Dak & Dez's production without Elliott

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Detroitcity
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Dak & Dez's production without Elliott

Postby Detroitcity » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:43 pm

I just got offer a trade involving both Dak and Dez. When considering the offer, It got me thinking about the potential effect Elliott's suspension would have on both of them and I'm really not sure what to think.

My initial thought was Dez gets more targets and Dak probably throws a little more (so both would get an uptick) but without Elliott moving the chains or sucking in the defense on play action, it could hurt them. Obviously Morris or McFadden wont be garbage but they are no Zeke

Thoughts?

Slackalacker
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Dak & Dez's production without Elliott

Postby Slackalacker » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:22 pm

Whatever happens it will only be for about 6 weeks.

Personally I feel Defenses will be more locked in on the pass. Especially with Dalles' Oline looking worse than it has the last few years and DMC is another year older so the run won't be seen as a big threat. I still feel bad for Morris and hope he can have a great few games and get traded to a place where he can get more action.

I'd think passing attempts go up but that production stays around the same due to Defenses paying more attention.
Last edited by Slackalacker on Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TEAM 1 - 10 team SF 1PPR | 2017 & 2019 League Champ
1QB/1SF/2RB/2WR/1TE/2FLEX
QB: Dak - Hurts - DangeRuss - Tua - Z Wilson - Mills
RB: Barkley - Zeke - Sanders - Pollard - Patterson - D’Ernest - Jermar - Evans - Jones
WR: Hill - JJeff - Higgins - Hollywood - MThom(IR) - Godwin(IR) - E Moore - Marshall Jr - Calloway - Palmer - D Brown
TE: Hock - Moreau

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:34 pm

I think dak is going to get mauled, O-line isnt as good as before so he won't have as much time as last year. Zeke won't be taking all of the heat off of the receivers. Zeke won't force linebackers to sit back and fill run gaps, so expect more blitzes and more pressure overall on dak in the pocket.

Tbh never really thought dak was amazing. He is a great game manager making his name off of 5 yard passes and letting Zeke do all of the work. He hasn't been exceptionally accurate this year, he has missed dez quite a few times over the past few weeks.

Unless Alf and DMC can keep defences very honest I dont think either dak or dez will do well.
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:48 am

meh...I mean Elliott hasn't been exceptional this year and I don't think it is all the OLine. I think the suspension is in his head a bit too and leading the league in rushing as well.
Running game might actually be better because teams aren't going to fear DMC/Alf.

I think the real benefit is going to be for Witten/Beasley but with an uptick in the RZ for Dez.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:15 am

Problem with Dez is that he gets shut down by top corners too easily, so he becomes a spot start only vs. bottom 10 CBs, wish it was different, but it hasn't been ..
@PlankMelody

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:08 am

Plank,

What do you think is the explanation for Dez being "shut down by top 2/3rds of corners in the league"? I think that is a bit of an exaggeration but, I'll bite anyway. Is it lack of other explosive options? Lack of experience with Dak? Dez getting old and losing a step? Play-calling and game flow?

I think your take is a bit of a generalization but it isn't completely inaccurate.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:18 am

I listen to Talking Cowbys and Doomsday Podcast quite a bit and its like common knowledge .. here is a quote from Ed Werder after W2 who is one of the hosts of the Doomsday Podcast..

[qoute]

On Dak-Dez production ... Is Dez a 'descending' player or can Dak not make the throws to utilize his skills like Romo?

Werder: I think it's a great question, and it's one that really has to be a concern to the Cowboys because they're paying Dez Bryant to be an elite receiver. And yet, I think the stat I saw is that Dak has a QB rating of 29.1 when he throws to Dez - which is the fourth worst in the league - and he's thrown two interceptions trying to force the ball to Dez, who turned defender the other day and broke up at least another couple of potential interceptions.

Here's what I see - I think Dez is a guy who, at this point in his career, doesn't separate from defenders, especially the top-level guys like Janoris Jenkins, Aqib Tablib, probably like Patrick Peterson. So, he doesn't get a lot of separation. There are no easy throws. And Dak inherently doesn't put the ball in jeopardy. So, he doesn't ever see Dez as really being open.

When he defines open, it's not what Dez shows him. The defender is always in very close proximity, and quite honestly, he doesn't run a real great route tree. He runs very few routes. I think they've got to move him around, and I think they've got to run him across the field. I think he's effective running slants. I don't know why they don't use him more in that capacity.

To me, that's it. Dak is not a QB who is going to force throws, and Dez is a guy who does not create a lot of separation between himself and the defenders - at least when he is playing the elite guys like we're seeing at the early part of this season.

[/quote]
@PlankMelody

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:22 pm

Dallas really need to upgrade there WRs . Butler gets better separation than dez .. he really disappears way too much and Williams is one of the biggest bone heads in the league .. makes some really dumb plays nearly every game. written is old and long in the tooth...
This will only hurt the WRs even more imho
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:29 am

Yeah I think DAL needs one of those fast versatile type WR's ..
@PlankMelody

Concept Coop
Starter
Starter

Postby Concept Coop » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:11 am

nathanq42 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:34 pm Tbh never really thought dak was amazing. He is a great game manager making his name off of 5 yard passes and letting Zeke do all of the work. He hasn't been exceptionally accurate this year, he has missed dez quite a few times over the past few weeks.
58% of his passing yardage was through the air. For reference, Brady and Ryan were at 51% last year and Aaron Rodgers at 54%. He had the 3rd highest deep QBR last season. He's a top 5 fantasy QB today, despite less than 4YPC from Zeke and an offensive line unit that is struggling.

Yes, he missed Dez on a couple deep balls, and a slant and fade in the endzone. But he's no game manager and the Zeke offensive line excuses don't work this year. The kid is a stud.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stat ... ards/2016/

https://thelandryhat.com/2017/01/04/dak ... p-passers/

Concept Coop
Starter
Starter

Postby Concept Coop » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:18 am

Detroitcity wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:43 pm I just got offer a trade involving both Dak and Dez. When considering the offer, It got me thinking about the potential effect Elliott's suspension would have on both of them and I'm really not sure what to think.

My initial thought was Dez gets more targets and Dak probably throws a little more (so both would get an uptick) but without Elliott moving the chains or sucking in the defense on play action, it could hurt them. Obviously Morris or McFadden wont be garbage but they are no Zeke

Thoughts?
The production was set to increase based on the schedule. Dez has faced Jenkins, Harris Jr.; Peterson, and Johnson in the first 5 weeks. That's pretty brutal.

With Zeke out, I see more volume for both guys--obviously huge for Dez in PPR formats. The 3-and-outs will come a bit more frequently, unless the offensive line starts to play like it did last season--not a given, but a possiblity.

I personally see a bump for Dez and expect Dak's production to stay about the same. The dip in efficiency will be offset by the increased volume.