Re: New line of thinking...

Postby spotxc » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:40 pm

I bet you're a conspiracy guy

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:41 am

Top speed doesn't matter, but "fast enough" does. I don't want a RB who registers a top speed of 4.7 at the combine. 4.55? Probably fast enough given he can shake defenders.

At the combine, the ONLY thing I care about is his ability to change direction aka move his hips left/right, especially on WRs. Other than that, I find the combine mostly useless for armchair QBs like us.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:47 am

Respectfully, you are incorrect.

“Bias,” when it is applied to any type of statistical or mathematical aggregation is relatively easily defined by which data we incorporate, how we incorporate them and why we choose to do so.

There are many types of defined bias that skew the interpretation and generalize-ability of statistical conclusions.

Selection bias is one of them.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:55 am

MEuRaH wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:41 am Top speed doesn't matter, but "fast enough" does. I don't want a RB who registers a top speed of 4.7 at the combine. 4.55? Probably fast enough given he can shake defenders.

At the combine, the ONLY thing I care about is his ability to change direction aka move his hips left/right, especially on WRs. Other than that, I find the combine mostly useless for armchair QBs like us.
its useless to you except it tells you how fast players are and you can also see and measure their agility. Seems like you are a bit conflicted.

Wait, are we talking about hips again? Sign me up for another round of that :P

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Goirish374 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:47 am Respectfully, you are incorrect.

“Bias,” when it is applied to any type of statistical or mathematical aggregation is relatively easily defined by which data we incorporate, how we incorporate them and why we choose to do so.

There are many types of defined bias that skew the interpretation and generalize-ability of statistical conclusions.

Selection bias is one of them.
Respectfully, it would probably be best to actually read the two links. Neither is "biased" but rather are regression analysis to determine what measurable data is predictive of success. Regression analysis doesn't care about what any of us think, how we feel, or our bias regarding conferences or what a RB should look like on tape. A regression analysis can't be biased as it's only goal it to take sets of data and look for correlation. It's not trying to prove anything but rather is looking to see if anything predictive exists. There is a "qualifier" from Cole where he defines, for the purpose of his analysis, what exactly equates a "top RB", or successful RB, is included in the analysis to avoid the perception of "bias". Does his qualifier create an acceptable definition of what successful means for RB? Now that is a question that can be debated.
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton
Hock F-muth
LWilliams Payne Reed Greenard
Bernard Kendricks Warner Baker Williams Tranquil
Budda McKinney Clark Wilson

1-2QB 2-4RB 3-5WR 1-3TE 11OFF/DEF
Herbert Stafford Brock Dobbs
Taylor Jacobs Mattison Kyren Jaleel Ford Bigsby
AJB Diggs Evans Kirk McLaurin Dionte Boyd Renfrow JuJu
Kelce Pitts Deguara
Hutchinson Rousseau Greenard Travon Demarcus
QWilliams EJones TBernard Dean ShaqT Kyzir
Amos Bates Peppers Murray Fitz Clark

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:01 pm

saw061600 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:01 pm Respectfully, it would probably be best to actually read the two links.
Yeah, it would be pretty irresponsible of me to comment without having read the linked material.
So. Yeah. I read them.
saw061600 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:01 pm A regression analysis can't be biased as it's only goal it to take sets of data and look for correlation.
I’m not trying to be a dick or pick fights here...but you keep saying things that are demonstrably untrue.

“Combine matters, analytics show it.”
“That’s not the definition of bias”
“Regression analysis can’t be biased”

Are you confusing bias with objectivity or quantification?

In the realm of statistical analysis “bias” is a technical term. It has defined and specific meaning(s). Any time there is a mismatch between what you expect to get/predict from what you can measure and what the truth is based on what you can’t measure, there is bias. That is most studies.

In statistics its not a pejorative term. It’s descriptive. Knowing and understanding how our models are biased is critical to being able to use them effectively (for prediction, evaluation, etc.).

The idea that regression analyses are not susceptible to bias is incorrect. There are even types of bias that are specific to regression analyses. Off the top of my head “omitted variable bias” comes to mind.

Again, i’m not trying to pick a fight here and i’m happy to leave off if I’ve pulled things too far afield.

I think we can all agree that a potential corellation is exciting and worthy of further study.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC