Week 3 Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Week 3 Discussion Thread

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:11 pm

Plank wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:08 pm He is still crumbling under pressure though Giles ..
True. Collinsworth noticed that Goff is backpedaling when there's pressure and falls into sacks. But, he looked like had a lot of clean pockets to throw from for the most part. The 49ers do have a formidable front 7. The additions of Whitworth and Sullivan have really helped the pass blocking.

I think it's reasonable to believe that Goff will keep playing well.

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:19 pm

It's funny how quickly a player can be defined by his rookie season. Goff is a very talented QB. What Jeff Fisher did to this offense last year was criminal. Goff was basically ignored/not developed last year because Fisher's staff was clueless. In some ways, this season could almost be considered Goff's rookie year. Long term, I think it would be a huge mistake to underestimate him. Also, people are starting to recognize just how good McVay is.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:21 pm

I should also add that Robert Woods, both last week and this week, has a lot of fight on him, he has been fired up and I think he is making a tremendous difference on this team. He might not be great for fantasy, but from what I've seen from him the last two weeks, I'd be happy to have him on my team ..
@PlankMelody

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:44 pm

dm1129 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:19 pm It's funny how quickly a player can be defined by his rookie season. Goff is a very talented QB. What Jeff Fisher did to this offense last year was criminal. Goff was basically ignored/not developed last year because Fisher's staff was clueless. In some ways, this season could almost be considered Goff's rookie year. Long term, I think it would be a huge mistake to underestimate him. Also, people are starting to recognize just how good McVay is.
Im going to disagree. This oaf didnt even know which direction the sun rises and sets. More importantly he stunk in college and didnt even have a 1st rnd draft grade till, as usual, the QB needy teams drove him up the board. His ceiling, if everything goes right, is Alex Smith.

Edit: I do agree with your comments about Fisher though.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:49 pm

Bengals should honestly be ashamed for letting Whitworth go, LA needs to carry that man everywhere he goes.

Started Kupp this week ( :thumbdown: ) but nice to see LA's offense click. I wonder if Sammy's is more precautionary....dude still had the cognitive ability to fight through 2 tacklers into the EZ.

EDIT: "More importantly he stunk in college"

Lol I'd love to hear where this comes from. CAL was a bad program but Goff's progression/trajectory from being a true freshman was good to see (leading them to a decent season in 2016). Go back and look at his surrounding cast as well, any legit NFL'ers? Hardly. Davis Webb takes over, who did lose a few playmakers but he didn't win games.

QBs become overvalued and forced up draft boards every year, remember that during the initial draft stages Mahomes wasn't a first round pick (let alone almost a top 10 selection) and for those clamoring for Josh Allen....yes, CAL has much better scrub players than Wyoming but Goff was at least able to produce....where Allen has really sucked so far this year.

Frankly, I'm not championing that Goff has arrived but I will say he's played pretty damn well this year (so far) when a lot of people already made up their minds.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:26 pm

dm1129 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:19 pm It's funny how quickly a player can be defined by his rookie season. Goff is a very talented QB. What Jeff Fisher did to this offense last year was criminal. Goff was basically ignored/not developed last year because Fisher's staff was clueless. In some ways, this season could almost be considered Goff's rookie year. Long term, I think it would be a huge mistake to underestimate him. Also, people are starting to recognize just how good McVay is.
Maybe not defined but could be ruined by it. I think David Carr is the precautionary tale for QBs who get thrown out there. Developed bad habits from a terrible offensive line and never recovered. Looks like Goff is salvageable but he's not going to get many games with so little pressure.

And yes, Fisher sucks but somehow he'll be replacing McAdoo in NY next year...

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:39 pm

onetwothree wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:26 pm
Maybe not defined but could be ruined by it. I think David Carr is the precautionary tale for QBs who get thrown out there. Developed bad habits from a terrible offensive line and never recovered. Looks like Goff is salvageable but he's not going to get many games with so little pressure.

Defined in the minds of many FF owners.....Goff is abysmal, a bust, etc....it was absolutely ridiculous how quickly judgement was passed down on him by many. It was even stated in this thread that he stunk in college(bizarre). The reality is he has a passer rating of 118.2 after three games into his second season while averaging over 10 ypa.

Jason
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jason » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:58 pm

lol I can so see this happening, Jeff Fisher and the Mara family are the definition of the "good ol' boys network" in the NFL. Since I can't stand the Giants this would be truly awesome and besides that we were all cheated out of seeing him break the all-time career losses record when he got fired right before that thursday nighter.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:14 am

Bot101 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:44 pm
Im going to disagree. This oaf didnt even know which direction the sun rises and sets. More importantly he stunk in college and didnt even have a 1st rnd draft grade till, as usual, the QB needy teams drove him up the board. His ceiling, if everything goes right, is Alex Smith.

Edit: I do agree with your comments about Fisher though.
It's a Rams thing. Sammy believes in flat earth, ex-Ram William Hayes doesn't believe in dinosaurs, Jeff Fisher doesn't believe in nuance, etc
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:04 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:14 am
It's a Rams thing. Sammy believes in flat earth, ex-Ram William Hayes doesn't believe in dinosaurs, Jeff Fisher doesn't believe in nuance, etc
Didn't one of the Rams believe in mermaids?

Gotta love Hard Knocks...

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:07 am

dm1129 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:39 pm

Defined in the minds of many FF owners.....Goff is abysmal, a bust, etc....it was absolutely ridiculous how quickly judgement was passed down on him by many. It was even stated in this thread that he stunk in college(bizarre). The reality is he has a passer rating of 118.2 after three games into his second season while averaging over 10 ypa.
I don't think the average FF owner can be blamed for this. When surveying the NFL landscape the first & best tool available is the box score. It is also where our FF games are won and lost. However, box score generalizations do not give any advantage when playing dynasty fantasy football. Everyone knows what the box scores are. It is the contextual analysis that can be improved on.

Knowing each player's situation (coaching, game use, etc, etc) takes a lot of time and effort. As FF owners we can't do that for every meaningful fantasy player. An organization such as ESPN can, but they choose to spend their vast resources on crap analysis. What a waste.

Goff was a fine QB prospect and is proving to be a capable NFL player. With his skill set and that coaching staff, I would recommend buying on the next value drop.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:25 am

I liked Goff coming out. The thing with him is he's got a great intermediate ball. But he's not the most mobile guy, he needs the line to protect him. He's not the type of QB that is going to create much on his own. He really does remind me of Bradford in a lot of ways.

However, he has faced a couple of terrible teams so far. The defenses get cranked up for the next couple months. I think Dallas is supposed to have a decent defense. Then you have Seattle, Jax, Arizona, Houston, Minny, Arizona, Seattle, Tennessee, Eagles the rest of the season with a few easy matchups like the Saints sprinkled in. It's going to be tough sledding I think for Goff.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:33 am

Could be that McVay's system props up mediocre QBs. Cousins was garbage before McVay and has regressed a fair bit this year.

Further, Goff has only played weak teams so far (they're 1-6 as a group with the loan win coming against the Rams). If you're going to chastise people for jumping to conclusions on one season, maybe your counter point shouldn't be a three game run against bad teams...
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:37 am

ericanadian wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:33 am

Could be that McVay's system props up mediocre QBs. Cousins was garbage before McVay and has regressed a fair bit this year.

Further, Goff has only played weak teams so far (they're 1-6 as a group with the loan win coming against the Rams). If you're going to chastise people for jumping to conclusions on one season, maybe your counter point shouldn't be a three game run against bad teams...
This is too funny. Goff has 10 starts total. NO ONE knows exactly how good he is going to be, yet everyone is now looking for excuses to explain his success. This is exactly what I was describing.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:06 am

ericanadian wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:33 am Further, Goff has only played weak teams so far (they're 1-6 as a group with the loan win coming against the Rams). If you're going to chastise people for jumping to conclusions on one season, maybe your counter point shouldn't be a three game run against bad teams...
I get it, no one has/will expect anything from INDY (until/if Luck returns) and the only reason SANFRAN is being talked about is b/c of Shannahan and how he coaches this year. But putting up 40 points on two NFL teams is pretty damn good, this SF victory for Goff is far more impressive considering LA's defense was pretty atrocious in the 3rd and 4th (save Aaron Donald/bad decision on the 2pt by Taylor).

Yes, LA has a tough stretch coming up and we need to see Goff continue with solid consistency but you'd expect good/competent QBs to put up points/stats against bad teams and so far..........Goff has done that.