Doug Martin Price Check

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Re: Doug Martin Price Check

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:58 am

Just chiming in here to advise Martin owners think twice before starting Martin for Week 5. Being a Thursday night game, Koetter might opt to use Martin sparingly since he's not in game-form yet and this is a short practice week for the Bucs.

Quizz was very good yesterday and graded well according to PFF in Week 2 (Week 3's game-script made that week's performance a wash), so Koetter isn't going to feel pressured to throw Martin back in with a heavy load immediately.

More to the point of the thread topic... I consider Martin worth a mid-late '18 2nd.

I don't hate Martin at all, but Quizz is better than people appreciate and Koetter loves him, but more importantly, Martin will be 29 to start next season and will have a cap hit of nearly 7 million. It is plausible Tampa releases him in '18, and 29-year-old RBs with Martin's career to this point generally aren't hot commodities in free-agency. And even if Tampa does keep him for '18, you can bet your butt they'll have some RBs high on the board for '18's draft.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:24 am

Martin was suspended from practice week 1...then they didn't play. They moved his game suspension back due to the bye week switch. Does that mean he was still suspended from practicing with the team? Or has he started practicing over the past week?

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:30 am

TheRookiePro wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:49 am
flashgordon12 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:42 am early second/late first in most of my leagues it appears
WHAT?! That inconsistent midget who has had only 2 great seasons to go along with 4--yes I'm already counting this season--horrible seasons, is being sold for a pick somewhere between #10-14 overall?
So. in your world then, Doug Martin, is worth a future 3rd round rookie pick? hmmm kay. It's a good thing you are on these forum threads. This site offers a lot of information and it looks to me that based on your comments, that - you have a bit to learn when it comes to value and dynasty. There comes a time when winning is important. Now (in the season) is that time for owners looking to contend.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:43 am

JFever wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:30 am So. in your world then, Doug Martin, is worth a future 3rd round rookie pick?
He didn't say that. He said he doesn't agree that Martin is worth 2.2 or higher.

If you have to put words in a guy's mouth during a debate, your argument is probably weak. And then you followed that up with ad hominem fallacy, so...

You know, it's not even guaranteed Martin will waltz back into clear feature-back status. It's possible he and Quizz timeshare, in which case neither of them will be worth much as a win-now asset. Certainly not the 2.2 or better in '18 (which as of now is looking like another rich class, btw).
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:25 am

Ninotores, I know what he said. What I don't know though is what is your point? What was the point of your interjection? I mean really? what was it that you brought to the table there?

hominem fallacy.... lmfao. So, if a dude is counting This season as one of 4 BAD seasons and Martin has yet to step on to the field, IM THE ONE YOU QUESTION? Seriously. What does this say about you? Try some of your own hominem fallacy medicine. :wall:

I am fully capable of reading and comprehending what I read. Thanks. Maybe you could Read back through the thread. I saw the one where Martin was referred to as an "inconsistent midget". Did you see that one? Not sure if you did. Probably worth discussing a touch, no? Not only did he say that Martin wasn't worth a 1st or 2nd... (which he is entitled to have his opinion) he said much more than that... He also admitted to simply not liking Martin. So... It did make some sense.

Anyway, When I responded, I was looking to A). Clarify just how someone who hates D.Martin, refers to him as an inconsistent Midget would value him at this time in the season in a dynasty setting. Martin, a running back, a 3 down starting rb with little real competition for carries, who is fresh and has no bye in 2017 to be concerned with. A 29 year old running back who has a 1,400 + yd season under his belt on an offense that WANTS to and needs to run the ball. *** B.) Quizz is a JAG, so is C.Simms.... and McNicols.. Martin has shown work horse ability. Honestly, regaurdless of your personal opinion on Martin, By default, he's their best option on an up and coming offense, with a weak defense. Seems to me he'll have some red zone / goal-line opportunities coming. Seems to me they would want to have a balanced attack and at times kill the clock. He also had / or was said to have had a great off season for what it's worth.

Also, just to be VERY clear, I'm not putting words in anyone's mouth and - my argument isn't weak - its rational. Many don't understand the fluctuations of market value between off season and in season. When injuries start piling up and bye weeks start coming into the picture, and owners are figuring out whether they are in the hunt or not, inevitably there is and always is a running back positional shortage. Always. Because of that, selling Martin NOW to a contender means that he very likely IS worth an early 2nd. I wouldn't personally move a 1st but I sure the hell would move a 2nd for a starting rb if I was thinking I'd contend.

It isn't complicated.

Besides, NO ONE is selling Mixon at a discount ANYWHERE in dynasty. Well, no one that is informed I should say. What the crap was that ? We aren't talking redraft.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:30 pm

I can't believe anyone would be willing to pay a 1st for Martin at this point. He turns 29 in a few months, coming off suspension, looked bad last time he was on the field, and no one even knows what his role will be once he's back. If you're competing and looking for someone to help you, why would you target Martin if you have to pay that for him. There are other, better backs that you should be able to get for a 1st.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:33 pm

Dirk Koetter wants to run the ball and not rely on Jameis Winston to throw 30 times a game. The TB defense when healthy is probably top half in the league and will allow for good game scripts. Doug Martin (injury and suspension aside) is by far the most talented RB on that roster. If healthy, Martin has a low end RB2/high end flex floor and low end RB1 ceiling.

Feel free to disagree, but I value Martin as a late 1st or early 2nd. However, I will say that I would acquire Jacquizz Rodgers on the cheap (early 3rd?) wherever possible after Martin returns to hedge on your investment. Rodgers is clearly "the guy" if Martin were to get hurt or suspended again.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:42 pm

First, if you're looking for a RB, don't target specific players; instead, target bad teams looking to unload their RBs.

Now suppose you find a bad team with Martin. What should you offer? No way I'm willing to pay a 1st, late or otherwise. Let's say our wildest hopes for Martin are true, and he immediately begins producing like a mid-RB1. What will he cost to acquire from that bad team? A mid-late 1st, because no one's going to give an earlier pick. Maybe you'll have to pony up a late 2018 2nd on top of the 1st, but even then it's worth minimizing the risk by seeing how Martin will perform. And in the all-too-likely event he produces more like a mid-RB2, you'll be able to get him for a 2018 mid-2nd in two weeks.
Download the 2019 Cohort Report for free today!

roseyknee
Role Player
Role Player

Postby roseyknee » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:54 pm

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:33 pm Doug Martin (injury and suspension aside) is by far the most talented RB on that roster.
He was also the most talented RB on that roster last year when he was being outplayed by Rodgers. Realistically, its probably to late to try to buy Martin- the hypes been building since the offseason. If I owned him, I would sell for any 1st, but wouldn't pay more than a 2nd.

TheRookiePro
Starter
Starter

Postby TheRookiePro » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:19 pm

JFever wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:30 am So. in your world then, Doug Martin, is worth a future 3rd round rookie pick? hmmm kay. It's a good thing you are on these forum threads. This site offers a lot of information and it looks to me that based on your comments, that - you have a bit to learn when it comes to value and dynasty. There comes a time when winning is important. Now (in the season) is that time for owners looking to contend.
Show me where I wrote that.

Doug Martin is DONE! He is 28, coming off of a suspension, and the previous year he averaged 2.9 yards per carry. He has always been inconsistent. I never bought into his hype. Even after his rookie season, he showed his inconsistency. He had 1 legendary fantasy game against the horrendous 2012 Raiders. And a handful of good/great games, the rest was mediocrity and just plain bad. Anyone who decided to hold onto him after his comeback 2015 season, it's your own fault.

I traded D. Murray and a 2019 3rd round pick last week for a 2019 1st round pick. I recognized that 75 yard TD run against Seattle as a moment to capitalize on. Doug Martin will probably have a few good games mixed in with crap this season, don't be fooled and allow a D. Martin owner to capitalize on your foolishness.
10 Team PPR, 25 man roster(1st and 2nd year player PS option for $20), QB, 2 RB, 3WR, TE, FLEX (RB,WR,TE), K, DEF.

QB-Luck, A. Smith, Fitzpatrick
RB-Gurley, M. Gordon, Jeff Wilson, Tevin Coleman,T. Montgomery, John Kelly, Justin Davis
WR-K. Allen, T. Hill, Josh Gordon, Golladay, Fitzgerald, S. Watkins, J. Reynolds, Enunwa,
TE-Burton, Ebron, Walker
K-Gostkowski
Defense-Vikings, Jaguars, Ravens

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:29 pm

You are allowed to have your opinion. As am I. Thus far, only a qtr and a few min into his return, he isn't looking DONE to me. Just the eyeball test though. He looks to be fresh, as he should. Running strong with good burst. At least that's what I'm seeing. That looked like a TD run to me... bad spot too. Anyway, sweet hard run and dive over line by Doug. To a contender that may be dealing with byes and injuries, (there's been a few ) Martin is easily worth a future 2nd.
Last edited by Jfever on Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flashgordon12
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby flashgordon12 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:31 pm

Doug Martin is DONE!
Flash in the Pan: 12 team PPR (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1DEF) 25 man rosters

QB- Andrew Luck, Josh Allen
RB- MGIII, Mixon, Cohen, Devonta Freeman
WR- AB, Odell Beckham Jr., Josh Gordon, Tyler Boyd, Marqise Lee, Sutton, MVS
TE- Gronk, Higbee
DEF- Denver

steelman
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby steelman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:33 pm

Doug Martin looks explosive so far.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:38 pm

I regret selling him :boohoo:
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:40 pm

What did you sell him for?