DGB is so bad.....

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: DGB is so bad.....

Postby Goirish374 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:42 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:28 pm How was it inexplicable?
exactly the comment i was going to make.

his trade was a surprise--but it was far more "predictable" than it was "inexplicable"
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:51 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:28 pm
StableOfRBs wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:15 am
Valhalla wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:10 am

Free agent rbs can be successes waiting to happen. I can't recall a single wr since cris carter that has been a #1 that was ever a free agent AFTER getting pushed into roles to succeed. DGB was drafted decently high, pushed to succeed, subsequently dumped and sits unsigned. I'm all for patience with young WRs, but his case is a little different than waiting on a Tyler Lockett or something.
Could there actually be strong interest from teams and he's holding out for more $? I suppose it's possible. Could he ever develop into a #1 wr? Sure, it's possible. There are so many other better bets though, imo. Including just investing in future picks to target some other wr that comes along.
Granted I'm not super high on the guy right now and am pretty split on whether he'd ever pan out or not, but I think being pushed to succeed was part of the problem.

He started 5 games as a rookie and several of those were after Mariota got hurt so he had to deal with Zach Mettenberger under center (not to mention no rushing threat) after not having played football in almost a year and a half (yes I know it was completely his fault and that's definitely a knock on him) and he was already very raw before that happened. While his catch % of 47.8 and catch total of 32 isn't great for a 2nd round rookie he still managed to put up 549 yards and 4 TDs and one 2-Pt conversion on the season which is 96.9 points in a .5 PPR league. That's more points (in 5 starts mind you) than Robby Anderson (8 starts) or Robert Woods (10 starts) last year and Mettenberger is barely an upgrade over the nonsense Anderson had throwing to him, if at all (and certainly worse than Tyrod) and both those players are not only on NFL rosters but at least in Anderson's case are looking to be heavily targeted this year and both of them have been talked about as fantasy pieces.

Then, he inexplicably gets traded mid-August for a depth OL to a team that runs a very different offensive scheme and has only 7 starts with yet another rookie QB and his numbers drop to 392 yards and 2 TDs, second most of any WR on the Eagles.
How was it inexplicable? Tennessee traded him because he was dogging it in OTA's and getting outplayed by inferior talent. Philadelphia cut him for the same reason. I can't remember the last time a 2nd round WR was essentially cut during OTA's in consecutive off seasons before the beginning of his 3rd year.

DGB's problem isn't that he's been pushed to succeed too early. His issue is that he's a space cadet with terrible work ethic. Some players just don't have the drive to play in the NFL and he's looking like one of them.
Because he was taken with a high 2nd round pick and finished the previous season as the best WR on the team in both yards and TDs despite only starting 5 games and then got replaced by Tajae Sharpe who went on to have a worse season with twice as many starts. Just doesn't make sense that a WR that you spent decent draft capital on and who you knew was going to be a bit of a project and was still the best WR on your team the year before gets traded for peanuts.

Again, not trying to say DGB is/was some great underused talent or whatever but he's worth a roster spot more than the likes of Harry Douglas or the ghost of Andre Johnson that the Titans still attempted to use last season. Seems like it had more to do with the regime change at HC/GM than anything to do with his talent because they wanted to bring along a guy that they drafted who was actually worse.
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:58 pm

It's a team sport. Chemistry and morale are pretty important. Work ethic and attitude (both good and bad) can be contagious. Maybe the coaches had a very explicable reason to ship him out.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:09 pm

StableOfRBs wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:51 pm Because he was taken with a high 2nd round pick and finished the previous season as the best WR on the team in both yards and TDs despite only starting 5 games and then got replaced by Tajae Sharpe who went on to have a worse season with twice as many starts. Just doesn't make sense that a WR that you spent decent draft capital on and who you knew was going to be a bit of a project and was still the best WR on your team the year before gets traded for peanuts.

Again, not trying to say DGB is/was some great underused talent or whatever but he's worth a roster spot more than the likes of Harry Douglas or the ghost of Andre Johnson that the Titans still attempted to use last season. Seems like it had more to do with the regime change at HC/GM than anything to do with his talent because they wanted to bring along a guy that they drafted who was actually worse.
It makes a lot of sense. It's called addition by subtraction. Teams know players will be projects, but they don't have time for players who dog it on a regular basis.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:42 pm

Guess that should've been the cue to sell when a team gives up on you like that and deals you for a backup lineman instead of thinking he was now suddenly going to be top 10. That was probably the 2nd highest point to sell aside from around draft time.

Lesson learned.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:28 pm
DGB's problem isn't that he's been pushed to succeed too early. His issue is that he's a space cadet with terrible work ethic. Some players just don't have the drive to play in the NFL and he's looking like one of them.
Sometimes 24 year olds grow up and get it together. I've never seen a slow, short 24 year old suddenly get tall and fast. This is why I don't give up on athleticism.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:36 pm

:ugeek: DGB was SOOO Bad ... That his Weed dealer waived him :wink:

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:53 pm

I think anyone who took DGB knew he was gamble right? he had the size and athleticism, the question was if he could get his mind and character into football shape. That answer has clearly been no he cannot up to this point of his career. I guess if it makes you feel better to say "I called it" on a guy that was a high upside long shot to begin with, then more power to you. But I guess I'm just missing point of this thread, unless it's the chance to make people look silly a couple years from now if he ever does somehow pan out.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:47 pm

We thought DGB was a gamble but we didn't expect his value to drop so quickly. If you had told me when I drafted him that he would have 941 yards and 6 TDs his first two seasons I would have thought that was pretty good. It wasn't a one-season gamble, I'm buying for at least another season or two.

On a related note: How did Treadwell go from being the first WR to being worth a mid-2nd in one year? I think people have forgotten how to play dynasty leagues since 2014.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:23 am

Maybe the scouts & GM 's are no better than the fans or FF wannbes.They fall in love with measurables but you can't measure desire or attention to detail.

Physically gifted guys can bully and dominate lesser talent but when you hit the NFL everybody has near comparable athleticism. Now you have to learn your craft and be willing to put in serious time. Some get paid and kick back thinking they made it already not realizing things just got harder. Then they find just showing up and going through the motions doesn't work anymore.

DGB was sloppy in all aspects. Lacking desire to be great. Treadwell has time to learn but was questioned from the start about ability to separate. His going as first receiver was more of an indictment on the WR class as a whole.

We will see if DGB even cares to seriously pursue a career. His cache as a specimen is gone, now he has to show dedication to get an opportunity. That's how bad he was

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:48 am

Valhalla wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:58 pm It's a team sport. Chemistry and morale are pretty important. Work ethic and attitude (both good and bad) can be contagious. Maybe the coaches had a very explicable reason to ship him out.
i feel the same way about his situation. there are lots of great thoughts here and many of you share my same opinion on dgb. the guy was the #1 high school player in the nation (that means squat gents, in fact...you should go check the list and think about drafting lenny)

character guys can certainly make it in the league. they must be able to play 1st...and then keep their head on straight. its been mentioned before, you cant teach professional athlete talent. dgb just doesnt want it as of right now. it is very concerning that no one picked him up. the word is out, i just have to wonder if its that he cant play or that he's a knucklehead destined for trouble. it does appear that he can have a role from limited action that we've seen.

i cant imagine anyone drafted him thinking that he was going to come in and contribute right away...he hadnt played competitive football for a few years. that said.....its impossible to encourage anyone to roster a guy that cant find a team. i'll hold as a last roster spot for now...but i see no reason to buy and chances are....there's a few guys on waivers in your league that id rather gamble on.

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:11 am

cazzie33 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:23 am Maybe the scouts & GM 's are no better than the fans or FF wannbes.They fall in love with measurables but you can't measure desire or attention to detail.

Physically gifted guys can bully and dominate lesser talent but when you hit the NFL everybody has near comparable athleticism. Now you have to learn your craft and be willing to put in serious time. Some get paid and kick back thinking they made it already not realizing things just got harder. Then they find just showing up and going through the motions doesn't work anymore.

DGB was sloppy in all aspects. Lacking desire to be great. Treadwell has time to learn but was questioned from the start about ability to separate. His going as first receiver was more of an indictment on the WR class as a whole.

We will see if DGB even cares to seriously pursue a career. His cache as a specimen is gone, now he has to show dedication to get an opportunity. That's how bad he was
That's probably why he was actually the 4th off the board behind Coleman, Fuller, and Doctson
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:52 am

Tsunami wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:47 pm We thought DGB was a gamble but we didn't expect his value to drop so quickly. If you had told me when I drafted him that he would have 941 yards and 6 TDs his first two seasons I would have thought that was pretty good. It wasn't a one-season gamble, I'm buying for at least another season or two.

On a related note: How did Treadwell go from being the first WR to being worth a mid-2nd in one year? I think people have forgotten how to play dynasty leagues since 2014.
Holding on to a guy who was cut and has had zero interest from other teams would seem to be the perfect example of someone who has forgotten how to play dynasty leagues.

What's the value of holding DGB when there hasn't been a sign he's close to getting another opportunity versus picking up guys who are actually on a roster and doing well?

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:53 am

StableOfRBs wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:11 am
cazzie33 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:23 am Maybe the scouts & GM 's are no better than the fans or FF wannbes.They fall in love with measurables but you can't measure desire or attention to detail.

That's probably why he was actually the 4th off the board behind Coleman, Fuller, and Doctson
Good catch, it was supposed to read "first rd receiver" . In most years none would have been taken that high although I'd give Coleman & Doctson the benefit of the doubt. Fuller was a reach as it was and Treadwell wasn't 1st rd material even last year. This year all of Davis,Ross, M.Williams, Samuel ,Godwin and maybe Zay & even Engram Iikely would've been drafted as WR'S ahead of Treadwell.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:07 pm

onetwothree wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:52 am
Holding on to a guy who was cut and has had zero interest from other teams would seem to be the perfect example of someone who has forgotten how to play dynasty leagues.

What's the value of holding DGB when there hasn't been a sign he's close to getting another opportunity versus picking up guys who are actually on a roster and doing well?
It's the "and doing well" part we disagree on, maybe. The true roster cloggers are players who are never going to be startable. Tavon Austin has been hanging around the league for 4 seasons now, maybe he'll have a wr2 season eventually a la Kenny Britt but why does he hold more value than DGB? The same goes for Funchess, Dorsett, etc. These guys haven't been injured, they've been bad. It might be too early to give up on Boyd and Braxton Miller but I actually dropped Will Fuller before DGB. These guys have proven that they can't play. DGB has proven that he squanders opportunities. Which one is more likely to change?