The Todd Gurley Thread - Currently FA

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Todd Gurley thoughts?

Postby Phaded » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:10 pm

The Red Rooster wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:00 pm Gurley, my man, I know you have 3 TDs but you've been stuffed on 1 yd goal line runs 4 times tonight! Could have 5 TDs right now.
Gurley seems to be good when you get him space (but the same can be said about many..) but he does appear to be a pedestrian goal line back.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:15 pm

Gurley is weird. He looks good but he also doesn't look good. He's like a girl who looks good/bad in different lighting.

MNnoles
Rookie
Rookie

Postby MNnoles » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:18 pm

Phaded wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:10 pm
The Red Rooster wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:00 pm Gurley, my man, I know you have 3 TDs but you've been stuffed on 1 yd goal line runs 4 times tonight! Could have 5 TDs right now.
Gurley seems to be good when you get him space (but the same can be said about many..) but he does appear to be a pedestrian goal line back.
The 49ers were were shooting every gap and gurley was being sent right into them. He was getting hit behind the LOS on all of those goal line carries. Gurley still doesn't have elite or even very good vision(which I think is his biggest issue), however I don't think he is a pedestrian goal line back at all. Just my opinion tho
12 Team PPR
QB- J. Winston, B. Mayfield
RB- S. Barkley, D.Cook, J.Mixon, Du.Johnson, J.Samuels,
WR- D.Hopkins, M.Evans, T.McLaurin, DJ Moore, L.Fitz, AJ Brown, D.Slayton, JJAW, A.Callaway, A. Isabella, A.Lazard
TE- E.Engram, O.Howard, D.Knox

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:56 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:15 pm Gurley is weird. He looks good but he also doesn't look good. He's like a girl who looks good/bad in different lighting.
Hahaha there's a Seinfeld episode about that :lol:
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:58 pm

149 total yards, 3 touchdowns. He had a very good game. The YPC would look a lot better had it not been for so many failed goal line attempts.

The run-blocking is getting better and teams are respecting the vertical game of the Rams. Gurley really could be in for a huge bounce-back year at this rate.
Last edited by Cameron Giles on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:00 pm

Gurley is young, talented, fairly durable, and on an up and coming team. It's highly unlikely that they'll bring in significant competition for him, so his 3-down usage isn't going away soon.

He's no Bell or DJ in terms of talent, but he's got to be close to that top tier for fantasy purposes.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:18 pm

the glimmer became a shimmer ... perhaps soon he'll be a ray?
@PlankMelody

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:29 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:15 pm Gurley is weird. He looks good but he also doesn't look good. He's like a girl who looks good/bad in different lighting.
This analogy made me chuckle.
But is also quite accurate.

voiceofunreason
MVP
MVP

Postby voiceofunreason » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:05 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:58 pm 149 total yards, 3 touchdowns. He had a very good game. The YPC would look a lot better had it not been for so many failed goal line attempts.

The run-blocking is getting better and teams are respecting the vertical game of the Rams. Gurley really could be in for a huge bounce-back year at this rate.
Would have looked a lot worse without some long runs very late when the defense was tired. He's better than Richardson but he's got that same vibe. Lot of excuses for him, but he doesn't look good to me.

He looks like a big CoP back, likes the open spaces but really not very good between the tackles. Kind of looks like what the Foreman haters say he is.

Wile E. Coyote
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Wile E. Coyote » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:21 pm

I don't own Gurly, but he looked better than I was expecting him to.

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:58 am

I'm a huge Gurley fan (because I'm a UGA fan) and this was a huge fantasy game for him. However, I was disappointed in his run style. He DANCED a lot in the backfield. I think he's hurting himself trying to make too much happen when there isn't a big hole. Maybe it's a vision issue or maybe he wants everyplay to be a big play, but just like a QB throwing the ball away, sometimes you a 2 yard gain is a great gain, especially since he's turning them into 2 yard losses.

He looked great as a receiver out of the backfield this week and I think he's cemented himself into a reliable fantasy option. However, Watching how a guy like Kareem Hunt fights for yardage against a defense like philly and then watching Gurley in this game against a week defense, I have to say I really like Hunts style better. I think Gurley has way more take it to the house talent, but he doesn't make the some of the small plays that he should. On a number of plays he got hit in the backfield, but it was clear he could've gotten to the line of scrimmage or better had he not bounced around. I hope this is something he can grow out of. I don't remember him doing that in Georgia, but maybe I just didn't notice it.
12-team Non-PPR QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, K, DEF
QB: Herbert, Tanny
RB: Chubb, Stevenson, AJ Dillion
WR: AJ Brown, M Evans, M Williams, D London, C Olave, Jameson Williams, M Thomas
TE: D Njoku
K: Butker

2023: 1.01, 2.01
2024 early first, late first

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby The Red Rooster » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:28 am

voiceofunreason wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:05 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:58 pm 149 total yards, 3 touchdowns. He had a very good game. The YPC would look a lot better had it not been for so many failed goal line attempts.

Would have looked a lot worse without some long runs very late when the defense was tired. He's better than Richardson but he's got that same vibe. Lot of excuses for him, but he doesn't look good to me.

He looks like a big CoP back, likes the open spaces but really not very good between the tackles. Kind of looks like what the Foreman haters say he is.
I watched a decent amount of this game and Im not sure I agree with that. He seemed to consistently get 4 yards per carry and fall forward (except for the goal line carries of course!). If we take out the 4 FAILED goal line carries and the 20 yard gain a the end of the game you allude too, he still averaged just a hair over 4 yds per carry. Not eye popping, but, solid enough for sure.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:38 am

I wouldn't discount that 49ers run defense. 3 high 1st round picks on that DLine and Bowman cleaning up behind them. I think most running games will struggle some against them
Anyway I agree with alot of what is here...he looked great on a few runs and very meh on others. Hesitation behind the line at times stops him but he will figure that out when he believes more in the line and himself. I think as his confidence grows he will improve those few things.

I think he is really being helped by being on the field more and being involved every play. He looks great in the pass game and made a few really good blitz pickups.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Balzac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Balzac » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:38 am

You all must have watched a different game. Gurley danced a little, but usually it was in the face of 8 man boxes that had already broken the line. The rams were up early and used the run to drain the clock which the 9ers were well aware of and sold out to stop. He still came away with a lot of positive yards. He is solidly in the tier 2 of RBs.

e. Hell you all bash him for his vision, yet one of his Td runs was 100% because of his vision. Had he not broken out to the outside he would have been tackled before he hit the line. SMH
10 Team TE Premium, Dynasty Year 6 - (1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 3FLEX, 1K, 1DEF)
http://www57.myfantasyleague.com/2017/o ... =07&F=0002

12 Team .5PPR, Dynasty Year 4 - (1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 3FLEX)
https://www66.myfantasyleague.com/2017/ ... =07&F=0011

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:44 am

Balzac wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:38 am You all must have watched a different game. Gurley danced a little, but usually it was in the face of 8 man boxes that had already broken the line. The rams were up early and used the run to drain the clock which the 9ers were well aware of and sold out to stop. He still came away with a lot of positive yards. He is solidly in the tier 2 of RBs.
Admittedly I may be biased because I own Gurley in 5 out of my 20 leagues, but I completely agree with this. Keep in mind the Rams OL is still not great. Also, the reason that Sammy and Woods popped for over 100 yards each is because they were in man all night because the 9ers were stacking the box. I think Gurley might be the only player in the league that could have 150 total yards of offense and 3TDs (two of which were very impressive) and get so much criticism. Sure, he should have had at least 1 more TD, but he as met in the backfield on most of those carries. Maybe it is former Gurley owners who sold him after last season looking to pick some nits?
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0