Jonathan Williams released

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dmac37
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Jonathan Williams released

Postby dmac37 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:26 pm

Tsunami wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:46 pm He went unclaimed so maybe it wasn't as bad of a cut as some of you seem to think. I wonder what Karlos Williams is doing today?
I think there me be something going on behind the scene for him to go unclaimed by every team???
12 Team PPR Scoring:
QB: Purdy, Pickett, Howell, Rodgers
RB: Bijan, Kamara, A. Jones Spears Allgeier, Tucker, Hunt
WR: ARSB, Ridley, Nacua, E. Moore, Hollywood, Addison, Mingo, Mooney,
M. Thomas, Gallup
TE: Hockenson, Ferguson
PK:
DST: Ravens

12 Team Superflex PPR Scoring:
QB: Fields, Tua, Howell, White
RB: J. Taylor, A. Jones, Pierce, Swift , K. Miller, Hunt, Ford,
WR: Pittman, Deebo, Godwin, Ridley, Gabe Davis, E. Moore, Mooney, Toney, Q. Johnson
TE: Ferguson, Okonkwo L. Thomas

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:29 pm

dmac37 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:10 pm Greg Cosell, who's opinion I really trust was extremely high on him coming into the NFL. He had him in the top tier with Elliott
Happen to know where I can find these statements? I googled it but couldn't find it.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:33 pm

Tsunami wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:46 pm He went unclaimed so maybe it wasn't as bad of a cut as some of you seem to think. I wonder what Karlos Williams is doing today?
He doesn't share the other issues Karlos has, but agreed him being passed-over by the other 31 teams doesn't look good. Maybe its a medical issue or something? Hard to say. But I still think he'll land somewhere before too long.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:05 pm

Here's one I found in like half a minute:

A strange offseason in Buffalo just took another unexpected turn. On Sunday, the Bills surprisingly cut running back Jonathan Williams, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.
Williams is by no means a household name, but he was expected to be an important player for the Bills this year. After the Bills let the Patriots steal Mike Gillislee this offseason, they were expected deploy Williams as LeSean McCoy's backup. Williams, 23, rushed for 94 yards and a score on 27 carries last year, but he looked great this preseason when he averaged 5.8 yards per carry.
According to Rapoport, the Bills aren't releasing Williams due to an injury or a looming suspension. They're just cutting him for football reasons.

That's what makes this such a surprising move. Who will backup McCoy now?
SPONSORED BY CHARLES SCHWAB
Trader Q&A: How Can I Hedge Against Near-term Volatility?
Kevin Horner talks with Theresa Carey, columnist at Barron's, about how to hedge against upcoming events when concerned about near-term volatility.
Those duties could fall to longtime Panthers back Mike Tolbert, even if he's technically a fullback. What a strange offseason this has been for the Bills -- from the firing of GM Doug Whaley the morning after the draft to the trade of Sammy Watkins. Who knows where the Bills will turn now, but don't rule anything out.
Sean Wagner-McGough
mugshot
Sean Wagner-McGough
CBS Sports Writer
FOLLOW
Sean Wagner-McGough joined CBS Sports in 2015 after graduating from UC Berkeley. A native of Seattle, Sean now resides in the Bay Area. He spends his spare time defending Jay Cutler on Twitter. FULL BIO

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:06 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:29 pm
dmac37 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:10 pm Greg Cosell, who's opinion I really trust was extremely high on him coming into the NFL. He had him in the top tier with Elliott
Happen to know where I can find these statements? I googled it but couldn't find it.
Greg Cosell is mainly featured on "The Fantasy Guru Podcast" with John Hansen ..

He also appears on "The Eagle in the Sky Podcast" with Fran Duffy, but they usually only discuss the Eagles on that one ..

I'll try to find the actual podcast, it was in 2016, Draft Preview .. here is a clip of one of his comments:

He has his own posts on Yahoo known as "the Shutdown Corner" .. He also always presented him as a sleeper, since his injuries prevented him playing in 2015 .. but he did like him a lot..
I think more people would be talking about my No. 2 running back in this draft if he had actually played in 2015.

Jonathan Williams of Arkansas was out all last season with a foot injury. And that medical history is a concern, and I don't know what the team doctors are saying about him now; all I know is what I see from him on tape during the 2014 season. And it's impressive.

I see a back who is quicker laterally than Ezekiel Elliott, and may be more naturally powerful. He is a classic I-formation back with the overall skill set to thrive in an NFL run game. He has foundation back traits. Williams is an excellent prospect with all the skills demanded to function well in an NFL environment.

Williams has good size, at 5-foot-11, 220 pounds, and is very effective running inside. He showed the ability to get through small cracks at the point of attack with decisiveness and short area burst, and that is critical for an NFL back. There won't be large holes for NFL backs most times, they have to create them.

I have Elliott as the top back in the draft, like everyone else. Derrick Henry is an interesting back, but I think he needs to find the right scheme fit. I don't have that issue with Williams. I think he can fit in any scheme he's drafted to. As long as he can stay healthy, I like his NFL future.

On the second episode of "The Shutdown" podcast, I discussed in depth many of the running backs in this class, and the wide receivers and tight ends as well. There's much more on Williams, Elliott, Henry and that entire group, as well as much more on my top two receivers in this class, Laquon Traadwell and Josh Doctson. (If you missed the first episode, with a breakdown of the quarterback class of this draft, you'll find it in this post.)
Last edited by Plank on Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
@PlankMelody

Lincoln18
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Lincoln18 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:17 pm

drugs

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:36 pm

Found an archive of the Shutdown, but don't see the preview listed .. around the same time I think they discontinued the podcast and he went with the Guru ..

https://player.fm/series/the-shutdown-w ... ank-schwab

Don't think you can listen to these ... I was pretty happy when I found his podcast, but it didn't last long ..

k, going to end the search here, but here all the episodes for Fantasy Guru ..
https://www.podcastone.com/fantasy-guru ... sodes=true

Would be one of the 2016 draft ones 4/15, 4/21, 5/5/2016 ...
@PlankMelody

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:03 pm

I have a suspicion that a suspension is looming.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:08 pm

In college Williams' best season was 2014 when he had 222 touches for 1255 total yards and 14 total TDs, that same year, on the same team, Alex Collins had 207 touches for 1109 total yards and 12 total TDs so it's not like Williams was even a standout on his own team, let alone the rest of the backs in his draft class, not to mention he lost 5 fumbles that year and benefited from a great OL, add to that the 2 fumbles he had on just 27 carries last year and his underwhelming YPC behind yet another great OL and he's just your run-of-the-mill replaceable talent RB with ball security problems

Alex Collins, his backfield mate from AK, had 31 carries for 125 yards and 11 catches for 84 yards and 2 fumbles last year and yet nobody is making excuses for the Seahawks cutting him
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:39 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:03 pm I have a suspicion that a suspension is looming.
Don't keep us in suspense on your suspicion of a suspension ... "suffering succotash" said Sylvester.

J Dubs did have a DUI traffic stop. Him and a couple of dozen other players. Why is he being ostracized ?

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:26 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:03 pm I have a suspicion that a suspension is looming.
This is my guess after all the dust has settled. Either a suspension for drugs or PEDs will show up next.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:45 am

I don't think so the brass with BUF just said there were no off field issues, just that he didn't have more than one role ... so apparently he was cut because the other backs played on special teams ..

Listened to John Murphy show last night trying to gather some insight, and it was basically a shoulder shrug, have to admit I am a little disappointed with that show .. with so much going on the show seems a bit sterile, its like that 'yes' man at work, not going against the grain at all ... be upset or something, its ok .. :shock:
@PlankMelody

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:48 am

I just paid a 5th for him. If he signs to another team, I think it's a good investment.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:04 pm

heyfeefellskee wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:48 am I just paid a 5th for him. If he signs to another team, I think it's a good investment.
Even if it is Denver's practice squad?

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:22 pm

One of the more perplexing situations I've seen in a while. I can't seem to make sense of it unless something more comes out with a suspension or legal item...but now he's with Denver. I don't buy that he just didn't have other roles as a reason to bail. He was seemingly the clear #2 runner, with little behind him to speak of. The rebuilding perspective doesn't make sense either. And why would no team in the entire league go for him on waivers? Perhaps we are overrating his talent, but I struggle to think that's the case to that degree. Something is missing.