Sterling Archer
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Seattle #2 WR

Postby Sterling Archer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:23 am

_yeti wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:27 pm
Sterling Archer wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:44 am
_yeti wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:11 pm

At the risk of turning this into ANOTHER Moncrief thread, the guy is barely drafted in the third round and in his 4th year his hype is still through the roof. Meanwhile, Darboh is getting tons of positive statements from the coaching staff and people are discussing whether he may be on the PRACTICE SQUAD?!

A weaker WR depth chart than Indy, and no one cares bc of the perception of the situation he is entering, being that Seattle is bad for and can't support fantasy wrs when in reality they obviously can.

Moncrief has a poll right now where he is worth a 1st or early 2nd for 50% of respondents and Darboh is basically free. Rather than go for the free guy who is younger, the community flocks to the more expensive option because groupthink has created a value he doesn't deserve. My man Darboh is going to prove people wrong. Won't be a WR1, but a guy who can have the upside of a steady WR2/WR3 who is basically waiver wire fodder should be something we all want to add.
I'm late to this party but... wtf are you on about?

First off, Moncrief is 24.0 years old while Darboh is 23.6 years old. I'm going to call that age difference officially negligible. Moncrief is an undisputed starter for his team and has shown flashes of NFL talent with some pretty plausible reasons why things haven't quite come together for him (extremely young rookie, injured QB in year 2, himself injured in year 3), but Darboh is an old rookie who is buried on the depth chart and shown absolutely nothing in the NFL yet.

So I don't know why you bring Moncrief up. You've got yourself some an apple and an orange here.

Darboh is a fine guy to stash if you've got space AND patience. At a minimum, Lockett is going to be on the team in 2018, so Darboh is likely a nothing until 2019. I'm not wasting a roster spot on that. My leagues only have 26-30 spots and each guy has 2018 starter potential. If I pick Darboh up, it'll be next year.

Now I do agree there's a lot of groupthink in fantasy football. A LOT. But there's also a lot of silly hype. Sounds like you are buying into Pete Carroll coach speak. Don't be that guy. Carroll gushes about everyone. He's not to be trusted.
The first sentence made me chuckle. I didn't realize Darboh was so old, I guess I just assumed he was younger as a rookie, so that is one part I hadn't researched. I said I didn't want to make this another Moncrief thread, I just wanted to use him as an illustration of a point. I love how some guys have "plausible reasons why things haven't come together" and others are washed up busts instantly. Usually it is people sticking to whatever they initially thought about that person and that governing whether they hold out hope or write them off.

"At a minimum, Lockett is going to be on the team in 2018, so Darboh is likely a nothing until 2019." When I see this kind of thinking I am always irked by it. Football is a next man up sport and no one has shown that more than Carroll. Lockett has been okay. Kearse has been below-average and seems to benefit from the fact that he and Wilson grew on the team together. I see Darboh as a bigger threat to Kearse than Lockett, as I could easily see 2018 with Baldwin and Darboh on the outside and Lockett in the slot.

And for the record I liked and added Darboh before Carroll started praising him and before training camp started. My point about bringing up a hype machine like Moncrief, was that Darboh has zero hype, even among us degenerates. You have guys who are seventh rounders going before him, and he was drafted at a spot in a situation not so different from Moncrief. I don't want there to be a ton of hype or drive the price up, I just think the guy is getting disrespected being taken later than 7th rounders and such.
I hope I've never said anyone under 25 is a washed up bust... I prefer to look carefully at each situation and you may not have been speaking about me personally, but I will say I've actually changed my tune on Moncrief. I started off skeptical, then the next year when Indy brought in Andre Johnson I assumed it was because they didn't have faith in Moncrief, but I saw enough out of him that year to pique my interest but the price was just too high. And now Moncrief has gotten cheap enough that I find him intriguing. So I'm not running off initial hype or residual hype. I've looked at his situation closely and I really don't think he's to blame for his lack of numbers. If it is possible for a guy to be a year 4 "post hype" value, I think he is it. I mean, he's half a year younger than Parker and people are still on his bandwagon.

But back to Darboh and Lockett, I don't see Lockett as a slot guy. Are you saying that just because he's not tall? I think he could rotate into the slot, but he's a perfectly acceptable outside WR and so long as he's healthy, I think he's good enough to keep Darboh at bay. Perhaps we just have different views of Lockett as a talent. I'm not on his hype train, but he's another "post hype" guy that I'm interested in if I can get him cheaply. He's shown enough in the NFL to prove he belongs here. Darboh may be a 3rd round pick, but well over 50% of 3rd round picks don't pan out, so I'm just relying on statistics to say that Lockett has better odds of success than Darboh. But given Lockett's talent, I think even if Darboh beats the odds and is a suitable NFL WR2, he's still not going to see fantasy worthy targets until 2019 which isn't good enough for a <30 man fantasy roster, IMO. However, I think the same is true for a lot of 7th rounders, so I'll agree that if people are drafting those guys then they should be considering Darboh.

But I hope you can understand the lack of enthusiasm. Both Richardson and Lockett are talented guys and Darboh hasn't even beaten out Kearse yet (I believe Kearse sticks around due to his run blocking). This is a team that features the TE pretty strongly and doesn't run a lot of 3WR sets to my knowledge. Even if you believe in Darboh, you're probably safe letting him sit on the waivers or just waiting for someone to drop him mid-season for a random WW pickup.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:44 am

Looks like Kasen Williams may have just darkhorsed his way into the lead. He's got the size to be a comparable blocker to Kearse and more skill as a receiver. Richardson could potentially unseat him, if he can get healthy, but there's no guarantees there.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:20 am

ericanadian wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:44 am Looks like Kasen Williams may have just darkhorsed his way into the lead. He's got the size to be a comparable blocker to Kearse and more skill as a receiver. Richardson could potentially unseat him, if he can get healthy, but there's no guarantees there.
I would say Williams has looked good and has worked his way onto the 53 man roster. To assume he has jumped to #2 and guys like Lockett and Richardson will have to "unseat" him seems like an extreme overreaction to a couple preseason games in my opinion.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:52 am

sugbear65 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:20 am
ericanadian wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:44 am Looks like Kasen Williams may have just darkhorsed his way into the lead. He's got the size to be a comparable blocker to Kearse and more skill as a receiver. Richardson could potentially unseat him, if he can get healthy, but there's no guarantees there.
I would say Williams has looked good and has worked his way onto the 53 man roster. To assume he has jumped to #2 and guys like Lockett and Richardson will have to "unseat" him seems like an extreme overreaction to a couple preseason games in my opinion.
Earlier on I said I wasn't a believer. He'd been pretty underwhelming since joining the team. But frankly, it appears he's worked very hard on the P-Squad, and developed his craft. I'm ready to join the chorus that he'll likely make the 53, and play some sort of role in 2017 as he's also a special teamer.

How large his role becomes will be predicated on the health of Lockett and Richardson. Kearse is starting to look as though he's on his way out of Seattle. If not this year, certainly before his $5.5 mil for 2018 becomes guaranteed. It appears Seattle will be swapping one Husky for another.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:39 am

Kasen Williams' back story makes me more of a believer after what he's overcome. Not like Richardson has done anything to justify his spot in the WR hierarchy and Lockett still needs to show he can stay healthy.

Seattle is one of the few teams where I think draft capital doesn't matter and the best players will see the field. Right now, Kasen is among those guys.

Valhalla74
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Valhalla74 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:24 pm

People will try to guess, probably get it wrong, and one of them will be a waiver wire pickup at some point.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:27 pm

don't matter imho as unless your league is ocean deep or you start 5 wr none will make a difference !
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:45 pm

Will be interesting .. Richardson may get some run, but I think he'll get injured again.. Lockett would seem reasonable, but he disappears too often in games .. great #3 kind of guy.

I really like the way Kasen Williams has been going up and getting balls, SEA hasn't that in awhile .. Tate gave them some of that, we shall see, its entertaining at least..
@PlankMelody

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:02 pm

Yea I am no Moncrief fan but the comparison is a fairly weak one. If Darboh were an unquestioned starter on his team and Wilson threw for about 700 more yards and 10 more TDs than he does there would be considerable Darboh hype.

I agree he's underrated but he's got quite a few hurdles to jump over that Moncrief has already crossed.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert