Jonathan Williams released

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Jonathan Williams released

Postby jcc6fd » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:17 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:41 am
jcc6fd wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:43 pm My theory is they cut him because if Shady goes down they want to tank harder.
I mean anything is possible but I can't wrap my head around that one. Tanking by cutting a seemingly average at-best backup RB? And suppose JWill actually played well, that just means they would be more likely to get something in a trade for him.
I can't wrap my mind around keeping Mike Tolbert as your main backup, where in no universe is he worth anything, when J Will played well all preseason and looked decent in last year. Maybe he wasn't liked by the coaching staff.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:30 am

Also, no, it wasn't just "because McCoy is so elusive he boosted the yards before contact stat."
Gillislee got a lot of carries too, and ran for a higher ypc than McCoy (5.7 vs 5.4).

Think about this: The Bills led the league in yards before contact per attempt by a wide margin. Their bread and butter was up the middle, where they had a whopping 4.63 yards before contact! (If this source is accurate: https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/5 ... t_for_all/ )

Now, up the middle should be an area where Jonathan Williams does his best if I know the player...right? So how does this really good backup RB average 3.5 yards per attempt when the line, on average, is likely giving him at least that much? Was he rushing on only 3rd-4th and short sutuations? I'd hope not goal-line, as his one TD is not a good sign if the argument is that his ypc is low because he was often used in the red zone.

I haven't watched the kid play, and am speaking only from a "look at the numbers" perspective. But jeez...how does a rb run for an average of basically what the OL gives him untouched, and he's touted as a high-end backup?

Are you guys sure you didn't hold him in high regard simply because of his key situation? Now the value being cut right off your fantasy team is hard to accept, so you rationalize that his talent will do better elsewhere? Maybe I'm talking out of my bleep as it's from a pure numbers stance, and I actually like to have watched a player before giving a real judgement of him...but the numbers do not speak well of Williams.

wingnutty
Starter
Starter

Postby wingnutty » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:45 am

They play week 1

I wonder if it ends 0-0
As a bills fan (one of a handful outside of NY) this comment is hilarious to me

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:54 am

jcc6fd wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:17 am
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:41 am
jcc6fd wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:43 pm My theory is they cut him because if Shady goes down they want to tank harder.
I mean anything is possible but I can't wrap my head around that one. Tanking by cutting a seemingly average at-best backup RB? And suppose JWill actually played well, that just means they would be more likely to get something in a trade for him.
I can't wrap my mind around keeping Mike Tolbert as your main backup, where in no universe is he worth anything, when J Will played well all preseason and looked decent in last year. Maybe he wasn't liked by the coaching staff.
Same reason Vikings kept Asiata around. He's reliable. Probably better in pass pro and won't get the QB killed. Idk. Shouldn't be too hard to think of a few reasons why they'd go that route.

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:05 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:54 am Same reason Vikings kept Asiata around. He's reliable. Probably better in pass pro and won't get the QB killed.
Reminds me of Brandon Bolden. Pedestrian, mostly unrosterable (fantasy) "talent" but was so damn reliable in every phase of the game (including ST) for years for the Pats.

NFL teams are ultra conservative by nature, especially as the season approaches. No surprise boring but reliable RBs like Asiata and Bolden hang around forever.

I'm wondering if teams going with more modern approaches (today's Browns and Niners) roll more dice going forward on the talent vs. boring scale, especially with tanking being more accepted and smarter than ever.

BOT, I though JW was an above average prospect out of college. Not awesome, but above average. With such a small sample size in the NFL, I'm still holding out some hope for opportunity somewhere. If not this year, then I'll likely move on.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:11 am

wingnutty wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:45 am
They play week 1

I wonder if it ends 0-0
As a bills fan (one of a handful outside of NY) this comment is hilarious to me
Hah! One of those games they BOTH deserve to lose.

They should just stay home and both agree to take losses. Because really, that's what they want!
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:40 am

clarion contrarion wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:50 pm
Friction wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:06 pm They will be drafting a rb next year with one of their 9 picks in the first three rounds. Maybe Barkley. Qb probably too since Tyrod is obviously not a favorite of theirs. Williams is definitely a surprise, but there has to be a decent reason behind it since money was not an issue with him right now.
the current idiots running the hapless bills should have the fans howling for rex and doug whaley back , it is starting to look like the bills aspire to be the 2008 lions . Why not trade shady and start tj yates at qb .
If I were a vet there I would mutiny my way the hell out of that insane asylum.
I think the Bills are doing great considering they have two 1sts, two 2nds, and two 3rds next year and still a good chance at a respectable showing, despite their killer schedule. Cleveland was terrible but at least they had three 1sts last year and two 1sts and three 2nds next year. The Jets on the other hand have embarrassed themselves for a 2018 2nd and a 5th and it's hard to imagine a quick recovery from this hole they are in.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:49 am

Tsunami wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:40 am
clarion contrarion wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:50 pm
Friction wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:06 pm They will be drafting a rb next year with one of their 9 picks in the first three rounds. Maybe Barkley. Qb probably too since Tyrod is obviously not a favorite of theirs. Williams is definitely a surprise, but there has to be a decent reason behind it since money was not an issue with him right now.
the current idiots running the hapless bills should have the fans howling for rex and doug whaley back , it is starting to look like the bills aspire to be the 2008 lions . Why not trade shady and start tj yates at qb .
If I were a vet there I would mutiny my way the hell out of that insane asylum.
I think the Bills are doing great considering they have two 1sts, two 2nds, and two 3rds next year and still a good chance at a respectable showing, despite their killer schedule. Cleveland was terrible but at least they had three 1sts last year and two 1sts and three 2nds next year. The Jets on the other hand have embarrassed themselves for a 2018 2nd and a 5th and it's hard to imagine a quick recovery from this hole they are in.
Yeah I don't get the Bills hate

Jason
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jason » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:51 am

https://twitter.com/JonScottTV/status/9 ... 4009167876

A clip of Sean Mcdermott on twitter saying it was something to do with special teams. Does that mean fatass Mike Tolbert is one of their key kick coverage guys or something?

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:13 am

Bills will actually have 3 thirds once they cut a couple guys from an uninspiring list. Need to do it before sometime in November I believe.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:22 am

I've got to think he gets picked up here soon...
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:50 am

worst thing that could've happened to him was failing to really impress anyone in a year where a lot of running back talent went during and after the draft, he's a replaceable talent who will either end up on a practice squad or hang around as an FA until someone gets injured

also, as Valhalla pointed out, he didn't get much production aside from what his OL gave him and since the Bills had a top 3 OL in terms of rushing last year it's pretty much a downgrade no matter where he goes
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

dmac37
Role Player
Role Player

Postby dmac37 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:10 pm

Greg Cosell, who's opinion I really trust was extremely high on him coming into the NFL. He had him in the top tier with Elliott, this may be a little over zealous but I will keep Williams until we see what he does with a fair shot.
As a Williams owner I would like to see him on the Giants, really good chance to be #1 there.
12 Team PPR Scoring:
QB: Purdy, Pickett, Howell, Rodgers
RB: Bijan, Kamara, A. Jones Spears Allgeier, Tucker, Hunt
WR: ARSB, Ridley, Nacua, E. Moore, Hollywood, Addison, Mingo, Mooney,
M. Thomas, Gallup
TE: Hockenson, Ferguson
PK:
DST: Ravens

12 Team Superflex PPR Scoring:
QB: Fields, Tua, Howell, White
RB: J. Taylor, A. Jones, Pierce, Swift , K. Miller, Hunt, Ford,
WR: Pittman, Deebo, Godwin, Ridley, Gabe Davis, E. Moore, Mooney, Toney, Q. Johnson
TE: Ferguson, Okonkwo L. Thomas

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:17 pm

GridironGuerilla wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:22 am I've got to think he gets picked up here soon...
I think he will too. I've read on bleacher report and listened to several different hosts on Sirius that thought it was a terrible move to let Williams go and how he had a really good preseason, so I tend to trust those people, especially when I thought it was a dumb move, why not try harder to keep Gillislee in the offseason if they pretty much had to know that they weren't keeping Williams. The almighty Pats jumped right on Gillislee, so, it's just another head-scratching move by the Bills this off-season, maybe it will work out for them, we'll see.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:46 pm

He went unclaimed so maybe it wasn't as bad of a cut as some of you seem to think. I wonder what Karlos Williams is doing today?