14 teamer, flexible rosters?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

14 teamer, flexible rosters?

Postby jordanzs » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:20 pm

Well this question is for a redraft league, but I'm also thinking about it for future dynasty startup leagues as well.

We have a (redraft) league that's expanding from 12 to 14 teams. Naturally a league with more teams will put a squeeze on productive players, especially during bye weeks.

Has anyone ever played in a 14 teamer PRR with this roster requirement:

1QB
1RB
2WR
1TE
2 RB/WR/TE flex
1DST
1PK

So basically you could start:

1RB/4WR/1TE
2RB/3WR/1TE
3RB/2WR/1TE
2RB/2WR/2TE
1RB/2WR/3TE (yes this lineup might not be ideal)

Is this too much flexibility where it degrades the value of the RB position?

Any other ideas for a 14 teamer? We have 7 bench slots. But if we did a future dynasty startup with this format, there would be more bench spots & taxi squad.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Re: 14 teamer, flexible rosters?

Postby Tsunami » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:44 am

The larger the league, the more RBs are worth. There is a more significant drop-off at that position than others. (This is true for QB as well.) More flex positions will balance this out but it won't "degrade the value of the RB position".

Edit - I guess I should explain. Last year there was a 10 point gap between RB12 and RB14, but there was only a 3 point gap between WR24 and WR28 (according to FantasyPros). While this isn't a lot of points, it still increases the value of the top RBs relative to the top WRs in larger leagues. In a 16 team league the gap increases to 17 vs. 7 points.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:17 pm

So using that logic, it is cool or lame to open up the roster flexibility to where you can play a 1RB/4WR lineup? Especially in a league where there are 7 bench slots, and bye weeks screw things up.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:50 pm

I think it's cool. The top RBs will still be worth a lot, but nobody will be stuck starting Darren Sproles because of a shortage. More open = more balanced.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:10 pm

Tsunami wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:44 am The larger the league, the more RBs are worth. There is a more significant drop-off at that position than others. (This is true for QB as well.) More flex positions will balance this out but it won't "degrade the value of the RB position".
This is true. In my 14 teamer people value RB's the most. But the flexible roster possibilities you list would be nice since it would create other avenues for owners to build a successful team. RB's would still hold a great deal of value though. Sounds like a fun format.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku