Buy Low Time - Jordan Matthews

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Re: Buy Low Time - Jordan Matthews

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:04 am

jman3134 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:10 pm How is it fair to blame JMatt for any chemistry problems with TT during the first four weeks of the season?
But it isn't 'chemistry'. Matthews just wasn't getting open. He's grading better than Jones, Holmes, and Clay, but he's still been only a bit better than replacement-level (the other guys have been grading below replacement-level).

PFF will penalize the QB's grade every snap they see him missing open receivers. Taylor's grade hasn't been getting dinged because he is indeed finding Matthews and the other guys when they're actually open. Which isn't often.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:45 am

ninotoreS wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:04 am
jman3134 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:10 pm How is it fair to blame JMatt for any chemistry problems with TT during the first four weeks of the season?
But it isn't 'chemistry'. Matthews just wasn't getting open. He's grading better than Jones, Holmes, and Clay, but he's still been only a bit better than replacement-level (the other guys have been grading below replacement-level).

PFF will penalize the QB's grade every snap they see him missing open receivers. Taylor's grade hasn't been getting dinged because he is indeed finding Matthews and the other guys when they're actually open. Which isn't often.
Who is this PFF guy and why isn't he on this thread stating his own case for/against Matthews? :lol:

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:07 am

ninotoreS wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:28 pm Not before the 4th quarter of last week's game.
Actually, yes. Injury heavily factored in before week 4. He was acquired late, and was injured day 1 or 2 of practice. He couldn't practice all preseason if I remember right. That means he had no time with Tyrod. No time himself to get acclimated and fit again.
Hell he was injured the entire offseason. While still on the Eagles, he was nursing his knee through all of OTAs. As soon as he got the knee right, he was traded and then quickly injured his ribs.
You can fairly knock him for getting injured a lot if you want. I don't think weeks 1-4 are a fair judgement of his ability given the entirely missed offseason.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:14 am

rubber_duck wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:45 am
ninotoreS wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:04 am

Who is this PFF guy and why isn't he on this thread stating his own case for/against Matthews? :lol:
The issue with PFF. It's simply not as objective as presented.
Also...there is such a thing as throwing to a guy BEFORE he gets open. It's all about foresight, placement and trajectory. There's a reason the term "throwing him open" exists. Often a wr will still have his coverage still close by, but he has the correct positioning to make a rather uncontested catch given the right ball placement and trajectory. That's throwing a guy open. I doubt PFF penalizes a QB for missing these passes or not throwing them to begin with. I doubt they reward a wr for getting in the correct position if they aren't targeted.

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:40 am

Valhalla wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:14 am The issue with PFF. It's simply not as objective as presented.
Fully agree with this. Some of these "advanced analytics" are good to help give added perspective on players. Some of these AAs amount to little more than another person's opinion cloaked as data.

When someone starts backing their opinion of a player (for good or bad) and citing some of these AAs as fact, then I just stop reading.

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:41 am

rubber_duck wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:40 am
Valhalla wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:14 am The issue with PFF. It's simply not as objective as presented.
Fully agree with this. Some of these "advanced analytics" are good to help give added perspective on players. Some of these AAs amount to little more than another person's opinion cloaked as data.

When someone starts backing their opinion of a player (for good or bad) by citing some of these AAs as fact, then I just stop reading.

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:43 am

I haven't watched the tape in depth to really say enough, but I never thought of JMatt as someone who is not athletic enough to create separation from the defense. Perhaps it is the routes he is running or the defensive coverage on him? Again, it is not like he has had much time to develop chemistry with his QB. Also, how is the sample size large enough if they are only throwing 25 times per game?

Unless he is truly playing injured, I cannot imagine JMatt is lacking the explosion to get open.

With that said, I have never been a huge fan of JMatt, but feel he is being sold short here. In Philly, he had no problem gaining separation from his defenders and he often faced difficult coverages. However, he was prone to drops and mental errors, which often frustrated Eagles fans.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:01 am

Would anybody sell Duke Johnson to acquire him at this point? My team is 0-4 and I'm generally open to taking on injured players from legit contenders if the deal makes sense.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:53 am

btv802 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:01 am Would anybody sell Duke Johnson to acquire him at this point? My team is 0-4 and I'm generally open to taking on injured players from legit contenders if the deal makes sense.
Duke might get it done. Could be a good value play for you if you're looking to move on from DJjr.

Lockett may be another starting point if the Matthews owner in your league needs WR production this year. Lockett had a lot of hype at one point, but is on pace for another 600 - 700 yard season ... but that is no more than a box score generalization.

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:01 am

I took a gamble on him yesterday. Always liked his game, but truth is he's disappointed production-wise.

Add in "exile" to BUF and injuries, including a new month-long one, and it's easy to see how plenty of owners are just tired of the guy.

Ultimately, I'm hopeful, but realistic on JMatt - I'll move on in 2018 if it makes sense.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:18 am

DLF3000 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:01 am I took a gamble on him yesterday. Always liked his game, but truth is he's disappointed production-wise.
What did you have to give to add Matthews, if you don't mind sharing?

Concept Coop
Starter
Starter

Postby Concept Coop » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:46 am

No thanks. He's just not very good. The odds of him being a #1 this time next year are close to zero.

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:08 pm

rubber_duck wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:53 am
btv802 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:01 am Would anybody sell Duke Johnson to acquire him at this point? My team is 0-4 and I'm generally open to taking on injured players from legit contenders if the deal makes sense.
Duke might get it done. Could be a good value play for you if you're looking to move on from DJjr.

Lockett may be another starting point if the Matthews owner in your league needs WR production this year. Lockett had a lot of hype at one point, but is on pace for another 600 - 700 yard season ... but that is no more than a box score generalization.
Not necessarily looking to move on from him, he's young and talented (at least I think so) but do think he's probably worth more to a contender right now while he's in a good situation to score fantasy points on a bad real life team playing from behind all season. Similarly I'm trying to limit potential points to a certain extent right now so JMatt makes sense for me.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:53 pm

rubber_duck wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:18 am
DLF3000 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:01 am I took a gamble on him yesterday. Always liked his game, but truth is he's disappointed production-wise.
What did you have to give to add Matthews, if you don't mind sharing?
Waiver pick up. We're 270 players deep in-season, so it surprised me a little bit when the owner gave up on him.

Had been trying to trade with him for JMatt for a week - before the injury news hit. Then I just revoked them. And then he just dropped him for Ricardo Louis. Even some JMatt truthers have had enough I guess.

Technically, I gave up (dropped) Eric Decker. He's been far worse than expected plus I'm rebuilding. Curious to see what he does this year and next before I move on too.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:02 pm

Big, slow and not physical enough. He's had golden opportunities since entering the league and he hasn't done much.