The Todd Gurley Thread - Currently FA

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Todd Gurley thoughts?

Postby The Red Rooster » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:51 am

Balzac wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:38 am Hell you all bash him for his vision, yet one of his Td runs was 100% because of his vision. Had he not broken out to the outside he would have been tackled before he hit the line. SMH
I was thinking this as well as I read some of the posts.
joeday wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:44 am Admittedly I may be biased because I own Gurley in 5 out of my 20 leagues, but I completely agree with this. Keep in mind the Rams OL is still not great. Also, the reason that Sammy and Woods popped for over 100 yards each is because they were in man all night because the 9ers were stacking the box. I think Gurley might be the only player in the league that could have 150 total yards of offense and 3TDs (two of which were very impressive) and get so much criticism. Sure, he should have had at least 1 more TD, but he as met in the backfield on most of those carries. Maybe it is former Gurley owners who sold him after last season looking to pick some nits?
Very true. Hes looking good. I think people hating on him still are likely those that sold last year or in the off season for what appears to be cheap.

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:54 am

joeday wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:44 am
Balzac wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:38 am You all must have watched a different game. Gurley danced a little, but usually it was in the face of 8 man boxes that had already broken the line. The rams were up early and used the run to drain the clock which the 9ers were well aware of and sold out to stop. He still came away with a lot of positive yards. He is solidly in the tier 2 of RBs.
Admittedly I may be biased because I own Gurley in 5 out of my 20 leagues, but I completely agree with this. Keep in mind the Rams OL is still not great. Also, the reason that Sammy and Woods popped for over 100 yards each is because they were in man all night because the 9ers were stacking the box. I think Gurley might be the only player in the league that could have 150 total yards of offense and 3TDs (two of which were very impressive) and get so much criticism. Sure, he should have had at least 1 more TD, but he as met in the backfield on most of those carries. Maybe it is former Gurley owners who sold him after last season looking to pick some nits?
May I interest you in some Melvin Gordon?
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby IR1 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:58 am

Made a bunch of offers in the offseason without luck- his owner stuck with him and is being rewarded now. we'll see after their schedule gets tougher
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:04 am

Balzac wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:38 am You all must have watched a different game. Gurley danced a little, but usually it was in the face of 8 man boxes that had already broken the line. The rams were up early and used the run to drain the clock which the 9ers were well aware of and sold out to stop. He still came away with a lot of positive yards. He is solidly in the tier 2 of RBs.

e. Hell you all bash him for his vision, yet one of his Td runs was 100% because of his vision. Had he not broken out to the outside he would have been tackled before he hit the line. SMH
I agree. He seemed to be following his blocks a lot better than he has in previous games. Even just looking at the statistics, 18 of his 28 runs were between the tackles. Historically, he's broken it to the outside on 50% of his runs or more. It's progress and hopefully it's the start of a new trend for him.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:30 am

StableOfRBs wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:54 am
Admittedly I may be biased because I own Gurley in 5 out of my 20 leagues, but I completely agree with this. Keep in mind the Rams OL is still not great. Also, the reason that Sammy and Woods popped for over 100 yards each is because they were in man all night because the 9ers were stacking the box. I think Gurley might be the only player in the league that could have 150 total yards of offense and 3TDs (two of which were very impressive) and get so much criticism. Sure, he should have had at least 1 more TD, but he as met in the backfield on most of those carries. Maybe it is former Gurley owners who sold him after last season looking to pick some nits?
Not to this level though.
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:40 am

joeday wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:30 am
StableOfRBs wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:54 am

Not to this level though.
Level of hate or level of production? Because as a Gordon owner for the past two years I can tell you very little credit was given to Gordon for how well he played last year and people were talking about how Gurley is still a much more talented RB than Gordon is
Last edited by StableOfRBs on Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:35 am

Tough schedule coming up. He's a solid sell. If you're in one of my leagues, I'd be glad to take him off your hands.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:04 am

GridironGuerilla wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:35 am Tough schedule coming up. He's a solid sell. If you're in one of my leagues, I'd be glad to take him off your hands.
Or you can buy, if you really believe that the Rams offense is the real deal (they are).

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:07 am

I did my buying this off season but I'd be glad to get a couple more shares at his preseason value.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:10 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:04 am
GridironGuerilla wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:35 am Tough schedule coming up. He's a solid sell. If you're in one of my leagues, I'd be glad to take him off your hands.
Or you can buy, if you really believe that the Rams offense is the real deal (they are).
Still think it's a little early to tell, they've faced 3 bottom 8 defenses (in terms of rush defense) in the first 3 weeks and in the next 5 games face 4 of the top 10 with the 5th being Dallas, the #11 rush defense per John Paulsen from 4for4: https://twitter.com/4for4_John/status/9 ... 6138001408. If Gurley and the Rams can keep up this pace through week 9 or 10 then I'd be more inclined to believe that they're actually a high-powered offense but I'm gonna hold my judgment until then.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:14 am

Man.... it's early. Lets not be so quick to anoynt and jump to conclusions. We are 18.7% through the season people...

As a Gordon owner, I can assure you that the criticisms of Gurley have never matched the criticisms of Gordon to this point. To even mention that and compare the two and how they are and were viewed is quite silly. That said, Gurley ran hard last night. He showed glimpses of good vision, he finished runs strong, even caught the ball quite well. His production last night speaks for itself. He had a great game. The LA offense as a whole was great and very productive. But.... Lets please keep things in perspective. The SF defense is historically bad. They are a train-wreck. They made Goff look like a future HOF'er. The allowed S.Watkins to remind his owners why they've stuck with him. Robert Woods showed flashes of near dominance....

I'd bet right now that last night's game is a season high for fantasy production for T.Gurley. We'll see, but, yes, their schedule will get tougher.

And... just to be clear, Since their draft day - Gurley's fantasy reputation has never dealt with the negativity that Gordon's has. Not close.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:18 am

StableOfRBs wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:10 am Still think it's a little early to tell, they've faced 3 bottom 8 defenses (in terms of rush defense) in the first 3 weeks and in the next 5 games face 4 of the top 10 with the 5th being Dallas, the #11 rush defense per John Paulsen from 4for4: https://twitter.com/4for4_John/status/9 ... 6138001408. If Gurley and the Rams can keep up this pace through week 9 or 10 then I'd be more inclined to believe that they're actually a high-powered offense but I'm gonna hold my judgment until then.
Keep in mind that this is the same 49ers team (minus Eric Reid) that held Seattle to 12 points. Even with Seattle's offensive problems, that's still big. Carolina did hang 23 on them, but that's not some egregious number.

Granted, I don't think they'll put up 40 every game, but there are so many traits of their offense that I don't think can be stopped. Their WR's run very good routes, have good hands and get open quickly. They have a TE in Everett who can stretch the field and also runs good routes. And now, they're getting Gurley involved in the passing game. The icing on the cake is that Andrew Whitworth and John Sullivan have really helped their pass blocking.

The biggest problem before McVay was hired was that defenses could stack the box against Gurley and not worry about defending the vertical game in a miserable offensive scheme. Now if you do that, you're going to pay.

Based on what McVay did with Washington's offense, I really don't think the Rams are going to fall off much offensively.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:23 am

JFever wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:14 am But.... Lets please keep things in perspective. The SF defense is historically bad. They are a train-wreck. They made Goff look like a future HOF'er. The allowed S.Watkins to remind his owners why they've stuck with him. Robert Woods showed flashes of near dominance....
SF's defense is not that bad right now. Their front 7 is very formidable. Buckner, Thomas, Bowman, Armstead, Caradine...and that's without Rueben Foster, who is a game changer. They held Seattle to 12 points IN Seattle. The Rams offense looked good because their offense is good. It's the same offense that Washington used the last two years that won them a division title and helped Cousins look like a legitimate QB.

Regardless of who they've faced so far, the same things keep showing up when you watch. Even in the loss to Washington, their offense looked good.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:30 am

I saw a SF defense last night - That WAS that bad. Missed assignments, over pursuing, poor angles, poor tackling. By the eye test - they were horrible. Maybe that was a one time thing but... they played at home and played very poorly. J.Goff is still young and man... he shredded them. Lets not overreact either way, but, come on.... SF defense will very likely be in the bottom 4th of the entire NFL by seasons end.

Do you think otherwise?
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:33 am

JFever wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:30 am I saw a SF defense last night - That WAS that bad. Missed assignments, over pursuing, poor angles, poor tackling. By the eye test - they were horrible. Maybe that was a one time thing but... they played at home and played very poorly. J.Goff is still young and man... he shredded them. Lets not overreact either way, but, come on.... SF defense will very likely be in the bottom 4th of the entire NFL by seasons end.

Do you think otherwise?
I don't disagree that the 49ers defense could end up being bad, but they're not playing that bad right now.

I think people are looking too much at the opponent and not enough at what McVay's offense does to teams. There's a reason Washington's offense is struggling right now and the Rams offense looks like it's been together for 5 seasons.