New line of thinking...

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Re: New line of thinking...

Postby Tsunami » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:58 pm

If he had only been able to run 18 mph would he have gotten caught from behind? Probably not, it is rare that top speed ever matters in the NFL. It didn't help him hit the hole in the first place. If he had outrun a CB and made a long catch in stride then I could see your point, but in this case it's just trivial. All he had to do was run the same speed as Sean Davis to score there.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:19 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:18 pm Should top speed be a new metric to evaluate RBs and WRs?

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/ja ... 02ngbmk50t
I always lean towards faster RB's...I think I read something somewhere a long time ago that led me to believe faster RB's always seem to get chances to play. Of course there is a long list of fast guys that can't play so its important that it is only weighted a bit more heavily and not the only thing you consider
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:27 am

I'm not a measurables guy and I'm about as "anti-combine" as they come because the majority of the numbers it yields do not give an indication of future success. That said, there is one and only one stat that has shown to be a minor predictor of success in the NFL. 40 times for RBs (and only RBs). Please note I am stressing the word MINOR predictor. Overall there is no measurable that is going to tell you much of anything.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:14 am

Top speed combined with weight. If a RB 225+ lbs runs over 22mph, it is significant. Fournette has been unbelievable this season while opposing defenses have been focused on stopping him. He is the best RB to enter the league in quite a long time, and is largely going unnoticed.

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:39 am

Combine does matter, analytics show it. Top speed not on the list. 40 time (sub 4.5), height 5'10"+ (although I think it's more how weight usually correlates with that height but not measured), burst (long jump 120" I think was number) 3 cone (forget the speed) in that order have been shown to correlate to success in NFL. Correlation does not equal causation so if you have Fournette (success in college, great tape, early NFL pick) compared to Tyler Ervin (scores better using analytics) you take Fournette because the numbers don't cause success but rather RBs that have succeeded more commonly share measures when analyzed.

WR...Kevin Cole and others have shown college performance is the best indicator, comps to current players and other metrics take a back seat. Same as RBs for the opportunity (draft capital) should always be considered.
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton
Hock F-muth
LWilliams Payne Reed Greenard
Bernard Kendricks Warner Baker Williams Tranquil
Budda McKinney Clark Wilson

1-2QB 2-4RB 3-5WR 1-3TE 11OFF/DEF
Herbert Stafford Brock Dobbs
Taylor Jacobs Mattison Kyren Jaleel Ford Bigsby
AJB Diggs Evans Kirk McLaurin Dionte Boyd Renfrow JuJu
Kelce Pitts Deguara
Hutchinson Rousseau Greenard Travon Demarcus
QWilliams EJones TBernard Dean ShaqT Kyzir
Amos Bates Peppers Murray Fitz Clark

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:51 am

dm1129 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:14 am Top speed combined with weight. If a RB 225+ lbs runs over 22mph, it is significant. Fournette has been unbelievable this season while opposing defenses have been focused on stopping him. He is the best RB to enter the league in quite a long time, and is largely going unnoticed.
This. If you're big and strong enough to break through the line and get into the secondary, you then have the speed to not get caught from behind from the secondary.
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:06 am

I think top speed is important but the size speed combo is very important and the real thing for me is and I noticed most recently with fast willie parker that name was always a misnomer to me as yeah he was fast but what made him most dangerous was how quick he was to top speed . If a guy gets to top end quicker than everyone else then in a rare shockingly rare instance of agreement with tsunami then he only need be as fast as the guys chasing him as he already built a lead.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:23 am

clarion contrarion wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:06 am what made him most dangerous was how quick he was to top speed . If a guy gets to top end quicker than everyone else then in a rare shockingly rare instance of agreement with tsunami then he only need be as fast as the guys chasing him as he already built a lead.
I always thought it was strange how Amari Cooper had such a fast 40 time but his 10-yard and 20-yard splits were actually very slow. Antonio Brown has a much slower 40 time but way better burst off the line.

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:05 am

saw061600 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:39 am Combine does matter, analytics show it.
Nope.

This line of reasoning is absolutely riddled with selection bias.

It may well be true. As of now, however, we cannot prove it is true.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:21 am

saw061600 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:39 am Combine does matter, analytics show it. Top speed not on the list. 40 time (sub 4.5), height 5'10"+ (although I think it's more how weight usually correlates with that height but not measured), burst (long jump 120" I think was number) 3 cone (forget the speed) in that order have been shown to correlate to success in NFL.
I don't know where you are getting your information but none of that is confirmed by any unbiased data that I've ever been able to find. I've searched all over the place for information related to the combine as a predictor of success and as I stated the only stat that has been documented as a predictor of success is the 40 time for RBs. If you can provide some links, that would be helpful. FWIW, only one study I ever found even mentioned the 40 data. All of the rest said there is no correlation from any of the data.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Slackalacker
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Slackalacker » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:25 pm

Top speed is only useful if:

A: you're able to make the move to get into the open field
B: your acceleration is also very very quick

The top speed of a guy catching bubble screens or running the ball is pretty useless if he can't get to the second level.
TEAM 1 - 10 team SF 1PPR | 2017 & 2019 League Champ
1QB/1SF/2RB/2WR/1TE/2FLEX
QB: Dak - Hurts - DangeRuss - Tua - Z Wilson - Mills
RB: Barkley - Zeke - Sanders - Pollard - Patterson - D’Ernest - Jermar - Evans - Jones
WR: Hill - JJeff - Higgins - Hollywood - MThom(IR) - Godwin(IR) - E Moore - Marshall Jr - Calloway - Palmer - D Brown
TE: Hock - Moreau

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:32 pm

skip wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:21 am
saw061600 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:39 am Combine does matter, analytics show it. Top speed not on the list. 40 time (sub 4.5), height 5'10"+ (although I think it's more how weight usually correlates with that height but not measured), burst (long jump 120" I think was number) 3 cone (forget the speed) in that order have been shown to correlate to success in NFL.
I don't know where you are getting your information but none of that is confirmed by any unbiased data that I've ever been able to find. I've searched all over the place for information related to the combine as a predictor of success and as I stated the only stat that has been documented as a predictor of success is the 40 time for RBs. If you can provide some links, that would be helpful. FWIW, only one study I ever found even mentioned the 40 data. All of the rest said there is no correlation from any of the data.
Here you go. And again, to be clear, correlation does not equal causation. We can look at who was successful and see how they did on combine measures, but we can't say (and anyone who says otherwise doesn't understand analytics) that just because a RB hits the numbers that quantify potential for success, they will automatically then succeed.
http://rotoviz.com/2016/02/which-measur ... vid=4cwUNh

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
Hock F-muth

Kelce Pitts Deguara

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:35 pm

Goirish374 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:05 am
saw061600 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:39 am Combine does matter, analytics show it.
Nope.

This line of reasoning is absolutely riddled with selection bias.

It may well be true. As of now, however, we cannot prove it is true.
That's not the definition of bias. Bias is influenced by our experience, which is often expressed by stating something is wrong because we haven't yet had experience to challenge our bias. Numbers, on the other hand, ignore bias and only seek correlation. Correlation doesn't "prove" anything; no human behavior/performance research is ever proven...there are always outliers and exceptions, it's a standard of research. However, we can absolutely use numbers to predict the likelihood of occurrence.
Last edited by saw061600 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
Hock F-muth

Kelce Pitts Deguara

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:41 pm

He increased the model this year, adding weight adjusted 40 times to predictive model. Again, it's only predicting the likelihood of success. For me, it's a nice start but there are many, many, many variables like round of draft, health, opportunity that obviously impact.
http://rotoviz.com/2017/03/the-2017-run ... vid=2KOesC

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield