Christian McCaffrey Thread: CMC Extension

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Christian McCaffrey....Gold or Gimmick?

Postby IBall2 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:32 am

I think he splits carries with Stewart most of this season so they both have fresh legs all year long but if he shows well throughout the season, I think CAR makes him the feature back next season and lets Stewart take a back seat. But I'm thinking 150-180 rushes with 50-70 targets for his rookie season.

They just spent a top 10 pick on him, I don't think they will turn around next season and spend another high draft pick on an early down RB to replace Stewart if CMC shows well.

NanceUSMC
Role Player
Role Player

Postby NanceUSMC » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:04 am

Panther fan here...

Absolutely not a gimmick... this kid is special...

My caution would be that even if JStew leaves soon, Carolina will bring in another RB to keep the carries low for each...

That said, even 2 RB's shouldn't devalue CMC much, since he's involved in so many aspects of the offense... He's going to be super fun to watch!

I hold the 1.01, and even though I just can't bring myself to pass on Fournette, if I had the 1.02/03/04, he would be my target...
10 team Non-PPR (1QB, 2RB, 3WR/TE, 1K, 1Def), full keeper, 23 man roster, established 2013

QB: Tannehill, Tua
RB: CEH, Swift, Sanders, Bell, Fournette, Etienne
WR: Jones, Hopkins, Chase, D Smith, Bateman, Parker, Fuller, Harry, D Johnson, D Samuel, P Williams, Higgins, Chark
K: Butker
Def: Baltimore, Carolina

Championships: 2015, 2017

2014: 1.01 (Became Watkins)
2015: 1.03, 1.04, 3.04 (Became Gurley, Yeldon, CAP, Robinson UDFA)
2016: 1.10 (Became Fuller)
2017: 1.01, 3.07 (Became Fournette, Henderson)
2018: 2.10 (Became Chark)
2019: 1.04 (Became Harry, Samuel, Williams, Isabella, Johnson)
2020: 1.01, 1.05, 2.01, 3.01 (Became CEH, Swift, Tua, Higgins)
2021: 1.03, 1.08, 2.03, 3.03 (Became Chase, D Smith, Etienne, Bateman)

KCLep20
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby KCLep20 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:23 am

My fear with CMac, is that I drafted Gio with high hopes and they brought in a power back the very next year. Gio has been serviceable, but he will never be the true bellcow which you need to be an RB1. Once JStew retires or moves on, how surprised would anyone be if the Panthers brought in a power back in the 2nd/3rd rd next year?

CMac is very talented, but I'm not sure I see 20 carries a game, which limits him to a RB2 most likely, even in PPR.
1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex (RB/WR/TE)/1 Superflex (QB/RB/WR/TE)
'Ships: 2008, 2017, 2019, 2021; 2nd place: 2010, 2014, 2018, 2022
12 team PPR with 14 Keepers/year
2023 Draft Picks: 1.04, 1.05, 1.11, 3.04, 3.07, 5.04
QB: L.Jackson, J. Burrow, G. Minshew, J. Winston
RB: J.Mixon, ETN, Jav.Williams, J.Conner, Z.Moss, JK Dobbins (IR), N.Chubb (IR)
WR: AJB, CD Lamb, DK, C.Sutton
TE: M.Andrews, T.McBride, I. Likely

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:40 am

IBall2 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:32 am I think he splits carries with Stewart most of this season so they both have fresh legs all year long but if he shows well throughout the season, I think CAR makes him the feature back next season and lets Stewart take a back seat. But I'm thinking 150-180 rushes with 50-70 targets for his rookie season.

They just spent a top 10 pick on him, I don't think they will turn around next season and spend another high draft pick on an early down RB to replace Stewart if CMC shows well.
Granted, it wasn't a Top 10 pick, but the Bengals drafted Jeremy Hill in the 2nd round a year after taking Gio in the second. It's very, very possible. McCaffrey to me is a weapon rather than an RB who can establish a ground game consistently between the tackles.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:59 am

KCLep20 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:23 am My fear with CMac, is that I drafted Gio with high hopes and they brought in a power back the very next year. Gio has been serviceable, but he will never be the true bellcow which you need to be an RB1. Once JStew retires or moves on, how surprised would anyone be if the Panthers brought in a power back in the 2nd/3rd rd next year?

CMac is very talented, but I'm not sure I see 20 carries a game, which limits him to a RB2 most likely, even in PPR.
What does McCaffery have to do with Gio? Sounds a bit anecdotal. I could just as well point to Jamaal Charles as a comp.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

RAB
Role Player
Role Player

Postby RAB » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:14 am

It seems like a lot of people dont think he can handle a full work load. Is that because of his size? He seems to be one of those super elusive compact backs that fall into this size/weight category. He's listed at 5'11", 205 lbs. Jamaal Charles is a good comp for his size 5'11", 199. Barry Sanders 5'8", 200 lbs. Melvin Gordon 6'0", 208 lbs. Dalvin Cook 6'0", 209 lbs. No one seems to think they can't/couldn't do it.
TEAM 1
10 team .5 PPR 1QB/2RB/2WR/TE/3FLEX/DEF
2019 Champion
2020 Champion
QB-Lamar Jackson, Trey Lance
RB-CMC, Kamara, King Henry, Chubb,, Dillon, D.J., Tony Jones
WR-Metcalf, AJ Brown, Godwin, Arob, Mooney, Bryan Edwards
TE- Fant, Goedert, L. Thomas

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:22 am

RAB wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:14 am It seems like a lot of people dont think he can handle a full work load. Is that because of his size? He seems to be one of those super elusive compact backs that fall into this size/weight category. He's listed at 5'11", 205 lbs. Jamaal Charles is a good comp for his size 5'11", 199. Barry Sanders 5'8", 200 lbs. Melvin Gordon 6'0", 208 lbs. Dalvin Cook 6'0", 209 lbs. No one seems to think they can't/couldn't do it.
Jamaal Charles is a lot faster than him at 4.38. He's also an anomaly. Even then, he's torn his ACL twice and needed to get his meniscus trimmed last season. He's handled the workload, but it hasn't been without durability problems.

If we look at BMI, their bodies and strength are not necessarily the same:

Gordon - 14th percentile BMI, 19 bench press
Cook - 49th percentile BMI, 22 bench press
McCaffrey - 9th percentile BMI, 10 bench press

Granted, something as simple as a bench press isn't indicative of NFL success, but it is indicative of upper body strength, which is crucial to handle a big workload.

Charles is similar, but I don't think their games are similar at all and I wouldn't bet on him to become him.
Last edited by Cameron Giles on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:23 am

I love CMC's game but if they use him on returns too that may be dangerous. His success has been more with quickness and speed than with power.
It will be interesting to see how well he handles dings and tweaks. He seems to be pretty tough and could play through them but how much quickness and speed will minor injuries take away? I'm pulling for him though...

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:56 am

AzTheCrow wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:23 am I love CMC's game but if they use him on returns too that may be dangerous. His success has been more with quickness and speed than with power.
It will be interesting to see how well he handles dings and tweaks. He seems to be pretty tough and could play through them but how much quickness and speed will minor injuries take away? I'm pulling for him though...
Does he have a history with injuries? I haven't done any research on this aspect of CMC but I haven't heard any negatives about injuries like we have from Fournette.

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:20 am

I took Cook over him at 1.4 and still would today. I think he's good but he's still my 4th RB. Cook is built to be more of a feature back and still can catch out if the backfield. I dont think CMC will be a bust, but I think there will always be at least to some degree, that he'll be a better football player then fantasy player.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

RAB
Role Player
Role Player

Postby RAB » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:25 am

skip wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:26 pm Go with your gut. Simple as that. I've said as much in a couple threads but I think he could very well turn out to be the best RB in this class.
If I'm being honest my gut says go with Mixon and Cook. My eyes say CMC and Cook. Thanks for everyone's input.
TEAM 1
10 team .5 PPR 1QB/2RB/2WR/TE/3FLEX/DEF
2019 Champion
2020 Champion
QB-Lamar Jackson, Trey Lance
RB-CMC, Kamara, King Henry, Chubb,, Dillon, D.J., Tony Jones
WR-Metcalf, AJ Brown, Godwin, Arob, Mooney, Bryan Edwards
TE- Fant, Goedert, L. Thomas

Sgtpsych
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Sgtpsych » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:32 am

I love what I have been seeing from the guy. Still debating between and him in standard league at 1.02
Team 1-
12 team standard dynasty 6 pt - td, .1 per rushing yd, .1 per receiving yd. .04 per passing yd , 24 player roster
1 qb, 2 RB, 2 wr, 1 TE, 2 flex
QB-Russell Wilson, Tom Brady
RB-Leonard Fournette, Joe Mixon, Kareem Hunt,Thomas Rawls,Jerick McKinnon, Chris Carson, TJ Yeldon, Aaron Jones
WR-OBJ, AJG, NUK, ARob, Mike Williams, Josh Gordon, Marqise Lee, Willie Snead
TE- Jimmy Graham, Coby Fleener, George Kittle, Tyler Kroft
K- Harrison Butker
D-Carolina Panthers, Jags
2018 1st and 4th

Team 2-
QB- Winston, Prescott, Flacco
RB- Freeman, Fournette, Montgomery, Murray, Yeldon, Hightower, Washington, Procise, Lacy, Starks, Conner
WR- NUK, Doctson, Ross, Aghlor, Treadwell
TE - Engram, Davis
D- Giants,Chiefs
K- Gostkowski

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:44 am

Did you actually study any of his college tape? Kid is a stud, period.

Dynasty rule #37363: don't let a few preseason games change your draft board much
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Postby JJDubya » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:00 am

I only play in PPR leagues, and where I've had a choice, he's my #1 RB. He brings a floor and ceiling. I view him as being a more gifted Danny Woodhead. Sure, he's going to have fewer TDs than a typical feature back, but I see him ticking all the boxes - great receiver, tremendous achievement in college, great head on his shoulders, just fine between the tackles, no injury or other negative history to speak of. He's as safe a pick in my eyes as you can get in fantasy. There's downside, but think there isn't with someone like Fournette, who had a tremendous year in college get derailed by injuries last year that are starting to creep into this year. Not to mention, who cares about volume when your team isn't able to sniff the red zone. It's not that I don't like the other options at RB, I just like this kid more. Stewart hasn't been the picture of perfect health, either. Is anyone concerned that a Stewart injury is going to lead to more Cameron Artis Payne touches? Likely not. CMC is gold.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:45 am

He is legit
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams