Winning at all costs vs enjoying the ride

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
aticodejon
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Winning at all costs vs enjoying the ride

Postby aticodejon » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:39 pm

So I find myself putting out trade offers for just about every Rams player, for 2 reasons:

1 It generally seems like good investment since it is a crappy team probably on the rise.
2 I like the idea of starting in dynasty (it's my startup year) with several players from that team and developing my team along with them.

Do those look like good reasons for trading? In a more philosophical bent, what's the most common balance among you guys between enjoying a narrative or a personal fandom versus always looking at cold hard value and winning?
14 team Full PPR scoring 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1R/W/T, 1TE, 1K, 1DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1IDP, 10Bench, 1IR
QB- J.Goff / B.Mayfield
RB- D.Cook / J.Mixon / A.Jones / K.Johnson / J.McKinnon / D.Guice
WR- M.Thomas / K.Allen / M.Evans / C.Sutton / D.Parker / A.Callaway
TE- E.Engram / C.Herndon
k- W.Lutz
DL- C.Jones
LB- B.Wagner / A.Williamson / J.Schobert
DB- K.Byard / J.Reid / J.Johnson / K.Neal

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Winning at all costs vs enjoying the ride

Postby maxhyde » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:55 pm

whatever floats your boat....I say do things the way you want.
I try different things in different leagues...to some degree...I always like winning but sometimes it is fun to try some things that aren't out-of-box setups.

I think there are probably faster ways to with less luck/randomness to make money so I treat it like a hobby that I spend money and time on for little return. Like fishing. The fact there is not always a financial loss is just a bonus
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:47 pm

I would say that it's a self-limiting way to play a dynasty league. If all you do is seek out players from your favorite team then eventually the Rams will sign or draft a top player that you won't be able to afford if you haven't also built dynasty value otherwise. If you seek out Rams as a side-project while also trying to build a good dynasty then that could be more feasible, but your opportunistic leaguemates will probably realize this and take advantage of your homer-ness by beating you to the punch and then ransoming them to you above cost. But if you're just dabbling in Rams and doing it smartly I see no problem with that. I love the Raiders but I try to avoid them in fantasy because I'm aware that I tend to overpay otherwise.

I am in leagues with some very active and competitive people and with some who are just in it for fun. It wouldn't be fun for me to check on my losing team once a week, but if they find it enjoyable who am I to argue? Sometimes the active players who take the league seriously are the ones arguing and/or losing, and the casual players are the ones laughing, so there's no right way to play. I am also in a league with a guy who never does anything except draft and he's got one of the best teams in the league, so you won't necessarily lose, but I think he has been very lucky.

On another note, last year I was kicked out of a nice type of league that you might like. It was a keeper league based on NFL teams, where you had to keep a certain number of Rams if your team was the Rams, and everyone else had their own team. It was fun to have a solid core of Raiders and then also have Gronk, for example, and to try to rebuild and outperform your favorite team. Maybe you should look for a league like this instead of trying to do this in an open dynasty league.

ImaRounder
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ImaRounder » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:55 pm

I have fun leagues with buddies and serious leagues with unknowns and each league provides a different part of fantasy that I enjoy.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:59 pm

There's a balance in there somewhere. Just you finding it for yourself. Obviously more fun when you collect a team of guys you like for whatever reason and want to root for not just because they'll help your team but agree as stated above that sometimes it just comes down to luck (not Andrew).

It'll just be your tolerance level to potentially losing as having a very specific plan can take much longer to being competitive.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:18 pm

I'm a mcvay believer. This offseason I got Gurley, goff and Everett. Would have loved to get Kupp too.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:30 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:18 pm I'm a mcvay believer. This offseason I got Gurley, goff and Everett. Would have loved to get Kupp too.
I'm with you. I love Sean McVay's offense. He's arguably the best offensive mind in the NFL.

I don't see an issue with owning multiple players from the same team for trade value. However, to win you'll have to break it up because players can eat into each other's numbers. The most I can see is an RB/WR or QB/WR combo.

But, ultimately it's dynasty and it's your team. Structure it so that you get the most enjoyment and excitement out of it.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:31 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:30 pm
Space Cowboy wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:18 pm I'm a mcvay believer. This offseason I got Gurley, goff and Everett. Would have loved to get Kupp too.
I'm with you. I love Sean McVay's offense. He's arguably the best offensive mind in the NFL.

I don't see an issue with owning multiple players from the same team for trade value. However, to win you'll have to break it up because players can eat into each other's numbers. The most I can see is an RB/WR or QB/WR combo.

But, ultimately it's dynasty and it's your team. Structure it so that you get the most enjoyment and excitement out of it.
I flipped goff++ in a 2 QB league for DJ and sent off Everett and Ingram in a TE premium for Baldwin.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:50 am

the goal should be to have fun playing fantasy football. if its fun for you to own everyone from your favorite team. i see no problem with it. ive never really been cut throat when it comes to my teams and the game in general, but am finding alot more owners that are these days.

if you truly want to stack your team with guys from the same team...your likely to find it a tough road because you are essentially eliminating guys from your team that your willing to trade. our game is based off buying low and selling high long term, if you have 4 guys that you arent willing to trade...thats 20% or so of your roster that is off limits to negotiate with. couple that with the fact that your stack will result in a likely playoff birth...you may always have mid to late picks. you will have to be the owner willing to take risks when it comes to buying low on guys, and also be the patient owner when your guys are going through a rough stretch. thats risky business and especially so when you've eliminated a significant portion of your team from trade negotiations.

if you do want to take this approach, i would do the best i could to add studs around your stack. that way you dont have to worry about the whole buying and selling aspect of everything. you just know that your keeping your studs reguardless of how things are going.

TaquitoPeddler
Rookie
Rookie

Postby TaquitoPeddler » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:09 am

Definitely depends on the risk/reward. One league I play in has a relatively high buy in. I'm much more analytical in that league. To the point where it almost feels like work sometimes. The other two I'm in are just small home leagues. I find myself having much more fun with those tinkering the rosters with players I like to watch. I find myself enjoying the process of playing fake GM and not really caring too much if I win the championship or not.