Matt Jones a Colt

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Re: Matt Jones a Colt

Postby Valhalla » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:59 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:56 am
jcc6fd wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:39 am Saying he's bad over and over doesn't make it true. 4.6 YPC, had big plays in the passing game. Never heard anyone complain about his passpro. You want to talk ball security? Fine it wasn't great, but just how many fumbles did this horrible fumbler have in 2016? 2. His rookie year? 4. The four was too high but 2 fumbles can happen to any back at any time. Yet people act like he was this fumbling machine. I remember watching his second 2016 fumble, it was a freak thing that would have happened to any player tackled that way. Gruden is just a hard bleep who needs everyone to play his exact scheme.

So yeah he's much more talented and "better at football" than fat Rob.
You're saying all of this, and his team flat out cut him behind an UDFA RB and Samaje Perine. Gruden may be a hard bleep, but what reason would he have to cut an RB who's supposedly really good in favor of awful ones? The player you're describing sounds like a 3DRB. The Redskins could use one of those. This is going back to the DGB logic, where something must be wrong with the coaching staff and front office becaue they're "unfairly" treating a "stud."
Perine is awful? Wow that sucks for me. I thought he was good enough to invest in

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:13 am

jcc6fd wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:08 am
ericanadian wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:05 am Jones' YPC was heavily inflated by outside runs. Up the middle, he only managed 3.71 YPC, which is slightly below average. His split was even worse his rookie year. Combined with his fumbling issues, he would've been benched by most coaches. According to Pro-Football-Reference, he had five fumbles his rookie year on 163 touches. That's awful. His second year, he fumbled three times on 107 touches. Slight improvement, but still awful.

He has a fresh shot in Indy and he certainly has the size for inside runs and fumbling issues are generally correctable. That said, Pagano is no less a hard bleep on demanding these things from his RBs. He's worth a flyer, but I wouldn't get too excited, even if he gets a shot.
Everyone's YPC is inflated by big plays. That's the nature of the stat. 3 yards up the middle isn't bad when the play is designed to gain 3 yards. Would you also penalize a player whose YPC was lowered by rushing in 1 yd TDs?

To be fair, I'm trying to defend against what I think is a false narrative about him. I don't think he's more than a flier but I do think he's a decent one. He's got depth chart climbing to do for sure
3.7 YPC is below average, even when isolated to up the middle. Kelley was running 4.0 YPC up the middle.

More importantly, it's not about big plays, it's about going off script. Jones ran a much higher percentage of his runs to the outside than Kelley. It's possible, though unlikely, that this was by design. More likely, Jones is improvising and trying to get more yards when the coach just wants him to go up the middle and wear down the defense. Christine Michael had the same issue and it's why he couldn't stick anywhere. In any case, the 3% fumbling rate needs to be priority #1 for him.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:23 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:56 am
jcc6fd wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:39 am Saying he's bad over and over doesn't make it true. 4.6 YPC, had big plays in the passing game. Never heard anyone complain about his passpro. You want to talk ball security? Fine it wasn't great, but just how many fumbles did this horrible fumbler have in 2016? 2. His rookie year? 4. The four was too high but 2 fumbles can happen to any back at any time. Yet people act like he was this fumbling machine. I remember watching his second 2016 fumble, it was a freak thing that would have happened to any player tackled that way. Gruden is just a hard bleep who needs everyone to play his exact scheme.

So yeah he's much more talented and "better at football" than fat Rob.
You're saying all of this, and his team flat out cut him behind an UDFA RB and Samaje Perine. Gruden may be a hard bleep, but what reason would he have to cut an RB who's supposedly really good in favor of awful ones? The player you're describing sounds like a 3DRB. The Redskins could use one of those. This is going back to the DGB logic, where something must be wrong with the coaching staff and front office becaue they're "unfairly" treating a "stud."
He's not a stud, but he played better than any running back on last year's roster. That's fairly indisputable. That's the difference between him and DGB; actual play. Gruden's reason is he's a bitter grudge holder. He single handedly ruined RGIII's career.

He has a realistic ceiling as a weekly RB2 if given the opportunity. I believe he earned that opportunity by being a solid runner.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:44 am

Redskins are an atrocious organization so I don't trust them to make rational decisions. He had some good games last year, 2 100 yard games despite only playing in a handful of games. He also flashed enough as a rookie. I think we could be looking at another Terrance West situation here potentially (get cut/bounce around).

The Colts are a mess but their depth chart for RB is pretty blah. Marlon Mack is exciting but he's also not a good interior runner and he carries the ball like a loaf of bread. Turbin is a JAG. Gore probably has another 10 years left but if not Jones could climb to the top of the chart eventually. Definitely a scenario where you could see it happen. The Colts also have so many personnel issues and will probably undergo a coaching change this season that they likely don't invest highly in a RB in the draft.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:18 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:23 am He's not a stud, but he played better than any running back on last year's roster. That's fairly indisputable. That's the difference between him and DGB; actual play. Gruden's reason is he's a bitter grudge holder. He single handedly ruined RGIII's career.

He has a realistic ceiling as a weekly RB2 if given the opportunity. I believe he earned that opportunity by being a solid runner.
Gruden didn't ruin RG3. Injuries and RG3 ruined RG3. He was never anything more than a scrawny QB with a big arm. He had zero clue how to actually play the QB position. The Shanahan's realized that, dumbed down the offense for himand he excelled big time. But, there's just no way that a QB can run the read option forever in the NFL. RG3 still has no idea how to read defenses and go through his progressions. He's trash and is out of the NFL because of it.

Matt Jones overall just isn't a good RB. A lot of RB's have RB2 ceiling if you give them the opportunity. It's not that special and doesn't survive time at a position that is extremely expendable.

I just don't see any logical reason why the Redskins would prefer Rob Kelley over a player who is secretly this really good RB. Unless of course, Jones has a lot of issues and isn't worth it. A change of scenery could help him, but I don't have much, if any faith in it.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:54 pm

There's probably a reason no one would trade for him. I guess he could make something happen, but when's the last time a straight cut was picked up on waivers and then turned into a stud? Maybe Woodhead was the closest?

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:51 pm

thebeast wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:54 pm There's probably a reason no one would trade for him. I guess he could make something happen, but when's the last time a straight cut was picked up on waivers and then turned into a stud? Maybe Woodhead was the closest?
Cedric Benson comes to mind (at least for one season), but your point still stands. It just doesn't happen much.

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:58 pm

thebeast wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:54 pm There's probably a reason no one would trade for him. I guess he could make something happen, but when's the last time a straight cut was picked up on waivers and then turned into a stud? Maybe Woodhead was the closest?
Forsett, had the best two seasons of his career after signing with the Ravens in 2014 (initially as the 3rd-string) at the age of 28
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:28 pm

Terrance west, Justin Forsett, jacquizz Rodgers, Tim Hightower, latavius Murray, Danny woodhead, dion Lewis, legarrette blount...most of those still common to be found on fantasy rosters today. Likely many others I'm not remembering from past years. It happens.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:12 pm

Valhalla wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:28 pm Terrance west, Justin Forsett, jacquizz Rodgers, Tim Hightower, latavius Murray, Danny woodhead, dion Lewis, legarrette blount...most of those still common to be found on fantasy rosters today. Likely many others I'm not remembering from past years. It happens.
Eh, Blount had 1000 yards his first season. Latavius broke out with the team that drafted him and I don't think he was cut. Of course random rbs are going to get opportunities and produce seemingly regardless of talent level, that's just the nature of the position. However the question was do rbs that were cut turn into studs. And I assume it was implied that rbs who haven't broken out yet that were cut, so not guys like Blount.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:06 pm

For the record, because I was simply curious, number of times waived before 'breaking out' statistically (that judgment is subjective, tho):

Forsett - 3 (2 if we consider his early-career work with Seattle as a breakout)
Lewis - 2
Woodhead - 1
T. West - 1 (er, do we actually count any of his seasons thus far as a legit breakout?)
Quizz - 1 (0 if his two 50 reception seasons in Atlanta count as a breakout in full-ppr)
Latavius - 0
Blount - 0
Hightower - 0 (Hightower's first two years in the league were quite productive)
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:39 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:06 pm For the record, because I was simply curious, number of times waived before 'breaking out' statistically (that judgment is subjective, tho):

Forsett - 3 (2 if we consider his early-career work with Seattle as a breakout)
Lewis - 2
Woodhead - 1
T. West - 1 (er, do we actually count any of his seasons thus far as a legit breakout?)
Quizz - 1 (0 if his two 50 reception seasons in Atlanta count as a breakout in full-ppr)
Latavius - 0
Blount - 0
Hightower - 0 (Hightower's first two years in the league were quite productive)
All the rbs listed as breaking out after cut had college dominator ratings in the 70th percentile or higher. Jonathan Williams sports a 44th percentile dominator rating. Matt Jones 27th percentile.
Last edited by Dynasty DeLorean on Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:33 pm

Yeah I'm not saying I think he WILL break out. I think quite the opposite, if you read my earlier posts. I was just saying that guys HAVE been cut before and then broken out.
I thought Latavius had been cut. My mistake.
Blount...did break out with TB...but then was cut. He failed to find much success with the Steelers and was cut, no? Maybe I'm wrong and he played out his contract. If not, I'd qualify his hit with the Patriots as a post-cut for sucking breakout.

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:39 pm

Valhalla wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:33 pm Yeah I'm not saying I think he WILL break out. I think quite the opposite, if you read my earlier posts. I was just saying that guys HAVE been cut before and then broken out.
I thought Latavius had been cut. My mistake.
Blount...did break out with TB...but then was cut. He failed to find much success with the Steelers and was cut, no? Maybe I'm wrong and he played out his contract. If not, I'd qualify his hit with the Patriots as a post-cut for sucking breakout.
Blount got cut mid 2014 by the Steelers and signed with the Pats like 2 weeks later
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

Kaz
Captain
Captain

Postby Kaz » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:42 pm

Blount was cut after he got a DUI and marijuana charge driving around with L.Bell.
QB: Brees, Ryan
RB: J.Taylor, K.Hunt, R.Jones, Dillon, McKinnon
WR: D.Adams, T.Hill, A.Rob, Lockett, Anderson, P.Campbell, C.Samuel
TE: Kittle, Olsen, D.Sample
DL: Ngakoue, E.Griffen, J.Sweat, Bowser
LB: Mosley, D.Jones, Warner, Treviathan, R. Evans, Okereke, M.Harrison
DB: J.Johnson, T.Mathieu, T.Walker, J.Jones, X.Woods