McDonald to Steelers

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Pet_Smith
Starter
Starter

Re: McDonald to Steelers

Postby Pet_Smith » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:51 am

Would you say he's more or less of a hold than Trey Burton & Tyler Kroft?

I think I'd hold Burton over McDonald - no idea about Kroft though
Dynasty - 9th year, 12-team, Standard scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1K, 1DE/DT, 1LB, 1CB/S - 25man roster / 6 Taxi Squad
'17 Champ, '18 Runner Up, '23 rebuild

QB Watson, A Richardson, O' Connel (TS)
RB Gibbs, Akers, Dillon Carter, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Mcintosh, Tucker, Hull (TS)
WR Metcalf, DJ Moore, Addison, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Collins, Claypool, Mingo (TS), Hyatt (TS), Wilson (TS)
TE Higbee, Freirmuth, Otton (TS)
K Joseph
DE/DT Hunter
LB Franklin Simmons
C/S James

1.01, 1.04

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:15 am

Strangely he might be worth more if Ben retires and they bring in a rookie. He’s a late read on most plays right now as Ben is great at finding his WRs (or Bell). If a rookie comes in, the tight end may suddenly be leaned on a little more.

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:54 am

Pet_Smith wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:51 am Would you say he's more or less of a hold than Trey Burton & Tyler Kroft?

I think I'd hold Burton over McDonald - no idea about Kroft though
I’d personally hold them both over him, Kroft would actually be my first choice of the three

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:56 am

I'd be holding T.Kroft over Burton and McDonald as well.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:47 am

I like Burton's talent of the three...but his potential production really depends on the landing spot.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:32 pm

Will be curious to see who Pittsburgh brings in to run the offense. Munchak and Fichtner seem to be the most talked about for the role right now, but neither has a history as an OC.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:02 am

Fantasyfanatic11 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:05 am I know its not headline news, but wondering what everyone makes of McDonald's big game vs the Jaguars and his future going forward?

Team high 16 targets, 10 catches for 112 yards. Could be a solid stash for next season?
Pitt shoveled short passes between the hash-marks and in the flat as part of an atypical game-plan vs Jax's elite perimeter defense, and McDonald was a beneficiary as a guy Pitt knew Jax wouldn't focus on. McDonald's stat line was also a beneficiary of Ben's play-extension vs Jax's ferocious pass-rush, as a dump off option.

Thus, it was unusual circumstances, and isn't any sort of indicator for '18 usage. McDonald's usage in the regular season remains the much more likely indicator of his role going forward.

He's gonna block a lot, like all of Pitt's TE platoon. They're all good blockers, McDonald in space, the others in-line, and that's how Pitt has primarily utilized their TEs for over a decade; e.g. Heath Miller averaged over 50 yards a game only once in eleven seasons played.
WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:23 am PIT went out and traded for McDonald for a reason. I'd say he's a stash worth an early 3rd.
Because they needed to shore up the depth-chart, and he's a good blocker, which is what Pitt really cares about with their TEs. Early-3rd for a 28-year-old in '18 that caught all of 14 regular season passes this year, has never caught more than 30 in five pro seasons, and has notoriously sketchy ball-skills is silly. McDonald could be on the waiver in 95% of dynasty leagues by mid-season in '18, especially if Pitt drafts a TE before Day 3.

McDonald is waiver-wire material or a very-end-of-bench stash for a TE-needy roster. In trade value, I'd say he isn't worth more than a rookie-draft 5th round pick. It's almost guaranteed Pitt continues to use a platoon at TE in '18. And if they bring in a new OC that decides to change that script, more likely than not he'd draft his own guy at TE to use.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE