Matt Jones a Colt

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
DynastyDeepDive
Starter
Starter

Matt Jones a Colt

Postby DynastyDeepDive » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:51 am

Anyone think he can turnaround his career? Like the landing spot.

I have to make roster cuts by 5pm and he is on the bubble. Not sure I should hold and see if he moves up the depth chart.

Thoughts?
In too many leagues to list players. Check out my Dynasty Deep Dive!

pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Matt Jones a Colt

Postby pokerface40 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:20 am

About as good of a landing spot as you can hope for. Pretty strong hold for me depending on format of course.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:22 am

Washington has a better line and he couldn't beat out Rob Kelley for a job. Still bad at football. Not interested.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:19 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:22 am Washington has a better line and he couldn't beat out Rob Kelley for a job. Still bad at football. Not interested.
Seems like he got caught in middle of power struggle between Gruden (and Allen) and McCloughan. Fresh start is good. Talent is there. Just need to fix fumbling issues.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:20 am

onetwothree wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:19 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:22 am Washington has a better line and he couldn't beat out Rob Kelley for a job. Still bad at football. Not interested.
Seems like he got caught in middle of power struggle between Gruden (and Allen) and McCloughan. Fresh start is good. Talent is there. Just need to fix fumbling issues.
He was the best RB on the team objectively. Gruden just likes to arbitrarily scapegoat players and ruin their careers.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:25 am

Together, Jones and Mack have a real shot to break the NFL team record for most fumbles by running backs.

If not for Luck (who is good but overrated), this organization and its incompetent leadership would easily qualify as a dumpster fire.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:27 am

I don't see what that would have to do with anything. A front office power struggle doesn't mean you suddenly become bad at football.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:39 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:27 am
I don't see what that would have to do with anything. A front office power struggle doesn't mean you suddenly become bad at football.
Saying he's bad over and over doesn't make it true. 4.6 YPC, had big plays in the passing game. Never heard anyone complain about his passpro. You want to talk ball security? Fine it wasn't great, but just how many fumbles did this horrible fumbler have in 2016? 2. His rookie year? 4. The four was too high but 2 fumbles can happen to any back at any time. Yet people act like he was this fumbling machine. I remember watching his second 2016 fumble, it was a freak thing that would have happened to any player tackled that way. Gruden is just a hard bleep who needs everyone to play his exact scheme.

So yeah he's much more talented and "better at football" than fat Rob.
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:05 am

Jones' YPC was heavily inflated by outside runs. Up the middle, he only managed 3.71 YPC, which is slightly below average. His split was even worse his rookie year. Combined with his fumbling issues, he would've been benched by most coaches. According to Pro-Football-Reference, he had five fumbles his rookie year on 163 touches. That's awful. His second year, he fumbled three times on 107 touches. Slight improvement, but still awful.

He has a fresh shot in Indy and he certainly has the size for inside runs and fumbling issues are generally correctable. That said, Pagano is no less a hard bleep on demanding these things from his RBs. He's worth a flyer, but I wouldn't get too excited, even if he gets a shot.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:08 am

ericanadian wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:05 am Jones' YPC was heavily inflated by outside runs. Up the middle, he only managed 3.71 YPC, which is slightly below average. His split was even worse his rookie year. Combined with his fumbling issues, he would've been benched by most coaches. According to Pro-Football-Reference, he had five fumbles his rookie year on 163 touches. That's awful. His second year, he fumbled three times on 107 touches. Slight improvement, but still awful.

He has a fresh shot in Indy and he certainly has the size for inside runs and fumbling issues are generally correctable. That said, Pagano is no less a hard bleep on demanding these things from his RBs. He's worth a flyer, but I wouldn't get too excited, even if he gets a shot.
Everyone's YPC is inflated by big plays. That's the nature of the stat. 3 yards up the middle isn't bad when the play is designed to gain 3 yards. Would you also penalize a player whose YPC was lowered by rushing in 1 yd TDs?

To be fair, I'm trying to defend against what I think is a false narrative about him. I don't think he's more than a flier but I do think he's a decent one. He's got depth chart climbing to do for sure

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:26 am

jcc6fd wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:39 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:27 am

Saying he's bad over and over doesn't make it true. 4.6 YPC, had big plays in the passing game. Never heard anyone complain about his passpro. You want to talk ball security? Fine it wasn't great, but just how many fumbles did this horrible fumbler have in 2016? 2. His rookie year? 4. The four was too high but 2 fumbles can happen to any back at any time. Yet people act like he was this fumbling machine. I remember watching his second 2016 fumble, it was a freak thing that would have happened to any player tackled that way. Gruden is just a hard bleep who needs everyone to play his exact scheme.

Agreed with you that the fumble issue is overstated. It's overstated because it's why he was benched, but he had by no means proven to be a fumbling machine. It's simply too small of a sample size to statistically say that will be an insurmountable problem for him through his career, yet he was seemingly benched for it.

slacker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby slacker » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:38 am

The guy had skills before, now he has skills with a huge chip on his shoulder. I think it makes for a good combination if he gets the chance. Snagged him off the wire a few days ago so the price is right. Hopefully he gets his chance.
12 team PPR, 22 Roster, QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 FLEX, K, DEF
Rivers, Eli
Watkins, Evans, Keenan, Hopkins, Pryor, R. Matthews, Marshall, P. Richardson, CPatt
McCoy, Zeke, Rawls, Ware
Gronk, Njoku, Butt, Everette, Higbee

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:44 am

Valhalla wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:26 am
Agreed with you that the fumble issue is overstated. It's overstated because it's why he was benched, but he had by no means proven to be a fumbling machine. It's simply too small of a sample size to statistically say that will be an insurmountable problem for him through his career, yet he was seemingly benched for it.
Exactly.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:56 am

jcc6fd wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:39 am Saying he's bad over and over doesn't make it true. 4.6 YPC, had big plays in the passing game. Never heard anyone complain about his passpro. You want to talk ball security? Fine it wasn't great, but just how many fumbles did this horrible fumbler have in 2016? 2. His rookie year? 4. The four was too high but 2 fumbles can happen to any back at any time. Yet people act like he was this fumbling machine. I remember watching his second 2016 fumble, it was a freak thing that would have happened to any player tackled that way. Gruden is just a hard bleep who needs everyone to play his exact scheme.

You're saying all of this, and his team flat out cut him behind an UDFA RB and Samaje Perine. Gruden may be a hard bleep, but what reason would he have to cut an RB who's supposedly really good in favor of awful ones? The player you're describing sounds like a 3DRB. The Redskins could use one of those. This is going back to the DGB logic, where something must be wrong with the coaching staff and front office becaue they're "unfairly" treating a "stud."

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:57 am

jcc6fd wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:08 am
ericanadian wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:05 am Jones' YPC was heavily inflated by outside runs. Up the middle, he only managed 3.71 YPC, which is slightly below average. His split was even worse his rookie year. Combined with his fumbling issues, he would've been benched by most coaches. According to Pro-Football-Reference, he had five fumbles his rookie year on 163 touches. That's awful. His second year, he fumbled three times on 107 touches. Slight improvement, but still awful.

Everyone's YPC is inflated by big plays. That's the nature of the stat. 3 yards up the middle isn't bad when the play is designed to gain 3 yards. Would you also penalize a player whose YPC was lowered by rushing in 1 yd TDs?

To be fair, I'm trying to defend against what I think is a false narrative about him. I don't think he's more than a flier but I do think he's a decent one. He's got depth chart climbing to do for sure
Just watching him play, he has no vision when running between the tackles. I actually like him as a passing-down, outside the tackles runner. He is actually dare I say good in that area. He's not an every-down rb tho imo. Fumbling issue just killed him with the coaching staff though.