C.J. Beathard

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ATLion
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

C.J. Beathard

Postby ATLion » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:25 am

I was surprised to not find a thread dedicated to Beathard on the DLF forum. What are your thoughts on him? Some have said that he is a pocket passer, but from the tape that I have seen he seems quite comfortable and efficient when asked to roll out and pass. He made a great throw against the Redskins last week where he rolled out to his right and hit Alrdrick Robinson in stride for a 45yd TD.

The guy seems to have a arm. I watched his highlights against MSU, I believe, where he threw the ball 57yds in the air and connected with his receiver in stride. However, I do question if his accuracy will be a problem in the NFL. He seemed to throw too many passes behind or over the heads of receivers.

Thoughts?
12 Team/Non PPR/Non IDP
Standard Scoring
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, Flex (WR/RB/TE), TE, K, TM

QB: Rodgers; Beathard; Bridgewater
RB: Hyde; K. Hunt, Coleman, Thompson, Woodhead, Gore, Riddick, Prosise, Lacy, C. West
WR: Evans, Landry, DeSean, Matthews, Lee, Amendola, ARob
TE: Engram; Dickson
TM: Jaguars, Ravens
K: Bailey

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Re: C.J. Beathard

Postby Goddard » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:11 am

I don't know too much about him and haven't really seen him play much, but unless he lights it up the rest of the season, SF will most likely have a different QB next year.

AlPal&Ange
All Pro
All Pro

Postby AlPal&Ange » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:03 pm

Goddard wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:11 am I don't know too much about him and haven't really seen him play much, but unless he lights it up the rest of the season, SF will most likely have a different QB next year.
I've watch a lot of Hawk's football the past few years. That being said, I do not doubt that he sticks around the NFL for 10 years, but I doubt he'll be a franchise QB.. Rather a guy in the mold of McGowan, Hoyer, Cassel type player. Valuable asset for an NFL team, but not really ever fantasy relevant unless injuries.

DrNoish
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DrNoish » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:10 pm

I love him. Not sure what he'll do, but I like that he threw the ball past 10 yards accurately. I have him in a couple places, but I also believe Cousins will be there next year.
12 Team PPR 1QB - 1RB - 1WR - 2RB/WR - 1TE

KUPP the Balls
QB- Herbert, Hurts, Newton
RB- Montgomery, RoJo, Lindsay, Michel, Gurley, Vaughn, Foreman
WR- Lamb, Hopkins, Beckham, Metcalf, Cooks
TE- Kelce, Ertz
Picks 1.11, 2.04, 2022 1st

Seventy5
Legend
Legend

Postby Seventy5 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:43 pm

To be honest, I didn't watch much other than highlights of his but he started gaining steam towards the end of the pre-draft process (even garnered late 1st hype from a few scouts) and was often compared to Kirk Cousins. Once he was drafted by SF/Shanahan, he became my #1 mid-late 4th round super flex target and I got him in 100% of those leagues.

I live in the Bay Area and have heard nothing but subtly good reports about Beathard, so Im curious to see if Shanahan can unearth another Cousins-type QB.
DLF HOF League | 16 Team 1PPR 1QB-2WR-2RB-1TE-2FL:
QB: Deshaun Watson | Stafford | Purdy | Hooker
RB: Saquon Barkley |DeVon Achane | Deuce
RB: Alvin Kamara | Joe Mixon / Chase Brown | Tucker
WR: Tyreek Hill | Rashee Rice | Tank Dell
WR: Stefon Diggs | DeVonta Smith | MWilliams | Claypool | C Austin
TE: Higbee | Likely | Chig Okonkwo | Strange
2023: 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3

DLF Premium League | 16 Team 1PPR 1QB-2WR-2RB-1TE-2FL:
QB: Joe Burrow | Mayfield | Hooker
RB: Saquon Barkley | Tank Bigsby | Deuce
RB: Alvin Kamara | Aaron Jones | JK Dobbins | Sean Tucker
WR: Ja'Marr Chase | Christian Watson | Hyatt | Shenault
WR: Keenan Allen | Marquise Brown | Calvin Ridley | Addison | Claypool | C Jones | Shakir
TE: Sam LaPorta | Strange | Jonnu
2023: 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:57 am

I don't think Beathard is the future in SF, but I do think he's a sneaky-good QB streamer / bye-week fill-in this week. Shany is airing it out a lot and SF figures to be chasing Dallas on the scoreboard most of the game.

Beathard has a strong arm and will stand in there and take a hit to make a throw, but he doesn't see the full field well, makes slow progressions, usually doesn't feel the edge-rush closing in, and his strong arm is only erratically accurate. I think he's good enough to feed Garcon -- Beathard's tendency to lock onto his first read whenever he has a pocket to stand in should help Garcon more than hurt -- and Kittle gets a potential low-end TE1 status upgrade because he and CJ already have collegiate rapport, of course.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:37 am

I think he can be relatively useful in multi-QB formats ROS. I get the feeling he's nothing more than place holder until SF signs Cousins or drafts a QB with the #1-#2 pick next year.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:05 am

I think he is a younger slightly more athletic Hoyer. Not elite upside but should be able to hang onto a backup job in the NFL for years and function capably as a starter when called upon. With a good supporting cast he might even be a starter for a team for a few years

I wouldn't get too excited but also wouldn't dismiss him as an option for the rest of the year in SF leagues
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

jimmychoi
Starter
Starter

Postby jimmychoi » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:00 pm

He was basically running for his life or getting smashed by the pass rush yesterday. Play calling was interesting. The pass rushers pinned their ears back and just went for it constantly. He was under constant duress.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:11 am

BuckeyeNation wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:37 am I think he can be relatively useful in multi-QB formats ROS. I get the feeling he's nothing more than place holder until SF signs Cousins or drafts a QB with the #1-#2 pick next year.
x2
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

BigJoeWall72
Role Player
Role Player

Postby BigJoeWall72 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:45 am

maxhyde wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:05 am I wouldn't get too excited but also wouldn't dismiss him as an option for the rest of the year in SF leagues
I played with fire and got burned... Rodgers was my only QB for the first 6 weeks of the season, but that came to a screeching halt.

Was able to grab Beathard off waivers and will be starting him the rest of the season, so hopefully he isn't only an option in SF leagues! :doh:

Jason
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jason » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:35 pm

jimmychoi wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:00 pm He was basically running for his life or getting smashed by the pass rush yesterday. Play calling was interesting. The pass rushers pinned their ears back and just went for it constantly. He was under constant duress.
This is how it's been the last 2 years basically. Kaepernick had to have offseason surgery on 4 different body parts after 2015, was running for his life every drop back last season...when he was able to get a pass off they would be dropped 50% of the time. People who think they can judge him and definitively say he's not good at football based on his play the last couple seasons haven't really taken into account how setup to fail he was in San Francisco, it's remarkable he only had 4 interceptions last season with the amount of incompetence he was surrounded with from coaches and supporting cast.

But yeah, John Lynch completely ignored offensive line in the offseason except for a last minute trade for a Lions castoff and picking up a linemen the Seahawks didn't even want LOL. I'm shocked Hoyer made it this far without getting injured.

One thing we will know for certain by January is if CJ Beathard has the guts and poise to enjoy a long career in this league because he's going to be put through the ringer the next couple months.