Recovery from bad to slow start

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
darkadun
Role Player
Role Player

Recovery from bad to slow start

Postby darkadun » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:24 pm

So, barring a really good game from Abdullah and Golladay tonight, I'm likely to go 0-2 in both leagues. Which is extremely frustrating, especially since I feel like I have a contender that is underperforming, and have lost to subpar teams.

So, I'd like hear some stories on your worst starts to seasons and if you've been able to come back and make the playoffs. Is 0-2 a death sentence or recoverable from?
QB: Lamar Jackson, Matthew Stafford
RB: Dalvin Cook, D'Andre Swift, Chris Carson , Jerrick McKinnon, Alexander Mattisson
WR: DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, Adam Thielen, Will Fuller, Darius Slayton, Brandon Aiyuk, Keelan Cole,
TE: Evan Ingram, Drew Sample, Cole Kmet

Dr.Graffin
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Recovery from bad to slow start

Postby Dr.Graffin » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:29 pm

Maybe not 0-2, but the past 2 two years in the same dynasty league, both runner-ups in the finals started the year 3-6 (meaning they won the final 4 games of the regular season and won 2 straight playoff before losing in the finals). Getting hot at the right time matters a lot.

So I wouldn't freak out about starting 0-2. It happens.
Last edited by Dr.Graffin on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 Team Non-PPR, 6pt TDs-22' R/U, 23' R/U
1QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, 1TE, 2Flex (W/R/T), 1K, 1DST
QB: P. Mahomes, R. Tannehill
RB: D. Achane, D. Henry, J. Mixon, A. Ekeler, M. Sanders
WR: T. Hill, D. Smith, D. J. Moore, D. Samuel, T. Higgins, D. Hopkins, O. Beckham, J. Metchie
TE: T. Kelce, C. Kmet, H. Henry, M. Gesicki
K: J. Tucker
D/ST: Baltimore, Jacksonville
2024 Picks: 4.9

12 Team .5 PPR, 6pt TDs
1QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, 1TE, 3Flex (W/R/T), 1K, 1DST
QB: J. Herbert, J. Love
RB: S. Barkley, J. Cook, I. Pacheco, Br. Robinson, D. Pierce, D. Singletary
WR: D. J. Moore, T. Higgins, J. Waddle, Z. Flowers, C. Watson, J. Downs, J. Dotson, R. Shaheed
TE: T. McBride, H. Henry, M. Gesicki, C. Okonkwo
K: T. Bass
D/ST: Jacksonville, Indianapolis
2024 Picks: 2.7, 3.2, 4.11

Fantasyfanatic11
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Fantasyfanatic11 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:31 pm

I wouldn't stress. Once bye weeks and injuries start piling up, the true contenders stand out from the rest. Also, need some luck too.

2 years ago, went undefeated and lost in Round 1.
Last year with the same team, I started 0-4 and made the playoffs and lost in the finals.
16 team PPR
QB: Herbert Purdy Garoppolo Winston
RB: Chubb Bijan Kamara White Singletary Gainwell CEH Penny
WR: Cooper Moore Dotson Beckham Mooney Mingo Renfrow
TE: LaPorta Kittle Waller

16 Team PPR
QB: Herbert
RB: A.Jones Elliott Spears Gainwell Fournette
WR: Kupp Olave M.Williams Flowers OBJ Dotson Johnston Palmer Claypool
TE: LaPorta Schultz Njoku

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:34 pm

3 or 4 years ago I started 0-2 in a redraft league. After that I won 9 of my next 10 games, made the playoffs and won the championship.

A year ago in a redraft I started 2-3, made the playoffs and lost in the Finals.

I was in a league a few years ago where someone squeaked into the playoffs with an 8-5 record and won the championship.

0-2 isn't preferrable, but it's not a death sentence. Fantasy football is random enough to where you can recover from it. The last thing you want to do is shake up your team too much and not make any progression. But, you should also be aware enough to know which players are likely to improve and which aren't. Also, as FantasyFanatic said, injuries and bye weeks will test depth and even things out.

Looking at your team, I think you should just be patient.

Cousins/Bell/Abdullah/Thomas/DT/Hopkins/Gronk is a very good team. Once Bell gets his rust off, you should be in better shape.

darkadun
Role Player
Role Player

Postby darkadun » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:42 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:34 pm 3 or 4 years ago I started 0-2 in a redraft league. After that I won 9 of my next 10 games, made the playoffs and won the championship.

A year ago in a redraft I started 2-3, made the playoffs and lost in the Finals.

I was in a league a few years ago where someone squeaked into the playoffs with an 8-5 record and won the championship.

0-2 isn't preferrable, but it's not a death sentence. Fantasy football is random enough to where you can recover from it. The last thing you want to do is shake up your team too much and not make any progression. But, you should also be aware enough to know which players are likely to improve and which aren't. Also, as FantasyFanatic said, injuries and bye weeks will test depth and even things out.

Looking at your team, I think you should just be patient.

Cousins/Bell/Abdullah/Thomas/DT/Hopkins/Gronk is a very good team. Once Bell gets his rust off, you should be in better shape.
Great, thanks for the replies everyone. Needed to be talked off a ledge. lol.
RB: Dalvin Cook, D'Andre Swift, Chris Carson , Jerrick McKinnon, Alexander Mattisson
WR: DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, Adam Thielen, Will Fuller, Darius Slayton, Brandon Aiyuk, Keelan Cole,

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:42 pm

Cousins too, he often has slow starts ..
@PlankMelody

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:58 pm

Depends on your league. 6 playoff teams in a 10 team league and you can start 0-6 and still make it. The league champ in my 16 team superflex started 0-4 because Brady was suspended, but we have 8 team playoffs so he limped in at 6-7 and won. However, I'm in a 20 team dynasty league with 6 playoff teams, and I started 1-4 last year and was basically already eliminated even though I was 4th overall in points.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:01 pm

In my opinion - it is if you go 0-3 you are in trouble.
I have seen 0-2 teams make the playoffs many times.

In league 1 of mine: 4 playoff teams of 10 teams total, 0-2 start made it.

In league 2 of mine: 6 playoff teams of 12 teams total, 0-2 start made it and won it all.

I wouldn't be concerned, yet.

darkadun
Role Player
Role Player

Postby darkadun » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:30 pm

Tsunami wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:58 pm Depends on your league. 6 playoff teams in a 10 team league and you can start 0-6 and still make it. The league champ in my 16 team superflex started 0-4 because Brady was suspended, but we have 8 team playoffs so he limped in at 6-7 and won. However, I'm in a 20 team dynasty league with 6 playoff teams, and I started 1-4 last year and was basically already eliminated even though I was 4th overall in points.
Wow, thats a good point. Its a 10 team, 6 makes playoff. My other league has only 4 playoffs which does make a difference.

darkadun
Role Player
Role Player

Postby darkadun » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:32 pm

Plank wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:42 pm Cousins too, he often has slow starts ..
Tell me about it. I'd easily be 2-0 if it wasn't for him. Hoping he pulls it together.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:43 pm

0-2 is not a death sentence by any means, you just have a slightly smaller margin for error. How many teams end up with 3 and 4 losses and still make the playoffs? Plenty. All you can do is win your game the upcoming week and go from there as corny as that sounds.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:52 pm

It depends WHY you're 0-2. Look at your roster, look at the league. If 6/10 teams make the playoffs, then a losing record will almost always get in.

A few years ago in a 12-team league, I started 0-3 and 2-6. In one week, I pretty much overhauled my entire roster through trades and free agency and didn't lose again that season. A couple of years ago in a 10-team league (with 6 playoff spots), I started 1-5 and made the playoffs as the 6th seed. Alas, I scored the second-most points in the first round of the playoffs and got bounced (but I would have won the 'ship, scoring the most points every other week)... but I made the playoffs.

So, figure out WHY you're 0-2. Then determine your next step.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

darkadun
Role Player
Role Player

Postby darkadun » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:44 pm

moishetreats wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:52 pm It depends WHY you're 0-2. Look at your roster, look at the league. If 6/10 teams make the playoffs, then a losing record will almost always get in.

A few years ago in a 12-team league, I started 0-3 and 2-6. In one week, I pretty much overhauled my entire roster through trades and free agency and didn't lose again that season. A couple of years ago in a 10-team league (with 6 playoff spots), I started 1-5 and made the playoffs as the 6th seed. Alas, I scored the second-most points in the first round of the playoffs and got bounced (but I would have won the 'ship, scoring the most points every other week)... but I made the playoffs.

Wow, very interesting. Encouraging tho, as I think I address my problems. Although luck seems to be a big factor and sometimes it's a simple matter of a start sit decision.

darkadun
Role Player
Role Player

Postby darkadun » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:44 pm

moishetreats wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:52 pm It depends WHY you're 0-2. Look at your roster, look at the league. If 6/10 teams make the playoffs, then a losing record will almost always get in.

Wow, very interesting. Encouraging tho, as I think I address my problems. Although luck seems to be a big factor and sometimes it's a simple matter of a start sit decision.

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:53 am

Phaded wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:01 pm In my opinion - it is if you go 0-3 you are in trouble.
Depends on why you are 0-3, the first championship I won in my league I started out 0-3. From that season forward I've never finished worst than 3rd.

Now this year I sit at 0-2 and have a roster that should be outscoring everyone in my league by at least 10-20 points per week (roster in signature). Things happen. You pick up and move forward. I will most likely still make the playoffs and from there I have a strong shot to win it all.
12-team Non-PPR QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, K, DEF
QB: Herbert, Tanny
RB: Chubb, Stevenson, AJ Dillion
WR: AJ Brown, M Evans, M Williams, D London, C Olave, Jameson Williams, M Thomas
TE: D Njoku
K: Butker

2023: 1.01, 2.01
2024 early first, late first