So. Phillip Dorsett is a Patriot now.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Re: So. Phillip Dorsett is a Patriot now.

Postby Valhalla » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:14 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:22 pm Still, though, it obviously wasn't going to work for Dorsett in Indy. He apparently needs different coaching if he's gonna succeed at all, and now he's got it. So. We'll see.
Oh so they do have coaching in Indianapolis now?

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:29 pm

Hey man. Chud doesn't deserve that shade.

(lol, tho)
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby bigchiefbc » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:09 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:10 pm
Tsunami wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:23 pm Brissett isn't NFL-ready
Looked pretty darn ready the other night. Although he's still gotta learn Indy's offense, so little chance he starts Week 1 over Tolzein or however his name is spelled.
Brissett is not good. One preseason game against 3rd stringers doesn't change everything. Every other time I've watched him play, either in previous preseason games, or the two regular season games he played in last year, his passing chops are just not there. Before the last preseason game, the word around Boston was that he was probably going to be cut. The only thing that the last game changed was it gave him some trade value. If he were the long-term post-Brady plan, I would have been terrified.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:23 pm

This is essentially a value move as mentioned before.

Brissett does not look like anything more than a career back up at best at this point.

The Pats at least get some depth at a shaky position outside of Cooks.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:42 pm

I am hoping Dorsett puts up a good game or two and I am selling. I grabbed him about two weeks ago when I took over an orphan and had some roster spots. Figured I might get lucky when I heard trade rumors around him. I'm selling for any 2nd or equivalent.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:01 pm

bigchiefbc wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:09 pm Brissett is not good. One preseason game against 3rd stringers doesn't change everything. Every other time I've watched him play, either in previous preseason games, or the two regular season games he played in last year, his passing chops are just not there.
Actually, he did pretty okay in his two spot-starts last year the Pats never expected or planned for him to have to make. No picks, completed more than 60% of his passes for a 7+ YPA. The problem in those games was that the 3rd-string rookie suddenly having to make starts plainly hadn't mastered the offense enough yet to functionally lead it, which is hardly surprising, considering the circumstances and how complex the Pats' offense is to begin with.

But regardless of all that, '16's sample-size (just 55 pass attempts) does not represent enough tape for you to already condemn Brissett's prospects. Not objectively, anyway.

As for his preseason performance against (and with) 2nd and 3rd teamers the other night, you should consider that Brissett looked much better than Mahomes, Watson, Kizer, and even Trubisky did against the same level of preseason competition. If you're not already declaring they all stink too, you're guilty of double-standard.

I don't think you even watched the game.
Before the last preseason game, the word around Boston was that he was probably going to be cut.
Speculation by people that didn't actually have any inside source for it. Belichick runs a tight ship.
Last edited by ninotoreS on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:23 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:01 pm
bigchiefbc wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:09 pm Brissett is not good. One preseason game against 3rd stringers doesn't change everything. Every other time I've watched him play, either in previous preseason games, or the two regular season games he played in last year, his passing chops are just not there. Before the last preseason game, the word around Boston was that he was probably going to be cut. The only thing that the last game changed was it gave him some trade value. If he were the long-term post-Brady plan, I would have been terrified.
He was a rookie last year, and he was decent enough to go 1-1 in his spot starts during the regular season. But regardless of that, '16's reps didn't and don't represent enough tape for you to already condemn Brissett's prospects. Not objectively, anyway.

As for his preseason performance against (and with) 2nd and 3rd teamers the other night, you should consider that Brissett looked much better than Mahomes, Watson, Kizer, and even Trubisky did against the same level of preseason competition. If you're not already declaring they all stink too, you're guilty of double-standard with Brissett.

I don't think you even watched the game.
To be fair one of those was a shutout over the Texans where Houston had bleep all going on offense and the other one Brissett got the Pats shut out at home for the first time since 1993

Houston game: 11/19 (57.9%) 103 yards, 0 TDs, 0 Ints, 72.9 rating, 8 rushes, 48 yards, 1 TD
Bills game: 17/27 (63%) 205 yards, 0 TDs, 0 Ints, 86.2 rating, 4 rushes, 23 yards, 0 TDs
*Bonus* 2.5 quarters against the Dolphins: 6/9 (66.7%) 92 yards, 0 TDs, 0 Ints, 100.2 rating, 4 rushes, 12 yards, 0 TDs (Pats won 31-24 btw)

If you wanna make an argument for Brissett, go for it, I don't care about the guy one way or the other, but using any of his 2016 play to show he's a good passer is really misrepresenting him, his only valuable contribution on offense in 2.5 games was a nice 27-yard TD scramble which had nothing to do with his ability as a QB and everything to do with his strength as a rusher (was good at it at NC State, 263 rushes in 2 years for 900 yards)

"I don't think you even watched the game." That's some peak DLF forum posting right there. I'm actually getting extra eyes added to my face so I can watch games twice as hard this year so I, too, can be better than everyone else.
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:25 pm

Ain't saying the Pats offense didn't sputter with Brissett. It obviously did. But not because Brissett was throwing awful or making egregious mistakes.

I edited my post as you were writing yours to clarify. Here, I'll quote for you what I added:
The problem in those games was that the 3rd-string rookie suddenly having to make starts plainly hadn't mastered the offense enough yet to functionally lead it, which is hardly surprising, considering the circumstances and how complex the Pats' offense is to begin with.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:30 pm

StableOfRBs wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:23 pm "I don't think you even watched the game." That's some peak DLF forum posting right there.
You snark, but the last four weeks on these boards I have many times noted posters here making assertions regarding player performance in the preseason games they didn't actually watch, but rather just noted box-scores.

For example, "So-and-so was great, as I've said all along, he's the biggest steal of the draft!" Then me: "Nine of eleven of his carries went for 2 yards or less, he was the fourth RB to get snaps, and his one good play that created his nice-looking statline was deep in the 4th quarter against 3rd-teamers". Stuff like that. All month.

I'd bet you cash money he didn't watch the game. Regardless of reserve-teamers, Brissett was sharp the other night.
Last edited by ninotoreS on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:35 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:30 pm
StableOfRBs wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:23 pm "I don't think you even watched the game." That's some peak DLF forum posting right there.
You snark, but the last four weeks on these boards I have CONSTANTLY seen posters here to be making opinions about players in the preseason games they didn't watch, but just studied box-scores. It was epidemic, dude.

I'd bet you cash money he didn't watch the game. Reserve-teamers or not, Brissett was sharp the other night.
And he was bad the first two games, what if he just watched those instead?
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:37 pm

Point is, one preseason game where he looked pretty good isn't gonna erase his average/below average regular season games or the two other preseason games where he did nothing. He's a JAG.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:45 pm

Point is, you don't have the actual data yet to argue he's JAG. And he was not 'bad' in those other reps this preseason. He barely did anything at all in those two games. Week 4 was the only sample that was large enough to actually mean anything.

bleep. Now I'm getting flashbacks of arguing exactly this same point to people here in the 2015 offseason regarding Devonta Freeman's 65 rookie-year carries.

This is the last I speak of Brissett. It's sounding like I'm championing him, when in fact he's on the waiver-wire in my league and that is where I think he should be.

But he might just be a viable fantasy fill-in for Luck owners in the future, as Luck continues to miss games every damn season. And no, I don't own Luck, either.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby bigchiefbc » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:49 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:01 pm
Actually, he did pretty okay in his two spot-starts last year the Pats never expected or planned for him to have to make. No picks, completed more than 60% of his passes for a 7+ YPA. The problem in those games was that the 3rd-string rookie suddenly having to make starts plainly hadn't mastered the offense enough yet to functionally lead it, which is hardly surprising, considering the circumstances and how complex the Pats' offense is to begin with.

But regardless of all that, '16's sample-size (just 55 pass attempts) does not represent enough tape for you to already condemn Brissett's prospects. Not objectively, anyway.
To throw your own crap back at you, if you actually watched those games last year, he almost never threw a pass more than 5 yards past the LOS, and when he did, it was wildly inaccurate. His YPA may look OK, but I'd be curious to know the average depth of target on those passes. I'm a Pats fan so I've seen every snap of his in the last two preseasons and those 2.5 games he played in the regular season. It's not a big sample, so I'm speaking largely via eye-test here. And my eyes show me someone who's not a talented passer, at least not at anything beyond short passes.
ninotoreS wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:01 pm I don't think you even watched the game.
:roll: Whatever dude. All I can say is this - as a Pats fan, I'm really freaking happy that the Pats didn't view him as the future solution to the post-Brady era.

dlf_jaronf
Administrator

Postby dlf_jaronf » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:27 am

I think we're all ready for week 1!

sesame street thugz
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby sesame street thugz » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:12 am

From the Patriots standpoint I think this trade has as much to do about Cyrus Jones' injury as it does Edleman's. Jones and Edleman were the two most likely punt returners and are now gone for the year. Dorsett can step in day one as a returner and learn the offense as the year goes along. If he can pick up the offense and be effective that is a bonus.
Qb: J. Winston, S. Bradford, J. Brissett, A.J. McCarron, T. Bridgewater (IR)
RB: L. Bell, L. Fournette, M. Ingram, A. Collins, J. Conner, J. Hill, D. McFadden, A. Morris, T. Watson, D. Williams, R. Smith (TS)
WR: B. Cooks, A. Robinson, S. Diggs, M. Jones, B. Coleman, P. Cooper, T. Lockett, C. Patterson, K. Listenbee (TS), T. Mc Bride (TS)
TE: J. Graham, E. Swoope (IR)
K: M. Bryant
DL: M. Bennett, D. Hunter, G. Atkins
LB: M. Barron, R. Shazier, B. Wagner, J. Bostic, J. Brown, M. Kendricks
DB: J. Poyer, H. Smith, E. Apple, D. Shead (IR)