Trade offer - include dropped players?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Trade offer - include dropped players?

Postby Tsunami » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:36 pm

Am I right in thinking that people perceive a trade offer to be worse if you include the players you're going to drop? For example, I just sent:

Cameron Meredith and Randall Cobb
for OJ Howard, John Brown, Jamaal Williams, Teddy Bridgewater.

Does that look like a better offer than this?

Jason Witten, Leonte Carroo, Cameron Meredith and Randall Cobb

It seems like whenever I send an offer like the 2nd one I get a reply saying "No thanks I don't want Witten". It's like the presence of a bad player taints the value of the good ones. Anyone else noticed this or am I imagining things?

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Trade offer - include dropped players?

Postby sugbear65 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:01 pm

I've noticed this is the past too. I agree, an empty spot can look better in a trade than a bottom end roster guy. I'm not sure but there must be a psychological answer to it.
Another thing I've noticed is when trading a RB, no one ever seems interested in the handcuff or committee mate. Like if I was to sell Ajayi and try to toss in Drake, it doesn't add any value at all. But if I were to sell Drake on his own, I could at least get a late round pick for him. So u may as well keep that backup and not involve him in talks unless the other owner specifically targets him.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:21 pm

A 6 player deal is what gets a quick rejection from me. It's not the filler. It's a team trying to give up maybe 1 good piece and 3 spare parts for the best two players in a deal. Pretty typical of deals of 5+ players. I don't want to have to waive 2+ players on my team to accommodate a trade.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:56 am

when I send an offer like that I just include in the note " hey I know these guys are not worth anything ( or much) , I would have to cut them anyway so I included them just in case you want them you won't need to make a waiver claim" . I do not attempt to pretend they have any real trade value so by admission they are likely worthless or of little value , I hopefully gain some credibility with my trade partner.
Especially in the listed offer as witten and carroo would have wholly different teams that might be in need of their services . Witten perhaps a depth guy for a team ready to in a short window , Carroo for a total rebuild that might want to stash him for a potential breakout . Really difficult to imagine any team being interested in both guys at opposite ends of the career spectrum.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:18 am

clarion contrarion wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:56 am when I send an offer like that I just include in the note " hey I know these guys are not worth anything ( or much) , I would have to cut them anyway so I included them just in case you want them you won't need to make a waiver claim" . I do not attempt to pretend they have any real trade value so by admission they are likely worthless or of little value , I hopefully gain some credibility with my trade partner.
Especially in the listed offer as witten and carroo would have wholly different teams that might be in need of their services . Witten perhaps a depth guy for a team ready to in a short window , Carroo for a total rebuild that might want to stash him for a potential breakout . Really difficult to imagine any team being interested in both guys at opposite ends of the career spectrum.
This.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:35 am

I, too, try to explain that those "other" guys I included in my offer were guys I would cut and they could have for free, but it does seem to hurt the offer's strength.

I think some owners think you're trying, despite the explanation, to sell them some garbage players and they don't want to be seen buying them. It depends on the other owner. Some will absolutely reject them, others will see it as it is & know those are just guys to even up the number of players traded or guys they can cut right after accepting a trade.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:18 am

Unlike the last few posts, I almost never send any explanation with my trade offers. Reason being is it looks like you are trying to convince someone too hard that a deal is in their best interest to make.

To the OP...I think it just depends on your trade partner. I don't see any value to Witten or Caroo. But I'm not going to dismiss a deal if there are pieces I like. Your offer (with or without the pieces), for example...it's basically Meredith for Howard (a wash) and Cobb for the rest (prefer Cobb). I think the psychological component with including the other two pieces comes down to an aspect of ownership and reluctance to let go...so once I have Witten on my roster (if you sent the 2nd offer), am I going to be more averse to just releasing him under the premise he has at least a small trade market? Or am I better off not having a deal with him in it at all?
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Balzac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Balzac » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:41 am

I usually discuss that bit after the trade has been agreed on. As long as there is no penalty for dropping players people seem completely fine with it.
10 Team TE Premium, Dynasty Year 6 - (1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 3FLEX, 1K, 1DEF)
http://www57.myfantasyleague.com/2017/o ... =07&F=0002

12 Team .5PPR, Dynasty Year 4 - (1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 3FLEX)
https://www66.myfantasyleague.com/2017/ ... =07&F=0011

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:25 am

Tsunami wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:36 pm Am I right in thinking that people perceive a trade offer to be worse if you include the players you're going to drop? For example, I just sent:

Cameron Meredith and Randall Cobb

Does that look like a better offer than this?

Jason Witten, Leonte Carroo, Cameron Meredith and Randall Cobb

It seems like whenever I send an offer like the 2nd one I get a reply saying "No thanks I don't want Witten". It's like the presence of a bad player taints the value of the good ones. Anyone else noticed this or am I imagining things?
It is the time of year people worry about roster cutdowns so offering deals with marginal players tacked on can come across like a #'s dump.
Although I would want Caroo and Witten so the deal above I would do because I have roster space
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:34 pm

I tend to look at these sort of trades in a different manor. If you're trying to dump some players on me in a 'bigger' deal, what are they worth to me as a WW pickup? Maybe I value Carroo as $10 of my $100 budget? I would then weigh my options of making the deal without Carroo and maybe picking him up on the wire later for $10, or I could save the $10 and get him in the deal if I have roster space.

Maybe I know someone else in the league wants him so I would take him anyways and then offer Carroo to the 2nd owner for $10 or $15? If I have temporary roster space, I will take the players knowing they add no value to my team or the trade being offered. If I don't have roster space I look to see what I'm willing to spend on them on the wire and weigh the options.

Kramer
MVP
MVP

Postby Kramer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:46 pm

I'm usually talking to the other owner when making deals. Either face to face or online. I'll include the major pieces initially to see if we're close. Then if he's debating. I'll say that I'll have to drop one or two players if we did the deal, so I could toss in someone like blank or blank if you want them as a throw in as well. It usually comes off better than including the player initially and it gives them a choice, which always makes the other person feel better about it.

Although this didn't work out for me last year as the other guy asked for Terrell Pryor to be thrown into a deal.
10 team SF .5ppr-QB,2RB,3WR,TE,Flex,SF,Def (30 spots)
QB: Allen, AR, Brissett
RB: Mixon,Barkley,Rhamondre,Foreman
WR: Deebo,Adams,Jeudy, Devonta,Nuk
TE: Knox,Chig, Woods, Ferguson
2023 picks: 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20
2024 picks: 3 2nds
2025 picks: 3 2nds

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:07 pm

Balzac wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:41 am I usually discuss that bit after the trade has been agreed on. As long as there is no penalty for dropping players people seem completely fine with it.
If they agreed to do the deal without those players wouldn't throwing them in be collusion? Giving something for nothing?

My offer was turned down. :doh: