O-lines

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

O-lines

Postby AussieMate » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:36 pm

I don't want this to be a discussion of RB talents, more their o-lines. I've invested in players like Gordon and Mixon and I'm wondering did I make a mistake... Can an oline be fixed in one year or will it be multiple years before they improve? Is it all the players or can a good offensive coach improve them in the same way the Rams offense looks so much better than last. This isn't an area I know alot about so would like some knowledge from the dynasty collective!

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: O-lines

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:47 pm

The Rams offensive turnaround isn't normal. You will not find many teams who go from arguably the worst offense in football to the best. The Rams assembled a great coaching staff (McVay, LeFleur, Kromer, Phillips, Fassel, etc.), added some key players in Andrew Whitworth and John Sullivan and have a terrific scheme.

It's possible to fix an offense in a year or two, though not to that level. To answer the question, you really just have to be patient and believe in the talent first. There's always going to be turnover on the quality of offensive line and coaches will move on to better jobs because of success.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:01 pm

For the running game the general area of concentration should start with the interior .. inside out so to speak ..

LG, C, RG Top rated Centers often boost the Running game significantly .. all 5 are important of course, but if I didn't know anything about OL's in general I would start there ...

But before you dig into OL's and individual players, I'd suggest getting to know the coaches and offensive coordinators first and what kind of schemes they like to run .. so much is about fit and scheme .. if you understand what a coach wants to do, it will help to see if it is being executed or not ..
@PlankMelody

ImaRounder
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ImaRounder » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:37 pm

Lines are just as fluid as everything else. I distinctly remember people saying how Cincy had one of the top five lines in the league and Minn had a bottom five around draft time. I think it's also clear that Dallas is missing Doug free and Ron Leary big time. They are no longer that line that can take over games.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:49 pm

Yeah, even if you know most of the OL, you also have to know the first G off the bench, and the swing Tackle for each team ..

Then how each fares in pass protection vs run blocking, its a lot of work .. it can be done though, takes a lot notes ..
@PlankMelody

steelman
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby steelman » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:24 pm

Plank wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:49 pm Yeah, even if you know most of the OL, you also have to know the first G off the bench, and the swing Tackle for each team ..

Then how each fares in pass protection vs run blocking, its a lot of work .. it can be done though, takes a lot notes ..
Yep, but all that work can be for nothing with an injury or two. Suddenly a good OL is not so good. That's why you should try to get the most talented players with the highest draft pedigree. A team will stick with a high talent guy and will do what they have to do to fix the running game. A team will quickly move on from a lesser RB that doesn't produce, regardless of the reason.

It's not as simple as talent at RB or the OL either. Scheme and dedication to running is important. Is a coach willing to run on 3rd and 4? What about 2nd and 10? If the answer is no, that team likely won't have a successful running attack because the coaching isn't determined to run the ball. There's a reason certain coaches always seem to have strong running attacks, even when they switch teams, lose assistants, etc.

Moral of the story though, a very talented RB will have success eventually because the coaches will make sure of it, or the coaches will get replaced. A lesser RB might have success in a good situation, but it likely won't last and the team will eventually move on (Steven Ridley, Zac Stacey, etc.)

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:41 am

Plank wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:01 pm For the running game the general area of concentration should start with the interior .. inside out so to speak ..

Agree 100% with this. Back when I owned Ivory (on the Jets), I would bench him whenever the Center Nick Mangold was inactive. Ivory's productivity was night and day based on Mangold. It's a shame they let him walk. Both of them, for that matter.
The standard is the standard.