What is the standard for vetoing a trade?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
psu007
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: What is the standard for vetoing a trade?

Postby psu007 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:11 am

Samhain34 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:14 am I'm currently in one "Dynasty" league in which trades can be vetoed. It's year three and I've been doing pretty well despite injuries. Here's a two of my vetoed trades.
Last year: I was getting killed at WR and tried to swap Ajayi for DeVante Parker and was told that I was giving away the farm (I was the Ajayi owner). My idiot commish (He's a friend, but has the soul of a redraft player). Puts the trade on the message board leading with "I think this trade should be vetoed. The SAME commish this year week two trades me Diggs for Ajayi; calls it a great deal.

A few weeks later I try to trade CMC and S. Shepard (I'm pretty loaded at WR and we have shallow benches) for Corey Davis. Same thing; entire league goes crazy that I'm giving away the farm. I post links to dynasty trade calculators that show it's slightly in favor of the other owner, but my WRs are Alshon/Keenan/Kelvin/Diggs and Shepard won't near my lineup. They veto it. I somehow get CMC for Davis straight up through. People in the league call Corey Davis a WR 4/5 while CMC, after two decent weeks, was "a star".

My idiot commish then trades Ajayi away for Wentz (1QB) and, needing a running back, immediately sends Thielen for...wait for it....

Adrian Peterson.
In a supposed Dynasty league.

This is a league that let me walk away in the draft with Kamara in the second (draft is late Ausust, so the secret was out) and D. Foreman in the third. The only reason I'm not gone already is I'm friends with most of them and am starting a true dynasty league next season, so I don't want to walk off in a huff. But I will tell you this after being vetoed a few times:
I hate this league. Hate it. Being told how I can run my team by people who cannot understand dynasty valuations is miserable and I'm throwing my money away. If people want to trade, let them.

One more valuation story: When this league started three years ago I had the 1.02. Since it was dynasty I figured I'd take set it and forget it QB Andrew Luck, getting Mariota in the 8th as my backup. You already know how that's worked out. Luck has been constantly injured and Mariota is missing time every year with him. "Taking care of my QB position" has led me to starting (over the years) Josh McCown, Smokin' Jay, Big Ben (in away games), Jacoby Brissett, Brian Hoyer, Trevor Siemian, et. al. THAT is why people need to be allowed to make their own deals. Again, I'm leaving a fun league with friends over the rage at being told how I can run my team, and by extension, spend my money.

Anybody who supports vetoing trades (save collusion) can go soak their head.
I get why this paints veto's in a negative light, and I'm not advocating veto's, but this just sounds like a crappy league which to me is the core of the issue.
Team 1 - 12 Team, PPR, All 6TD

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 FLEX, K, D

QB - Cousins, Luck, Mayfield
RB - Elliot, Thompson, McKinnon, Penny, Michel, Miller, E.McGuire, Foreman, Ekeler
WR - OBJ, Robinson, K.Allen, C.Davis, Allsion, M.Bryant, C.Coleman, Moncrief, P.Richardson, Chark
TE - Reed, Gathers, Shaheen, Seals-Jones
K - Jake Elliott
D - NE, MIA
Picks - 2019: 3-5

Team 2 - 12 Team, SF 0.5 PPR, 4/6TD

1 QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1SF, 1FLEX, 1TE

QB - Cousins, Goff, Tannehill, Mayfield, Jackson
RB - Gurley, Ingram, Coleman, Clement, Booker, Rawls, Samuels
WR - Hilton, Fuller, Moore, Byrant, Locket, Moncrief, Rogers, Miller, St.Brown,
TE - Gesicki, Clay, McDonald, Andrews
Picks - 2019: 1,2,3x2,4

psu007
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby psu007 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:25 am

My problem is, collusion is damn near impossible to prove. I'm the commish of the team in my sig, and we're in our 2nd season with this being the first Dynasty league for all of us. So mid way through last year, two friends of mine (like in my wedding friends) make a trade. Bell for a 17 1st and 2nd, Gio, and Paxton Lynch. Now keep in mind I have it set so I approve trades, and truly don't believe in vetos. I process the trade and everyone goes into an uproar, honestly I think it damn near came close to ruining the league. I immediately had to go to bat for them and basically tell people I trusted these two and bad trades were allowed.

Here's the thing, I really was up in the air if the trade was collusion. The owner giving up Bell had not been active, even left a kicker empty a week during a bye, and the part that burned me up the most, he never shopped him or gave any indication he was on the market. To add onto this, I'm in a redraft league with these two and the guy that gave up Bell is a notoriously tough one to trade with, almost always has to win the deal, and frankly competes very well. The trade made no sense, especially for Lynch b/c he already owned Wilson and Luck at QB. To make matters worse the guy giving up Bell offered to quit the league at two different points after this b/c of the uproar it created, I encouraged him to stay b/c I knew the other owners would really blow up if that happened. Finally as the second season approached he gave me some crap about being busy and I finally had enough and said I'd find someone else. The guy who got Bell won the league that year handily b/c he had a stacked team, with his one flaw being a hole at RB2, and has to be the favorite this year.

This trade didn't pass the smell test for me and turned this team into a super power. But what was I supposed to do? I couldn't prove collusion and to this day I'd like to believe these two guys wouldn't do that to me. Overall it's a tough subject IMO, especially in Dynasty b/c not only does it affect things in the current season, but potentially years to come.

RB - Elliot, Thompson, McKinnon, Penny, Michel, Miller, E.McGuire, Foreman, Ekeler
WR - OBJ, Robinson, K.Allen, C.Davis, Allsion, M.Bryant, C.Coleman, Moncrief, P.Richardson, Chark
K - Jake Elliott
D - NE, MIA

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:23 pm

The one mistake you made was to talk the guy giving up Bell out of quitting.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:34 pm

Yeah, I echo the sentiment that some of you need to find better leagues. I've been playing for about 6 or 7 years now across 4-6 leagues, and I've never even seen a veto vote, much less a trade reversal. If someone tried to argue an Ajayi for Parker trade should be reviewed, we'd probably kick him out of any league I'm in, was in, or will ever be in (channeling a bit of Brett Hart today).

:lol:

Generic Username
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Generic Username » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:49 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:34 pm Yeah, I echo the sentiment that some of you need to find better leagues. I've been playing for about 6 or 7 years now across 4-6 leagues, and I've never even seen a veto vote, much less a trade reversal. If someone tried to argue an Ajayi for Parker trade should be reviewed, we'd probably kick him out of any league I'm in, was in, or will ever be in (channeling a bit of Brett Hart today).

:lol:

Thanks for that...reading this while playing on Netflix and subconsciously I now have an entire evening of wrestling documentaries and one MST 3000 movie centered around female wrestling planned

ETA: hope the wife doesn't try and veto my choices *high five*

gausec
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby gausec » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:07 pm

I'm pretty against vetos, however I do think sometimes it is necessary. For example, I am in a league where there are two bad teams. Team A decided he would get 1.01 this year no matter what, and dropped Rivers and Alex Smith so he didn't have a starting Qb. Our league told him for fairness he would have to keep those guys. He then decided to trade them for a 5th round at which point we vetoed.

This is something more extreme, and not typically come up.
12 team, 1PPR: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, Flex, Flex
QB: Brees, Smith, Bortles,
RB: Zeke, Freeman, Buck Allen, Duke, Burkehead, D. Lewis, A. Peterson, C. Grant, Blount
WR: Hilton, Thielen, G. Tate, Edelman, Fuller, Cobb, R. Matthews, C. Meredith, Ginn, Amendola, Pryor, Hurns, J. Matthews
TE: Kittle, Eifert, Brate, McDonald, J. James
IR: K. Dixon, Jermey Hill

2019 Picks: 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th
2020 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 5th

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:17 pm

To me a veto is sorta like nuclear weapons. It's their to keep everyone from doing something real dumb. Without nukes, we'd probably be at WW5 or 6 by now.

psu007
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby psu007 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:36 am

Tsunami wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:23 pm The one mistake you made was to talk the guy giving up Bell out of quitting.
I couldn’t risk it, brand new league that I was honestly worried could be ruined.

K - Jake Elliott
D - NE, MIA

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:36 am

Tsunami wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:24 pmsimply using good judgement, something you can't seem to understand.
Good grief.

“Good judgment” is precisely the straw man you rail against.

You don’t seem to understand why.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC