Zampese out, Lazor in as Bengals OC

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Zampese out, Lazor in as Bengals OC

Postby onetwothree » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:13 pm

Can't wait to see Hill finally get a chance to be the bell cow!

Let the rookies play!

CK_
Role Player
Role Player

Postby CK_ » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:44 pm

Lazor did really good in his short tenure with the Dolphins. Wasn't he fired become of Joe Philbin? A lot of issues was going on with the dolphins during that time and I remember Lazor being great during that time.

They need to trade Gio and Hill for some OLine, which is definitely possible, just matters if they are willing to do it....
14 Team .5 PPR Return yards
QB: Luck, Mayfield
RB: Elliot, Mixon, Guice, Ekeler
WR: Diggs, C. Davis, Gordon, Lockett, M. Williams, Godwin, John Brown, Tre'Quan Smith
TE: Gronk, Burton, Goedert
K: Gostkowski
D/ST: Jax, Chiefs

gmoftheyear
Captain
Captain

Postby gmoftheyear » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:45 pm

Thank God. As an owner of Dalton things can only go up. Totally disgusted watching last night. Zampese was bad last year and finally it showed in the first couple of games.
QB- R. Wilson, Garoppolo, Fields, Ridder, Rudolph, Hooker
RB- Ekeler, Mostert, Pacheco, Dillon, Dobbins I/R
WR- Metcalf, Pickens, Higgins, DJ Moore
TE- Kincaid, Higbee
K- Aubrey
Def- Denver, Pittsburgh

No PPR, Start 2 QBs, 2 RBS, 2 WRS, 1 TE, 1 FLEX,1 K, 1 DEF/ST. 6 pts all touchdowns
2002 Points Champion, 2007 HTH Champion, 2014 HTH Champion

ProjectMayhem11
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby ProjectMayhem11 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:04 pm

CK_ wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:44 pm Lazor did really good in his short tenure with the Dolphins. Wasn't he fired become of Joe Philbin? A lot of issues was going on with the dolphins during that time and I remember Lazor being great during that time.

They need to trade Gio and Hill for some OLine, which is definitely possible, just matters if they are willing to do it....
Lazor and Philbin did clash with their offensive views. Philbin would have thrown the ball every down if he could have.
12 Team/23 Roster (PPR, 5pt/TD) QRWWWTFFKD

Devy 1
Q: Rivers, Garoppolo
R: Mixon, Cook, Bernard, Drake, McGuire, R. Freeman
W: Green, A. Robinson, Crabtree,Kupp, Treadwell, Godwin, Goodwin, St. Brown
T: Kelce, Howard, Andrews, ASJ

Devy 2
Q: Stafford, Prescott
R: Mixon, Guice, Du. Johnson, Bernard, Drake, McGuire, Riddick
W: A. Robinson, K. Allen, Cooks, Doctson, Treadwell, Lee, Boyd, Cole, Enunwa
T: Ertz, Njoku, Gesicki, ASJ

Devy 3
Q: Stafford, Garoppolo, Dalton
R: Mixon, Crowell, Riddick, Carson, McGuire, R. Jones II
W: Hopkins, D. Thomas, Doctson, Crabtree, K. Benjamin, Hurns, Godwin, Perriman, St. Brown
T: Kelce, Rudolph, Andrews

Devy 4
Q: Stafford, Goff
R: Mixon, Collins, Bernard, Du. Johnson, R. Freeman
W: Cooks, Diggs, Doctson, M. Jones, Juju Smith, Godwin, J. Matthews, Cole, St. Brown, Boyd, Carroo, Perriman
T: Kelce, Andrews, ASJ

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:04 pm

CK_ wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:44 pm Lazor did really good in his short tenure with the Dolphins. Wasn't he fired become of Joe Philbin? A lot of issues was going on with the dolphins during that time and I remember Lazor being great during that time.

Supply and demand says it's not possible to trade mediocre RB's for offensive line help. Have you noticed there's a lot of crappy O-line play in the NFL the last few years? It's because of a dearth of quality options at the position. Teams that have decent linemen aren't trading them away for a position viewed as replaceable as RB.

I blame the proliferation of spread offenses in college for the decline in O-line play in the NFL. The majority of linemen coming into the league from its "farm system" don't have the requisite skills to perform in a pro-style offense. Something is going to have to give here, or the quality of the game will suffer long-term. That, or the NFL game will have to change to more closely resemble the collegiate game that young players are accustomed to playing.

I agree with your take on Lazor from what I remember. He did do a pretty good job, but as you mention there was a lot of dissatisfaction with Philbin for how he managed games and after constantly finishing around .500 or worse the team had enough of him after a few years. Lazor didn't last long after that firing and the move was probably more about cleaning house in Miami more than anything he did specifically. He's sure moved around a lot though. I'm don't know if that's good or bad?
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:21 pm

Just the increased pace alone should benefit the offense. Lazor worked under Chip Kelly for awhile.

CK_
Role Player
Role Player

Postby CK_ » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:25 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:04 pm

Supply and demand says it's not possible to trade mediocre RB's for offensive line help. Have you noticed there's a lot of crappy O-line play in the NFL the last few years? It's because of a dearth of quality options at the position. Teams that have decent linemen aren't trading them away for a position viewed as replaceable as RB.

I blame the proliferation of spread offenses in college for the decline in O-line play in the NFL. The majority of linemen coming into the league from its "farm system" don't have the requisite skills to perform in a pro-style offense. Something is going to have to give here, or the quality of the game will suffer long-term. That, or the NFL game will have to change to more closely resemble the collegiate game that young players are accustomed to playing.

I agree with your take on Lazor from what I remember. He did do a pretty good job, but as you mention there was a lot of dissatisfaction with Philbin for how he managed games and after constantly finishing around .500 or worse the team had enough of him after a few years. Lazor didn't last long after that firing and the move was probably more about cleaning house in Miami more than anything he did specifically. He's sure moved around a lot though. I'm don't know if that's good or bad?
Definitely true, I think I forgot when writing how much the OLine is valued especially during the season compared to the RB position. It seems like teams will trade RBs during the season with no real consequence. But getting an OLineman no matter what the skill is like finding a needle in a haystack. In recent years I feel like the bulk of OLineman only get traded and signed during the offseason. When the season starts and you didn't invest then you are basically sheet out of luck. I think Vikings were potentially a good example of that last year.
14 Team .5 PPR Return yards
QB: Luck, Mayfield
RB: Elliot, Mixon, Guice, Ekeler
WR: Diggs, C. Davis, Gordon, Lockett, M. Williams, Godwin, John Brown, Tre'Quan Smith
TE: Gronk, Burton, Goedert
K: Gostkowski
D/ST: Jax, Chiefs