Cooper Kupp - Value Up?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Why the hype on Cooper Kupp?

Postby The Red Rooster » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:02 pm

In fairness, his hype was really pre-Watkins...its still there, but he's taken a bit of a hype hit. Having said that, one could argue Watkins will open up things underneath for him. As previously stated, good hands, college production, supposedly bright and runs great routes. I'd like him at the end of my bench.

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:27 pm

-A study in 2011 found that the 40, vert, 20 yd shuttle, and 3 cone had little to do with predicting future NFL performance and that college performance was a much better indicator.

-Quote from Daniel Jeremiah, former scout and analyst: "The position where the 40 holds the most weight is cornerback. If you're a receiver who runs a 4.6 like (Anquan) Boldin, but you have short-area quickness and strong hands, the 40 isn't a big deal." 3-cone and 20 yd shuttle are the best drills to show short-area quickness, anything under 7 seconds for the 3-cone is decent, Kupp ran a 6.75, for the shuttle you want about 4.20 seconds, Kupp ran a 4.08

-fantastic college production, broke several FCS records including Jerry Rice's all-division career yards record in his first 3 years (39 games to Rice's 42), the career reception record, and the career TD reception record (by no means am I even suggesting that Kupp is the next Jerry Rice but Rice also coincidentally ran about a 4.6s 40)

-gets open easily in the short-mid range so he's an easy safety blanket for Goff on a team that has a very poor OL (and already bailed him out last week when Goff was under pressure)

-also due to the poor OL the Rams should have more trouble than most teams running the ball and a great way of covering that up is with short passes near the LoS, should lead to a high volume of targets

-if Goff can prove that last year was just a bad year for him and that Fisher was largely responsible by performing well this year then Kupp has a solid young QB to develop with
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:42 pm

Decent hands? Everything/every tweet/every report has said he's literally Mr. Reliable and catches everything.

Would I draft a 24 year old receiver in the 1st or 2nd? No but I'd be more than happy to take him starting in RD3.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:46 pm

StableOfRBs wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:27 pm -A study in 2011 found that the 40, vert, 20 yd shuttle, and 3 cone had little to do with predicting future NFL performance and that college performance was a much better indicator.

-Quote from Daniel Jeremiah, former scout and analyst: "The position where the 40 holds the most weight is cornerback. If you're a receiver who runs a 4.6 like (Anquan) Boldin, but you have short-area quickness and strong hands, the 40 isn't a big deal." 3-cone and 20 yd shuttle are the best drills to show short-area quickness, anything under 7 seconds for the 3-cone is decent, Kupp ran a 6.75, for the shuttle you want about 4.20 seconds, Kupp ran a 4.08

-fantastic college production, broke several FCS records including Jerry Rice's all-division career yards record in his first 3 years (39 games to Rice's 42), the career reception record, and the career TD reception record (by no means am I even suggesting that Kupp is the next Jerry Rice but Rice also coincidentally ran about a 4.6s 40)

-gets open easily in the short-mid range so he's an easy safety blanket for Goff on a team that has a very poor OL (and already bailed him out last week when Goff was under pressure)

-also due to the poor OL the Rams should have more trouble than most teams running the ball and a great way of covering that up is with short passes near the LoS, should lead to a high volume of targets

-if Goff can prove that last year was just a bad year for him and that Fisher was largely responsible by performing well this year then Kupp has a solid young QB to develop with
Nicely supported, SORBs.
Do you happen to have a link to that 2011 study?

MikeHoncho
Rookie
Rookie

Postby MikeHoncho » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:39 pm

The guy runs great routs and creates separation while only being a really good (not great) athlete. Also has great hands as mentioned above. Combine those two traits and you have a guy a QB can trust to be where he is supposed to be and will get the ball a lot.

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:52 pm

Valhalla wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:46 pm
StableOfRBs wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:27 pm -A study in 2011 found that the 40, vert, 20 yd shuttle, and 3 cone had little to do with predicting future NFL performance and that college performance was a much better indicator.

Nicely supported, SORBs.
Do you happen to have a link to that 2011 study?
The link is off the NFL Scouting Combine wikipedia page, goes to an online article that's behind a paywall for what looks to be a college textbook:
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... 011.555218
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:24 pm

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:52 pm I just don't get it. Kupp is a slow slot receiver with decent hands on a LAR offense that wants run and play good defense. If they do pass, I'm not confident in Goff, and Watkins and the TEs are probably going to take most of the targets. Someone change my mind?
did you hear that jeff fisher is gone and took rob boras with him? also they hired sean mcvay as their hc and he had the skins in the top 5 offenses in the league the last 2 seasons.

they acquired sammy watkins who will open up the field for more intermediate routes which is where kupp will shine. they also have tavon austin who always draws extra attention from the d so kupp will most probably need to beat only one defender, which he will do with ease, or find a soft spot in the zone, which he is more than capable of doing.

i think that sums it up. also, this year is the return of gurley. kupp is gonna eat up the yardage.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:48 pm

What hype are you referring to? Kupp is a very solid late 2nd round rookie pick, way better than some of the previous 2nd rounders in the past few years. Kupp isn't the only player with a solid late 2nd round value. This is a deep NFL draft.

I think Kupp has a good chance to be a solid PPR WR and have a solid NFL career based on comments above. If you can get that from a late 2nd round pick, that's awesome.

dpham503
Rookie
Rookie

Postby dpham503 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:03 pm

I think Kupp will just be the next Beasley, perhaps slightly better. I don't think he'll get that many targets as Rams will be running quite a bit of 2 TE sets which means Everett or Higbee who I think are far superior athletically.
12-Team, Full PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX, 1SF
QB: Winston, Tannehill, Brady, K. Allen, RG3, Manning
RB: Gordon, Conner, Guice, Laird, M. Davis, J. Williams, B. Scott, Henderson, McCoy, D. Lewis
WR: Hopkins, Godwin, Edelman, Tate, Slayton, Samuel, P. Williams
TE: Andrews, J. Smith, Graham
Taxi: Stidham, Willis

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:12 pm

dpham503 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:03 pm I think Kupp will just be the next Beasley, perhaps slightly better. I don't think he'll get that many targets as Rams will be running quite a bit of 2 TE sets which means Everett or Higbee who I think are far superior athletically.
This may be true. But Kupp is seriously good at football. An underrated player IMO.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:14 am

the next good wr les snead drafts will be the 1st one so color me skeptical , not from missouri but the rams used to be so he will need to prove it before I invest . jeff fisher has been a convenient and deserving punching bag for the rams offensive woes but snead has been the GM for 6 drafts and the time period has encompassed some truly horrid offensive players .
might be terrific but my guess is JAG !
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:29 am

From his draft profile, when you can look at what guys have done against top tier players it helps when you are unsure whether they have the metrics for the next stage.

"In 2014, he punked both Marcus Peters and Sidney Jones when he took on Washington. Two first-round talents. You tell me if he's going to be a starter." -- South regional scout for AFC team

I think he is a solid football player. I see him producing a lot of volume much like Taywan Taylor (different players but can do the same things for their offenses in the league and be that volume slot guy).

Also, I think the main hype for him was last year. It's been real quiet on him in a long time, I think people are just expecting him to be about what he will be now.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:40 am

clarion contrarion wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:14 am not from missouri but the rams used to be so he will need to prove it before I invest
I believe the words you're looking for are "he will need to show me," Biff.

Novacane
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Novacane » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:47 am

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:52 pm I just don't get it. Kupp is a slow slot receiver with decent hands on a LAR offense that wants run and play good defense. If they do pass, I'm not confident in Goff, and Watkins and the TEs are probably going to take most of the targets. Someone change my mind?
Sounds like you are describing Jarvis Landry.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:14 am

Novacane wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:47 am
Sounds like you are describing Jarvis Landry.
That was my thought as well