rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Taywan Taylor

Postby rubber_duck » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:39 am

I'm making my call.
Planting the flag.
Staking a position.

Taywan Taylor should follow the same development curve that Diggs has ... maybe without the injuries.

Okay, there, I've said it. Now go ahead and hammer away. :wink:

whodunnit
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Taywan Taylor

Postby whodunnit » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:17 am

I'm on board with this. I thought he was pretty underrated coming out, granted he didn't play for a big school. I like the kids talent and think he will be the #2 or #3 option in Tennessee before years' end, and I believe Mariota can support that.

2017: 31/580/2
2018: 77/985/6
Watson Goff Purdy
Pierce Swift Robinson Conner Patterson
Hill Lamb Pittman Williams Renfrow Samuel
Hockenson Knox Kmet Schultz

CK_
Role Player
Role Player

Postby CK_ » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:55 pm

I love Taywan Taylor. He played great against stiffer competition.

2016 - Alabama: 9 for 121
2015 - LSU: 10 for 103

I feel he's been brushed off because of the hype surrounding Corey Davis and everyone believing they want to focus on the run and thinking that offense can only support one WR.
14 Team .5 PPR Return yards
QB: Luck, Mayfield
RB: Elliot, Mixon, Guice, Ekeler
WR: Diggs, C. Davis, Gordon, Lockett, M. Williams, Godwin, John Brown, Tre'Quan Smith
TE: Gronk, Burton, Goedert
K: Gostkowski
D/ST: Jax, Chiefs

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:32 pm

He graded out very high in Harmons Reception Perception and I think the general consensus is that he's a good receiver but just bases on draft capital Davis will see more use, Mariota averages about 31 attempts per game over his career and considering how much they like to use the tight end in that offense there's just not enough volume to support two consistent receivers, I'll pick Taylor up off waivers in a couple years if/when he ends up on another team.

I do like his talent though.
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:09 pm

StableOfRBs wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:32 pm He graded out very high in Harmons Reception Perception and I think the general consensus is that he's a good receiver but just bases on draft capital Davis will see more use, Mariota averages about 31 attempts per game over his career and considering how much they like to use the tight end in that offense there's just not enough volume to support two consistent receivers, I'll pick Taylor up off waivers in a couple years if/when he ends up on another team.

Not sure how prudent it is to assume Mariota's pass attempts per game from his first 2 seasons will be his rate for his entire career. I agree that it is unlikely he passes Davis on the depth chart, but I am not as skeptical that he can't be fantasy relevant next to Davis starting in 2018.

But that is probably why I have him in 4/7 dynasties, and am actively trying to increase that ratio. He has been my target in the 3rd and 4th all offseason.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

A-train
Starter
Starter

Postby A-train » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:04 pm

I like him. I traded ASJ for him and a 2nd round pick in my 20 team league. That pick will probably be in the 30-40 range but I preferred Taylor over ASJ anyways. The pick was just an added bonus. I think he ends up being somewhat fantasy relevant when Decker leaves next year. If he can pass Mathews on the pecking order then I could see him being a low end fantasy wr2 to a wr3 next year.
Team 1: France Les Bleus: 20 team .5 ppr dynasty league. Starters in Bold
QB: Andrew Luck, Marcus Mariota
RB: Ezekiel Elliot, Alex Collins, D'onta Foreman, Chris Carson, James White, Kenneth Dixon
WR: Mike Williams, Chris Godwin, DJ Moore, Laquon Treadwell, Taywan Taylor, Josh Malone
TE: Eric Ebron, Hunter Henry, Adam Shaheen
D/ST: Patriots, Saints

Team 2: New England Patriots: 24 Team standard league. Starters in Bold
QB: Patrick Mahommes, Josh Rosen
RB: Royce Freeman, Nick Chubb, Phillip Lindsay, Derius Guice, Melvin Gordon
WR: DJ Moore, Courtland Sutton, DJ Chark, Desean Hamilton, Laquon Treadwell, Equanimous St. Brown, James Washington
TE: Gerald Everett, Adam Shaheen, Hunter Henry
Def: Titans

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:29 pm

jtd1387 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:09 pm
StableOfRBs wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:32 pm He graded out very high in Harmons Reception Perception and I think the general consensus is that he's a good receiver but just bases on draft capital Davis will see more use, Mariota averages about 31 attempts per game over his career and considering how much they like to use the tight end in that offense there's just not enough volume to support two consistent receivers, I'll pick Taylor up off waivers in a couple years if/when he ends up on another team.

Not sure how prudent it is to assume Mariota's pass attempts per game from his first 2 seasons will be his rate for his entire career. I agree that it is unlikely he passes Davis on the depth chart, but I am not as skeptical that he can't be fantasy relevant next to Davis starting in 2018.

But that is probably why I have him in 4/7 dynasties, and am actively trying to increase that ratio. He has been my target in the 3rd and 4th all offseason.
Never said they'd continue that way for his entire career, that could very well change, but his numbers so far are all I have to go on and I really don't think it's likely to change, they've already secured a quality RB for the next few years in Henry and spent a good deal of draft capital on making their OL one of the best in the league. That and even when Walker is gone they still have Jonnu Smith who they really like and should be a quality receiving TE when he needs to step up as the starter. I'm just saying that Taylor's path to fantasy relevance is an uphill one.
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:

CharlieKelly
Starter
Starter

Postby CharlieKelly » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:50 pm

StableOfRBs wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:29 pm
jtd1387 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:09 pm Not sure how prudent it is to assume Mariota's pass attempts per game from his first 2 seasons will be his rate for his entire career. I agree that it is unlikely he passes Davis on the depth chart, but I am not as skeptical that he can't be fantasy relevant next to Davis starting in 2018.

Never said they'd continue that way for his entire career, that could very well change, but his numbers so far are all I have to go on and I really don't think it's likely to change, they've already secured a quality RB for the next few years in Henry and spent a good deal of draft capital on making their OL one of the best in the league. That and even when Walker is gone they still have Jonnu Smith who they really like and should be a quality receiving TE when he needs to step up as the starter. I'm just saying that Taylor's path to fantasy relevance is an uphill one.
This sounds eerily similar to the way Diggs started his career. Mike Wallace was locked in as their WR1, Rudolph as the TE1, and the Vikes were still a run first team that centered around AP.

All i'm saying it talent finds its way onto the field sooner or later, and rookie WRs rarely have an impact early on in their careers. Nobody should be expecting a ton out of Taywan right now honestly.

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:53 pm

CharlieKelly wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:50 pm
jtd1387 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:09 pm Not sure how prudent it is to assume Mariota's pass attempts per game from his first 2 seasons will be his rate for his entire career. I agree that it is unlikely he passes Davis on the depth chart, but I am not as skeptical that he can't be fantasy relevant next to Davis starting in 2018.

This sounds eerily similar to the way Diggs started his career. Mike Wallace was locked in as their WR1, Rudolph as the TE1, and the Vikes were still a run first team that centered around AP.

All i'm saying it talent finds its way onto the field sooner or later, and rookie WRs rarely have an impact early on in their careers. Nobody should be expecting a ton out of Taywan right now honestly.
Except for the fact that Davis is a first round rookie with a whole career ahead of him, unlike Wallace and Henry is a younger player with his whole career ahead of him, unlike AP and the Titans spent much more money/picks improving their OL with the purpose of running a ton, unlike the Vikings.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:24 pm

Kinda seems like the start of this sentence was not necessary. I never said it would continue, until 6 words later in the sentence when I say it will continue :lol: Anyway, just b-busting.

TEN seemed to have an MO of adding receiving weapons for Mariota this offseason. That typically precedes a team moving to passing the ball more. We shall see, but I think there is room for 3 receiving weapons. If it is between Taylor and Matthews, my money is on Taylor by 2019. If it is between Taylor and Smith, my money is on Taylor any day for the rest of their career (and I like Smith). Either way, I am excited about the Titans offense going forward, and want talented pieces of it. I think Taylor and to a lesser extent Smith fit that bill with a relatively cheap price tag.

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:00 pm

jtd1387 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:24 pm

Kinda seems like the start of this sentence was not necessary. I never said it would continue, until 6 words later in the sentence when I say it will continue :lol: Anyway, just b-busting.

TEN seemed to have an MO of adding receiving weapons for Mariota this offseason. That typically precedes a team moving to passing the ball more. We shall see, but I think there is room for 3 receiving weapons. If it is between Taylor and Matthews, my money is on Taylor by 2019. If it is between Taylor and Smith, my money is on Taylor any day for the rest of their career (and I like Smith). Either way, I am excited about the Titans offense going forward, and want talented pieces of it. I think Taylor and to a lesser extent Smith fit that bill with a relatively cheap price tag.
Guess I should've been more clear, I don't think it's going to change, but I'm not gonna say that it definitely won't.

The only qbs I can think of off the top of my head who had 3 viable receiving options for fantasy last year were Flacco and Brees who had 673 attempts each, compared to Mariota's pace over the last two seasons of 480, jumping 150-175 attempts a year is gonna take a major shift in offensive philosophy that I just don't see happening any time soon (like in the next 3-4 years soon).

CK_
Role Player
Role Player

Postby CK_ » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:27 pm

Eh, I think it's kinda crazy to believe that Walker, Matthews, and Decker are the ones to block Taylor out of being fantasy relevant.... Walker was the only legitimate target honestly in Mariotas first year and New QBs tend to lean on a big target early in their career, especially big bodied receivers like a TE. And then he moved onto Matthews last year and that went well with someone that wasn't considered a high end talent. Now they signed Corey Davis and Taywan Taylor in this years draft to fill the roles of the WR position that will grow with Mariota. These guys were drafted in the first 3 rounds so obviously they want to have a balanced offense that highlights Mariotas arm.

This may hurt some people's feelings but Henry just isn't as good as what people make him out to be, but they don't need much behind that monstorous O-Line. I would be more inclined to believe that Taylor is relevant this year because Decker just isn't the same player as he was and Davis > Matthews. I think Mariota is still massively underrated and doesn't get the respect he deserves from the FF world but seems to be getting all the love in the world from his coaching staff to add these beautiful targets to their offense. Davis and Taylor to me seem like the perfect fit to that offense.
14 Team .5 PPR Return yards
QB: Luck, Mayfield
RB: Elliot, Mixon, Guice, Ekeler
WR: Diggs, C. Davis, Gordon, Lockett, M. Williams, Godwin, John Brown, Tre'Quan Smith
TE: Gronk, Burton, Goedert
K: Gostkowski
D/ST: Jax, Chiefs

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:49 pm

StableOfRBs wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:00 pm
jtd1387 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:24 pm

Guess I should've been more clear, I don't think it's going to change, but I'm not gonna say that it definitely won't.

The only qbs I can think of off the top of my head who had 3 viable receiving options for fantasy last year were Flacco and Brees who had 673 attempts each, compared to Mariota's pace over the last two seasons of 480, jumping 150-175 attempts a year is gonna take a major shift in offensive philosophy that I just don't see happening any time soon (like in the next 3-4 years soon).
Yeah, I don't think TEN is going to throw 600+ times this year either (although I think they will be an offense like that sooner than 4 years from now- it fits the skills that made Mariota such a high draft pick despite coming from a completely non-pro-style offense, not to mention the agenda to add weapons this offseason). But they supported a borderline WR1 and a top 3 TE last year, so I don't think they need 125-150 more targets for one more guy to be fantasy relevant. I think 50 would do it. I also wouldn't expect Smith to assume all of Walker's targets at this point.

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:55 am

StableOfRBs wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:53 pm Except for the fact that Davis is a first round rookie with a whole career ahead of him, unlike Wallace and Henry is a younger player with his whole career ahead of him, unlike AP and the Titans spent much more money/picks improving their OL with the purpose of running a ton, unlike the Vikings.
Thought the exact same thing. You nailed it!
12-team Non-PPR QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, K, DEF
QB: Herbert, Tanny
RB: Chubb, Stevenson, AJ Dillion
WR: AJ Brown, M Evans, M Williams, D London, C Olave, Jameson Williams, M Thomas
TE: D Njoku
K: Butker

2023: 1.01, 2.01
2024 early first, late first

CharlieKelly
Starter
Starter

Postby CharlieKelly » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:41 am

StableOfRBs wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:53 pm
Except for the fact that Davis is a first round rookie with a whole career ahead of him, unlike Wallace and Henry is a younger player with his whole career ahead of him, unlike AP and the Titans spent much more money/picks improving their OL with the purpose of running a ton, unlike the Vikings.
Oh I wasn't aware that teams build their offensive lines solely for the purpose of running the ball. :think:

My point isn't that I believe Taywan will be a WR1, it's that he doesn't really have as big of a path to relevance as people think. Rishard/Decker are average and/or old, and as Mariota continues to grow as a player he will throw the ball more. WR2 in a high powered offense with Corey Davis taking away coverage is a good long term spot to be in.