Dynasty TE Blues

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Dynasty TE Blues

Postby Pac_Eddy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:43 am

It seems like a bad year for the TEs in dynasty.

I was looking at rosters for an upgrade at TE and didn't see anyone I want to target. After the oft-injured Gronk, there's Kelce and Ertz, the next tier can be up to a dozen players. The points gap is very small between all of them. Some in that group are old, have large injury histories, or are expected to be overshadowed by a young guy. Seems like TE scoring may be way down from other years too.

Frankly I'd rather have any of the many young TEs (Henry, Howard, Njoku) that aren't producing yet and just fill in the weeks til they're ready.

Anyone else feeling very blah when looking at TEs this year?
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

captain howdy
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Dynasty TE Blues

Postby captain howdy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:59 am

I am rebuilding in a te premium, best ball, where there are two flex spots for rb/wr/te,

And have rostered ASJ, Kittle, Everett, Jonnu, and Ebron.

I feel great about the position going forward for both the NFL and my own team/roster.

I think we are amidst a changing of the guard in the top ten, and coupled with injuries it has caused some subpar production from TES being started. All that to say ( and my bragging about the one position I've been lucky at), I think dynasty wise TES look good, it's the redraft TES that are iffy

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:32 am

I think this is because:

-Eifert is out for the season
-Olsen broke his foot
-Reed has not been healthy at all

Those are three high-end TE1's.

jaykay22
Starter
Starter

Postby jaykay22 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:12 am

I think Brate is legit, and with him hitting FA this coming off-season, it could be an interesting situation to monitor.
#FreeCoreyDavis

Slackalacker
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Slackalacker » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:22 am

I'm sure happy I drafted Engram, his situation couldn't be better to be peppered with targets.
TEAM 1 - 10 team SF 1PPR | 2017 & 2019 League Champ
1QB/1SF/2RB/2WR/1TE/2FLEX
QB: Dak - Hurts - DangeRuss - Tua - Z Wilson - Mills
RB: Barkley - Zeke - Sanders - Pollard - Patterson - D’Ernest - Jermar - Evans - Jones
WR: Hill - JJeff - Higgins - Hollywood - MThom(IR) - Godwin(IR) - E Moore - Marshall Jr - Calloway - Palmer - D Brown
TE: Hock - Moreau

seahawks506
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby seahawks506 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:47 am

captain howdy wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:59 am I am rebuilding in a te premium, best ball, where there are two flex spots for rb/wr/te,

And have rostered ASJ, Kittle, Everett, Jonnu, and Ebron.

I feel great about the position going forward for both the NFL and my own team/roster.

I think we are amidst a changing of the guard in the top ten, and coupled with injuries it has caused some subpar production from TES being started. All that to say ( and my bragging about the one position I've been lucky at), I think dynasty wise TES look good, it's the redraft TES that are iffy
Yeah I've also got ASJ and Kittle- they could become solid mid-tier TE1's for years to come, and the good thing about the position is speculative adds are really cheap. I picked up Kittle after the rookie draft and ASJ was basically a trade throw-in. Redraft wise, I definitely recognized this after struggling to find fill-ins for Gronk last year; having an elite TE is a huge matchup advantage and if you can make up for it by hitting on a good QB/RB/WR sleeper late, it's worth it to draft someone like Kelce early.
orphan rebuild- 3 superflex, nerfed QB scoring 0.5/1/1.5 wr/rb/te PPR
QB: Hurts, Dobbs, Lance, Huntley, Bagent
RB: Swift, Kamara, Sanders, K. Mitchell, Foreman, CEH, Dowdle, Demercado
WR: Lamb, AJB, DK, Hollywood, Jakobi, Lazard, Boyd, Shaheed, Douglas
TE: Chig, Juwan, Conklin, Taysom, Smythe
Picks: 3 2024 2nds

rebuild 2: 1QB PPR
QB: Richardson, Pickett, Mayfield
RB: Achane, E Mitchell, Demercado
WR: Chase, Addison, QJ, J Palmer, Wan'Dale, Claypool, Douglas, Metchie
TE: Kittle, Mayer, Otton, Ferguson
Picks: 3 2024 1sts, 2 2024 2nds

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:30 am

I think it's a great year for TEs with the influx of talent. There are a number of guys who will be top options for years to come.

pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerface40 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:48 am

While I agree it is a crapshoot after the top 4 this year(already including Engram), there are plenty of options to pursue.

Older vets who should produce down the stretch: Jimmy, Delanie, Reed, Witten, Cook

Younger guys to target who will also produce this year: Henry, Brate, Hooper, ASJ, Kittle

Then you have the stashes: OJH, Njoku, Everret, Jonnu, Butt, etc.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:11 am

I am in a 2TE league.

I have Ertz.
But also Olsen & Eifert.

I am not starting a 2nd TE as my other 2 options are on bye (Fells & Anderson).

So yeah. Its ugly.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:19 am

Tier 1: 1. Gronk

Tier 2: 2. Reed

Tier 3:
3. Kelce
4. Ertz
5. Engram

Tier 4:
6. Who cares?

There are only like 3 or 4 TEs who can significantly outscore the pack: Gronk, Reed, Eifert, and right now Ertz. I expect Ertz to revert to the mean. Eifert might be a product of the system considering what Kroft has been doing the last couple weeks. Kelce is consistently good, but you can find a free agent who puts up comparable numbers every season, he's not worth the asking price. Gronk and Reed are undervalued, the gap between them and Kelce should be huge. Evan Engram is an amazing athlete and he's outperforming any rookie TE since probably Gronk, so I think he might be underrated right now, but there's no guarantee.

As for every other TE, unless you are in a deep league just grab one, it doesn't matter who. Stream them. A TE's likelihood of success is so low that it's not worth trying to predict whether Howard, Njoku, Hooper, Henry, or Kittle will ever be great. According to DLF ADP, Seferian-Jenkins was TE5 in June 2015, and then he wasn't worth anything this past off-season, and now he's actually playing like TE5. Were his owners right? Maybe, but it didn't matter, they probably dropped him.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:41 pm

Tsunami wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:19 am Tier 1: 1. Gronk

Tier 2: 2. Reed

Tier 3:
3. Kelce
4. Ertz
5. Engram

Tier 4:
6. Who cares?
I see it differently:
Tier 1: Gronk/Kelce/Ertz
Tier 2: Reed/Olsen
Tier 3 and below can be split up a lot of different ways.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

abecksta
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby abecksta » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:15 pm

Tier 1: Kittle
Tier 2: Gronk/Kelce/Ertz

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:23 pm

Tsunami wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:19 am As for every other TE, unless you are in a deep league just grab one, it doesn't matter who. Stream them. A TE's likelihood of success is so low that it's not worth trying to predict whether Howard, Njoku, Hooper, Henry, or Kittle will ever be great. According to DLF ADP, Seferian-Jenkins was TE5 in June 2015, and then he wasn't worth anything this past off-season, and now he's actually playing like TE5. Were his owners right? Maybe, but it didn't matter, they probably dropped him.
This is a fantastic point. Usually, breakout TE's are very cheap before it happens. Whether owners are trying to win now, or just get tired of waiting, impatience is inevitable. TE's usually take 3-5 years to really come into form. And if they do, what's the result? It's not necessarily an elite TE.

I do think there's a new guard developing with the current rookies, but given the bust rate, it's likely only a few will be long-term assets. Here's a list of TE's who've been drafted since 2010 (ignoring this year's class):

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... by=rec_yds

101 TE's.

How many are still assets right now?

Gronk
Kelce
Ertz
Reed
Henry
Rudolph?
Graham?

abecksta
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby abecksta » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:26 pm

For real though, don't invest in tight end. Grab free agents in good situations and hope for the best, when you inevitably hit, ride the points, trade for good value if you get the chance and have the depth. One of the best ways to gain longterm value on your teams.

Had Ertz backing up Olsen last year. Traded Olsen, Fuller, and Ty. Williams for Mike Williams in the off-season, now have Kittle backing up Ertz and the cycle continues.

fakespike13
Role Player
Role Player

Postby fakespike13 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:44 am

Chalk me up as the 3rd in this thread to have the ASJ/Kittle combo. I love my TEs but I'm in a deep league where TEs matter. I also have Butt coming off IR soon, and plan to have some patience with his development.
Auesome Ekcellent
2013, 2017, 2018 Champ
16 team PPR, 20 man rosters + 10 player taxi, QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 RB/WR, TE, D, K

QB: Wilson, Mayfield, Lance, Hill
RB: Kamara, Cook, Ekeler, CEH, Akers, Mattison, Ty Johnson, Funk, Nwangwu
WR: Tyreek, McLaurin, Diontae Johnson, Aiyuk, Golladay, Chark, Edwards, Shenault, Palmer, Dyami
TE: Kittle, Thomas

2022: 1,2,3,4,5

Irrational Integers
12 team SF
QB: Prescott, Watson, Minshew, D Jones, Newton
RB: Swift, J Williams, Akers, Cordarrelle, Mitchell
WR: Waddle, E Moore, Claypool, Patterson, R Moore, Bourne, Callaway, Treadwell
TE: Goedert, Shultz, Tonyan, Moreau, Parham