice that I remember; he doesn't throw the best fade--and that's a major strength of Dez's (and Tony's).

I would just like someone to help me understand what's changed, in terms of Dez's play. I'm just not seeing it. I've heard that maybe defenses have figured him out, but that's silly. The blueprint has always been in place, it just hasn't mattered to now.
I agree. Dez hasn't changed but Romo was way more confident in throwing up balls to Dez and giving him chances to make plays. Bit more of a gunslinger than Dak. Dak isn't the same QB and that is fine but I think the Dez decline talk is a bit premature. Dak errs on the side of caution which is good for the team. As he develops I would expect him to take a few more chances but if DAL is playing the game they want they are a run first ball control team. Dak has struggled some when DAL falls behind and becomes more of a pass first team
Maybe the chemistry will get better between Dak and Dez or maybe they will find ways to work Dez to Dak's strengths but certainly if I can get Dez for some of these bargain basement prices I am interested
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:35 pm

grooner wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:23 pm I can see why people are down on him, has not been dominant since 2014.

2015 injured riddled season, finished as a wr4 in PPR
2016 finished as the wr 13 in PPG, but again did not play the whole season.
2017 on face for mid wr 2 numbers in PPG so far. Not exactly inspiring.

I think I am still higher on him than most, but there is no way I would give three firsts for him. Maybe two firsts if I was competing and they weren't projected to be super early.

I would prefer to have Baldwin over Dez, and I don't know anyone who would give 3 firsts for baldwin, and most probably wouldn't even give two.
you could probably get baldwin and a 1st for dez.

Slackalacker
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Slackalacker » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:37 pm

Someone sold Dez and their second for TY in my league. I think Dez can have some great games with dak but his name costs more than his true value in my mind.
TEAM 1 - 10 team SF 1PPR | 2017 & 2019 League Champ
1QB/1SF/2RB/2WR/1TE/2FLEX
QB: Dak - Hurts - DangeRuss - Tua - Z Wilson - Mills
RB: Barkley - Zeke - Sanders - Pollard - Patterson - D’Ernest - Jermar - Evans - Jones
WR: Hill - JJeff - Higgins - Hollywood - MThom(IR) - Godwin(IR) - E Moore - Marshall Jr - Calloway - Palmer - D Brown
TE: Hock - Moreau