Todd Gurley thoughts?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
bgriggsjr
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Todd Gurley thoughts?

Postby bgriggsjr » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:27 pm

I have a trade offer in a salary cap dynasty/keeper league. I have Beckham, Jeffrey, Beasley as my WRs, RBs- MCoy, Elliot, mixon, martin and gurley. (Some oddities in trades and drafts.) I have someone offering dez Bryant and a draft pick next season. Prob is gurley has a decent salary. Dez I will cut at end of year due to very high salary more than double gurley. Could keep gurley and Elliot or mccoy at end of year. 2 of three. Would you make deal knowing Bryant is one year player

Cameron Giles
Legend
Legend

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:36 am

StableOfRBs wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:58 am
As for Gurley, the Rams offense wasn't really any better in 2015 than it was in 2016 (they scored about 3 points per game more in 2015) yet Gurley had far fewer good games (7/12 games with 70+ rush yards in 2015 compared to 3/16 in 2016). The Rams OL is bad, that's pretty obvious, and it's certainly part of the issue when it comes to Gurley's lack of success last year, but Gurley himself is also a big part of the problem, he's just not creating any extra yardage for himself like elite RBs tend to do.
You can't create extra yards when you are not given the opportunities to do it.

Gurley ranked 37th out of 41 RB's in terms of yards before first contact (.84) last week. How can an RB create extra yardage when he's getting hit before he even reaches a yard? That has nothing to do with vision, patience, or lacking creativity. That has everything to do with the offensive line getting beat immediately after the snap.

I don't understand the argument that an elite RB has to overcome a bad offensive line, who gets beat continuously, or he's really not any good. It's not realistic. Gurley isn't leaving any meat on the bones, there just isn't any meat to begin with.

Phaded
Legend
Legend

Postby Phaded » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:50 am

The real question is - do you think Gurley looks like an elite RB?

Regardless of the offensive line, when you look at the tape and watch him on game day; does he look elite?

He does not to me - and that is the biggest thing.
Far too lazy to keep updating my teams on this.. was outdated..

StableOfRBs
Role Player
Role Player

Postby StableOfRBs » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:19 am

Cameron Giles wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:36 am
StableOfRBs wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:58 am
As for Gurley, the Rams offense wasn't really any better in 2015 than it was in 2016 (they scored about 3 points per game more in 2015) yet Gurley had far fewer good games (7/12 games with 70+ rush yards in 2015 compared to 3/16 in 2016). The Rams OL is bad, that's pretty obvious, and it's certainly part of the issue when it comes to Gurley's lack of success last year, but Gurley himself is also a big part of the problem, he's just not creating any extra yardage for himself like elite RBs tend to do.
You can't create extra yards when you are not given the opportunities to do it.

Gurley ranked 37th out of 41 RB's in terms of yards before first contact (.84) last week. How can an RB create extra yardage when he's getting hit before he even reaches a yard? That has nothing to do with vision, patience, or lacking creativity. That has everything to do with the offensive line getting beat immediately after the snap.

I don't understand the argument that an elite RB has to overcome a bad offensive line, who gets beat continuously, or he's really not any good. It's not realistic. Gurley isn't leaving any meat on the bones, there just isn't any meat to begin with.
Curious as to where you found that stat, did some googling and couldn't find anything, although I generally try and ignore single game sample sizes because they're too small and too variable compared to an entire season.

The only appreciable difference between his OL in 2015, 2016 and now is that the Rams went out and added Andrew Whitworth. In addition, they hired the offensive line coach from the Bills who's OL last season led the NFL in yards before contact by a wide margin and McVey uses a more RB-friendly zone run scheme. Kind of surprising that their YBFC in week 1 was worse than it was all of last season by about .5 a yard.
12 Team .5 PPR, .2 PPCarry, TE 1PPR, 6 pt passing TDs, -3.5 per Int, 1pt/20 Return Yds
25 Player Rosters, keep 20, start 1QB 2RB 2WR 1FLEX 1TE 1DST

QBs: Andrew Luck, Tyrod Taylor, Teddy Bridgewater
RBs: David Johnson, Melvin Gordon, Ty Montgomery, Doug Martin, Rob Kelley, De'Angelo Henderson, Mike Gillislee, James Conner, Austin Ekeler
WRs: Amari Cooper, OBJ, Alshon Jeffery, Demaryius Thomas, Josh Doctson, Jeremy Maclin, Cooper Kupp, Rashard Higgins
TEs: Jordan Reed, Jack Doyle, David Njoku, Jonnu Smith
DSTs: Cardinals

Cameron Giles
Legend
Legend

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:47 am

Phaded wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:50 am

Regardless of the offensive line, when you look at the tape and watch him on game day; does he look elite?

Gurley does not look like an elite RB when I watch games. But, what's the reason?

Does Gurley not look like an elite RB because his offensive line is killing any chance of success? Or does Gurley not look like an elite RB because his talent has depreciated on its own? Is there a middle ground where the truth lies?

Cameron Giles
Legend
Legend

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:50 am

StableOfRBs wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:19 am
Curious as to where you found that stat, did some googling and couldn't find anything, although I generally try and ignore single game sample sizes because they're too small and too variable compared to an entire season.

The only appreciable difference between his OL in 2015, 2016 and now is that the Rams went out and added Andrew Whitworth. In addition, they hired the offensive line coach from the Bills who's OL last season led the NFL in yards before contact by a wide margin and McVey uses a more RB-friendly zone run scheme. Kind of surprising that their YBFC in week 1 was worse than it was all of last season by about .5 a yard.
I saw it on Twitter from a sports writer. That doesn't sound very reputable though. :lol:

The Rams are tasked with doing their best to overcome the lack of talent on the offensive line to create more opportunities for Gurley. It's a tough mission, but they do have the offensive minds to do it. We'll have to give it time, but Gurley's career up to this point would suggest that he has not been given many chances to be successful. The line gets beat quickly.

Phaded
Legend
Legend

Postby Phaded » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:54 am

Cameron Giles wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:47 am
Phaded wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:50 am

Gurley does not look like an elite RB when I watch games. But, what's the reason?

Does Gurley not look like an elite RB because his offensive line is killing any chance of success? Or does Gurley not look like an elite RB because his talent has depreciated on its own? Is there a middle ground where the truth lies?
Of course there can be some middle ground to it - but many Gurley truthers and believers act like it is only the offensive line; where I think most reasonable people can probably agree that there is a problem with Gurley himself.
Far too lazy to keep updating my teams on this.. was outdated..

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:11 am

They are just hoping Phaded, we all do when we invest a high draft pick ..
@PlankMelody

zuzaque
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby zuzaque » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:12 pm

He's looking a lot better out there today. Good runs and good catches.
12 team PPR, 1 QB / 1 RB / 3 WR / 1 TE / 1 RB-WR-TE / 1 RB-WR / 1 K / 1 DEF
QB = Carr, Dalton
RB = Gurley, Crowell, McCaffrey, Chris Thompson, Darkwa, Breida
WR = Antonio Brown, Baldwin, Diggs, Watkins, Wright, Funchess, Ricardo Lewis, Braxton Miller
TE = Ertz, Brate, Everett, ASJ
K = Tucker
DEF = Who cares?
IR = Corey Coleman, Bridgewater
Taxi = Taywan Taylor, Trubisky
Picks = 2018 3rd, 4th

Shcritters
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Shcritters » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:29 pm

So if I were to offer Gurley for Henry and 2018 1st, you think it is good value and would be accepted? Might not happen with Henry's breakout today... but, thoughts?
Luck Dynasty
12 team PPR Contract/Salary league. 1 pt/10 yds rushing/receiving. 1 pt/25 yds passing. All TD's worth 6 pts. 20% contract increase YOY. 2-rd rookie draft with contracts assigned based on $7 minus rd drafted in NFL rookie draft for 1st round, $3 minus rd drafted in NFL rookie draft for 2nd round. $294 cap limit. Starting lineup is QB, RB, RB/WR, 2 WR, WR/TE, plus IDP's (2 LB, 2 CB/S, 2 DL).

Cap Space: $18
QB: Luck ($45 through 2017), Rivers ($17 through 2018), Smith ($5 through 2017)
RB: McCoy ($68 through 2017), Gordon ($9 through 2019), Gurley ($10 through 2020), Mixon ($6 through 2023), Foreman ($1 through 2023), DJohnson ($1 through 2023)
WR: Julio ($63 through 2019), Diggs ($1 through 2021), Cooper ($9 through 2021), Watkins ($10 through 2020), MWilliams ($6 through 2022), Richardson ($1 through 2023), Tread ($7 through 2022)
IR: Enunwa ($1 through 2021), ARob ($2 through 2018)
2018 Picks: 1, 2

The Red Rooster
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby The Red Rooster » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:21 pm

Gurleys stats are looking good today. Not watching, but looking like it's going to be a monster fantasy day when all is said and done.
10-Team Dynasty League (39 man roster) Established in 2011 ($1,600 Salary Cap with Contract Lengths)
1-QB, 2-RB, 2-WR, 1-TE, 1-Flex (RB/WR), 2-LB, 2-DE, 2-DT, 3-DB (0.5 PPR)
2011 and 2013 Champion
2015 and 2016 Runner Up

QB- Marcus Mariota, Philip Rivers
RB- Todd Gurley, Jay Ajayi, Leonard Fournette, Ameer Abdullah, Derrick Henry, Alvin Kamara, Duke Johnson, Joe Williams, Wayne Gallman
WR- Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, Brandin Cooks, Sammy Watkins, Josh Doctson, John Ross, Cooper Kupp, Kenny Golladay
TE- Tyler Eiffert, Zach Ertz, David Njokue
LB- Sean Lee, Ryan Shazier, Jatavius Brown, Shaq Thompson, Raekwon McMillan, Nick Vigil
DE- Cameron Jordan, Vic Beasley, Ezekiel Ansah, Shaq Lawson
DT- Damon Harrison, Allen Bailey, David Irving
DB- Landon Collins, Keanu Neal, Kenny Vaccaro, Miles Killbrew, Jabrill Peppers

2018 Picks: 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 4

The Red Rooster
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby The Red Rooster » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:45 pm

The Red Rooster wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:21 pm
Gurleys stats are looking good today. Not watching, but looking like it's going to be a monster fantasy day when all is said and done.
Ok, not monster but darn good.
10-Team Dynasty League (39 man roster) Established in 2011 ($1,600 Salary Cap with Contract Lengths)
1-QB, 2-RB, 2-WR, 1-TE, 1-Flex (RB/WR), 2-LB, 2-DE, 2-DT, 3-DB (0.5 PPR)
2011 and 2013 Champion
2015 and 2016 Runner Up

QB- Marcus Mariota, Philip Rivers
RB- Todd Gurley, Jay Ajayi, Leonard Fournette, Ameer Abdullah, Derrick Henry, Alvin Kamara, Duke Johnson, Joe Williams, Wayne Gallman
WR- Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, Brandin Cooks, Sammy Watkins, Josh Doctson, John Ross, Cooper Kupp, Kenny Golladay
TE- Tyler Eiffert, Zach Ertz, David Njokue
LB- Sean Lee, Ryan Shazier, Jatavius Brown, Shaq Thompson, Raekwon McMillan, Nick Vigil
DE- Cameron Jordan, Vic Beasley, Ezekiel Ansah, Shaq Lawson
DT- Damon Harrison, Allen Bailey, David Irving
DB- Landon Collins, Keanu Neal, Kenny Vaccaro, Miles Killbrew, Jabrill Peppers

2018 Picks: 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 4

Jason3123
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Jason3123 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:52 pm

He looked really good today. He is also an excellent receiver. And from a fantasy sense as long as he keeps getting some receptions his floor will be pretty high. More importantly, the offense in general, although not good, is capable of moving the ball and getting to the end zone. He looks well on his way to 10+ touchdowns.
10 Team Superflex / 23 Man Salary / 7 Taxi / PPR / 5pt RB 100 yd Bonus
QB - Andrew Luck, Andy Dalton, Philip Rivers, Sam Bradford
RB - Todd Gurley, Carlos Hyde, Lamar Miller, Ty Montgomery, Javorius Allen, Kenneth Dixon (TS), C.J. Prosise (TS), D'Onta Foreman (TS)
WR - Amari Cooper, Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks, Jordan Matthews, Keenan Allen, Jeremy Maclin
TE - Tyler Eifert, Vance McDonald, Charles Clay, Adam Shaheen
2018: 1st (top 3), 1st, 4th, 2019: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 4th

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:36 am

That catch and run and jump and run and dive was pretty great.
BERLIN BOMBERS 6 - 0
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 Champion
1999 | 2000 Runner - up

14 Team | 4 Keepers | NON PPR | 22nd Season

Drew Brees | Chase Daniel
Todd Gurley II | Le'Veon Bell | Mark Ingram II | Malcolm Brown | James Conner ®
AJ Green | Dez Bryant | Doug Baldwin | Paul Richardson Jr. | Adam Humphries | Marquise Goodwin
Rob Gronkowski | Cameron Brate | OJ Howard ®
Justin Tucker | Baltimore Ravens | Tennessee Titans | Carolina Panthers
Kenneth Dixon | Dede Westbrook ®

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS 5 - 1
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 Champion
2008 | 2012 | 2014 Runner - up

12 Team | 10 Keepers | NON PPR | 17th Season

Drew Brees | Carson Wentz
Todd Gurley II | Le'Veon Bell | LeSean McCoy | James Conner ® | Malcolm Brown | Mike Tolbert | Javorius Allen
Antonio Brown | Mike Evans | Martavis Bryant | Chris Hogan | Pierre Garçon
Rob Gronkowski | Zach Ertz
Justin Tucker | Tennessee Titans | Buffalo Bills
David Johnson | Odell Beckham Jr.

2017 Record: 73 - 47

balaberda
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby balaberda » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:52 am

Here are my thoughts. Who is really elite anymore?

DJ and Bell and Zeke? Is the talent even there for zeke or does he just get touches and have a good line?
I understand the concern but there is serious concern with every single RB and the lifespan is so short anyway that you should just stock the shelf and ride them while they get touches.

Many are not happy with Miller either (me as well). But he will still get touches and that is what you want.