Cooper Kupp - Value Up?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Re: Why the hype on Cooper Kupp?

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:32 pm

clarion contrarion wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:20 pm I wouldn't have for landry as I direct comped him to hines ward
And Landry is many pundits' direct comp for Kupp.

And PFF comps him with Houshmandzadeh.
wild hyperbole
It ain't hyperbole when it's rational conjecture backed by hard-facts and real precedent.
Last edited by ninotoreS on Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:47 pm

while I think you are robinson crusoe on this one- perhaps cooper kupp is your angel
at least you put it out there I can respect that 100%
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:52 pm

I freely admit for the record that I am even more optimistic slash bullish regarding Cooper Kupp's prospects than I was about Devonta Freeman back in '14.

For those who remember my activity in Freeman's threads in '14 and '15, that should say something.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:00 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:00 pm
clarion contrarion wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:18 am cooper kupp on truth serum isn't buying that take ^^^
If guys with the workout athleticism and skill-sets of Wes Welker, Jarvis Landry, and Hines Ward can get a 100 catches in a season, it's entirely plausible for a guy with Kupp's prospect profile to be capable of it.

And anyway, you're exactly wrong; Kupp is buying that take and more, actually. He's on record saying he sets outrageous goals for himself. Which, incidentally, he completely achieved in college. Now he says his goal is to be a hybrid of Fitz, Brown, and Green. So, obviously, with that sort of confidence I'm sure 100 catches in a season is only a starting point for his personal goals.
Jason3123 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:46 am 100 catches? Lol. GTFOH.
I'm sure you would have lol'ed back in '14 at the idea of Landry doing it, too.

smh
I'm on this side of the kupp debate. I see a very solid player

HawkeyeState
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby HawkeyeState » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:53 pm

People want to hop on the Kupp hype train but dog Sammy Watkins but they on the same team.
Makes so much sense...............................NOT
Team 1
10 TM .5 PPR, 6 pt all TDs 1/2/3/1/2Flex
Newton, Rivers
LF, Chubb, Michel, Kerryon, Hyde, AJones, Royce F, Crowell
Adams, Cooper, Alshon, Watkins, ARob, Fuller, Doctson, Funchess, Gallup, Pettis, Valdez-Scant
Gronk, HHenry, Engram
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 2
10 TM 1/2/3/1/1Flex 6pt all TDs .25 PPR RB, .5 PPR WR, 1 PPR TE
Wilson, Big Ben
Bell, JConner, MMack, Shady, CThompson, D'Onta Foreman, C Edmonds, B Scarborough
Julio, Nuk, Fuller, Cooks, ARob, Watkins, Cooper, SShepard, CDavis, DJ Chark
Kelce, Olsen, Andrews
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 3
10 team, 0.5 PPR RBs WRs, 1 PPR TEs, Devy Superflex League
Carr, Goff, Falk
Barkley, Dalvin, Mixon, Michel, Ballage, MDavis, Dixon, Akers*
Hopkins, JuJu, Watkins, Fuller, Agholor, Moncrief, EQSB, Valdez-Scant, CRogers
Eifert, Ebron, JJames, JCook
1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 3.04

Played against David Johnson in HS, he was a stud back then too

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:23 pm

clarion contrarion wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:47 pm while I think you are robinson crusoe on this one- perhaps cooper kupp is your angel
at least you put it out there I can respect that 100%
I'm with Nino on this one so he's not the only one on the island. I believe I said it earlier, he's going to be a guy people wish they had spent a third-rounder on. Watched his career unfold at Eastern, saw his games against Pac-12 competition, none of it was too big for him and he excelled. So far in his brief stint in the NFL he's also looked pretty darn good.

I'm trusting my eyes on this. The guy can play football. Whether you dislike his metrics, pedigree, college he attended, team he plays for, whatever. He's just good at the game, and he'll be showing it on Sundays very soon.

And I'll be happy to come on back and take my lumps if I'm wrong.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:37 am

So, apparently, a certain rookie is teaching Sammy Watkins the Rams offense.

Also, this, and this.

And I promise I'm not actually this guy. I'm only predicting it in '18. :kappa:
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

jermainew
Role Player
Role Player

Postby jermainew » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:59 am

I have to say something here. I coached Cooper from Grid Kids through HS. My son was his HS QB..... We had a blistering passing offense in HS, with Cooper being #1 of course.... The reason I'm saying this is because he WASN'T the fastest on that team (Other 3 WR were ALL faster, and QB) .... he just had "IT", and ridiculous quickness and football savvy.... He also from 11, 12, 13 yrs old was asking questions about the game that even I as his coach could not answer!! He was thirsty for knowledge and a tireless worker.... Like I told his parents about 2 years ago, no matter how far this goes, no one will ever know his character FAR outweighs anything he does on the field!!!

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:12 pm

jermainew wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:59 am I have to say something here. I coached Cooper from Grid Kids through HS. My son was his HS QB..... We had a blistering passing offense in HS, with Cooper being #1 of course.... The reason I'm saying this is because he WASN'T the fastest on that team (Other 3 WR were ALL faster, and QB) .... he just had "IT", and ridiculous quickness and football savvy.... He also from 11, 12, 13 yrs old was asking questions about the game that even I as his coach could not answer!! He was thirsty for knowledge and a tireless worker.... Like I told his parents about 2 years ago, no matter how far this goes, no one will ever know his character FAR outweighs anything he does on the field!!!
Prove it. Just kidding :lol:
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:56 pm

HawkeyeState wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:53 pm People want to hop on the Kupp hype train but dog Sammy Watkins but they on the same team.
Makes so much sense...............................NOT
Watkins can't stay healthy, is learning a new offense and has 0 chemistry thus far with Goff. Watkins is the better long term play, but the gap isn't all that wide despite the belief around here.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:19 pm

We saw what happened in preseason Week 3 with Kupp sidelined; the Jared Goff we saw in preseason Week 2 disappeared. Seems to me he clearly missed having Kupp on the field.

I believe there is a real possibility Cooper Kupp still leads the Rams in targets this year, even with Watkins on the field. Goff is 'processing' his reads too slowly, and so he needs to lean on a guy who reliably gets open quckly as his go-to first-read or check-down, and right now that appears to be Cooper Kupp.

I'm contemplating starting Kupp Week 1 (my league with him has an extra flex-slot instead of a kicker) vs Indy. Cooper beat TJ Carrie like a drum preseason Week 2, and Carrie's pretty good. Darius Butler Week 1 will be an interesting test. He was graded Indy's best corner last year.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:38 am

ninotoreS wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:19 pm We saw what happened in preseason Week 3 with Kupp sidelined; the Jared Goff we saw in preseason Week 2 disappeared. Seems to me he clearly missed having Kupp on the field.
Not sure what you're insisting we saw... 5 for 8 for 56yds, vs 16-20 for 160 yds.
7 yards per attempt vs. 8 yards per attempt. 11 yds per reception vs. 10 yds per reception... An INT on a pass to Watkins...

Pretty sure you could make the same argument about Gurley not being out there for week 3. I'd assume defenses wouldn't stack the box against Malcolm Brown..... which would likely be a much bigger impact than a rookie WR not being out there.

Hard to compare stats when Goff played only 3 drives this week. The pass that was intercepted was to Sammy Watkins.
12-team Non-PPR QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, K, DEF
QB: Herbert, Tanny
RB: Chubb, Stevenson, AJ Dillion
WR: AJ Brown, M Evans, M Williams, D London, C Olave, Jameson Williams, M Thomas
TE: D Njoku
K: Butker

2023: 1.01, 2.01
2024 early first, late first

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:27 pm

And a sack-fumble at the Chargers' 8-yard line which the Chargers returned for a touchdown. Your perusal of the box-score must've missed that.

You obviously didn't watch the game, so you didn't see anything at all. Probably just shouldn't have replied then, since my post didn't apply for you. I'm guessing you didn't actually watch Week 2, either.

Goff was poised and decisive Week 2. He didn't hold the ball too long and looked in command. Week 3 he was back to looking scared, and took too long to make his reads and progressions. i.e. He returned to last year's form. He was yanked after two series ended by bad turnovers because McVay could see the game was canceling out the progress that was made in Week 2; the goal right now is to build up Goff's confidence.

I have already posited my theory for the difference between Goff's confidence in the pocket Week 2 vs Week 3: having Kupp as a first-read and check-down vs not having Kupp as a first-read and check-down. Think Tannehill with Jarvis Landry. It's practically a mirror-scenario. Also like Tannehill with Landry, Goff was equally gun-shy attacking downfield Week 2 vs 3.
I'd assume defenses wouldn't stack the box against Malcolm Brown
You assume wrong, guy-who-didn't-watch. Malcolm Brown was effective selling play-action Week 3, and the Chargers' safeties were playing as close to the LoS as the Raiders' were in Week 2, because regardless of whether Gurley or some other RB is on the field, opposing Ds don't respect Goff's deep-ball right now. It falls to Watkins to make them respect it, but he hasn't built any timing or chemistry with Goff yet.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:43 am

It's just plain asinine to say that if Cooper Kupp were on the field that Bosa would not have been able to sack Goff and potentially force a fumble. Bosa's spent the whole offseason training camp focusing on stripping techniques to create more turnovers from his sacks.

Kupp may be good, but the line of reasoning here just screams confirmation bias with little relevant or factual information. Rotoworld saw Kupp's absense as "Kupp's injury isn't serious, but it's a blow for the 24-year-old rookie." He's got great hands, but still has 4.62 wheels and played against much lesser sized players in college. He's going to get the ball a lot underneath and as a result sustain a lot of hits from Linebackers and strong safeties.
12-team Non-PPR QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, K, DEF
QB: Herbert, Tanny
RB: Chubb, Stevenson, AJ Dillion
WR: AJ Brown, M Evans, M Williams, D London, C Olave, Jameson Williams, M Thomas
TE: D Njoku
K: Butker

2023: 1.01, 2.01
2024 early first, late first

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:13 am

jermainew wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:59 am I have to say something here. I coached Cooper from Grid Kids through HS. My son was his HS QB..... We had a blistering passing offense in HS, with Cooper being #1 of course.... The reason I'm saying this is because he WASN'T the fastest on that team (Other 3 WR were ALL faster, and QB) .... he just had "IT", and ridiculous quickness and football savvy.... He also from 11, 12, 13 yrs old was asking questions about the game that even I as his coach could not answer!! He was thirsty for knowledge and a tireless worker.... Like I told his parents about 2 years ago, no matter how far this goes, no one will ever know his character FAR outweighs anything he does on the field!!!
Well I invented the internet.... Just playing. Thats pretty cool if true and I know I have read similar sentiments about him after I saw him torching some Power Conference teams the past couple of years.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry