General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Re: DGB is so bad.....

Postby Valhalla » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:38 pm

Tsunami wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:07 pm
onetwothree wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:52 am
Holding on to a guy who was cut and has had zero interest from other teams would seem to be the perfect example of someone who has forgotten how to play dynasty leagues.

What's the value of holding DGB when there hasn't been a sign he's close to getting another opportunity versus picking up guys who are actually on a roster and doing well?
It's the "and doing well" part we disagree on, maybe. The true roster cloggers are players who are never going to be startable. Tavon Austin has been hanging around the league for 4 seasons now, maybe he'll have a wr2 season eventually a la Kenny Britt but why does he hold more value than DGB? The same goes for Funchess, Dorsett, etc. These guys haven't been injured, they've been bad. It might be too early to give up on Boyd and Braxton Miller but I actually dropped Will Fuller before DGB. These guys have proven that they can't play. DGB has proven that he squanders opportunities. Which one is more likely to change?
I get your point here, but it doesn't have to be Dorset you are rostering over DGB.
I think we all know there are a ton of NFL capable RBs in the league. Every single year there are free agents, practice squad guys, career backups, and deep rookie RBs that just rise to their chance via injury, fumbles, disciplinary, etc. Pretty much every single year we see multiple backs that become quite valuable that were waiver backs or deep deep stashes.
My point is, I agree that DGB is a very slim shot but still a possibility to be very startable, whereas other WRs (like Tavon) have given much more proof that they won't. Yet, it's not which wr could become a good fantasy start. It's which deep stash could pay off, and I'd rather stash a deep rb like the Mays kid, Brian Hill, Chris Carson, Elijah Hood, Elijah McGuire, De'Angelo Henderson, or hell a vet like Turbin if Gore goes down.

Before someone jumps on me and says these guys will never be anything...here's a short list of guys that were never supposed to be anything or were well established career backups, off the top of my head, that were then quite fantasy helpful for many. Feel free to add to the (many) backs I'm forgetting. There are so many capables out there...
Arian foster
Justin Forsett
Rob Kelley
Hightower
Shoelace
Powell
Montgomery
Ware
Turner
The non-Tatum Denver Bell (Mike?). Were there two non-Tatum Bells there?
Jennings
Sproles
Alf
Burkhead?
Rawls
West
Latavius
Woodhead

I'm sure I'm missing a TON. Anyways, these are all guys that were at one point considered pretty worthless and then opportunity arose and they provided real value (other than burkhead, but he might this year).

I'd rather put more rb gambles on my roster than DGB at this point, personally.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:31 am

It's the "and doing well" part we disagree on, maybe. The true roster cloggers are players who are never going to be startable. Tavon Austin has been hanging around the league for 4 seasons now, maybe he'll have a wr2 season eventually a la Kenny Britt but why does he hold more value than DGB? The same goes for Funchess, Dorsett, etc. These guys haven't been injured, they've been bad. It might be too early to give up on Boyd and Braxton Miller but I actually dropped Will Fuller before DGB. These guys have proven that they can't play. DGB has proven that he squanders opportunities. Which one is more likely to change?
Makes sense. I'll always roster talent with upside but hasn't reached it over middling guys but I think you have to weigh the opportunity costs to keep DGB over getting a guy like Kasen Williams or Dede Westbrook who've shown something or at least keep that roster spot fluid to get the flavor of the week in case they turn out to be legitimate.

You can drop DGB and odds are no one picks him up. That's more of a roster clogger than a Fuller who you can trade for a 2nd or use as a trade sweetener since it's only his 2nd year and there's still trade value.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:13 pm

onetwothree wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:31 am
Makes sense. I'll always roster talent with upside but hasn't reached it over middling guys but I think you have to weigh the opportunity costs to keep DGB over getting a guy like Kasen Williams or Dede Westbrook who've shown something or at least keep that roster spot fluid to get the flavor of the week in case they turn out to be legitimate.

You can drop DGB and odds are no one picks him up. That's more of a roster clogger than a Fuller who you can trade for a 2nd or use as a trade sweetener since it's only his 2nd year and there's still trade value.
Nice post onetwothree. :thumbup:

The problem with the bolded part of your statement Tsunami, is that you only get so many opportunities to squander before they dry up. DGB's well might just be empty. Last I checked, he's still unemployed. I haven't heard of any visits to other teams. It doesn't appear the league is very interested in him, so I'm really not sure why you are. But to each their own.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:45 pm

Darrius Heyward-Bey is still in the league. Justin Hunter is still in the league. Cody Latimer is still in the league. Cordarrelle Patterson is still in the league. Rod Streater is still in the league. Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins are both still in the league.

I don't know why DGB doesn't have a contract right now, but do I think all 32 teams think he's worse than those guys? If he's not in the league by September 2018 I'll cut him. I hung on to Justin Blackmon for three years.

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:02 pm

Tsunami wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:45 pm Darrius Heyward-Bey is still in the league. Justin Hunter is still in the league. Cody Latimer is still in the league. Cordarrelle Patterson is still in the league. Rod Streater is still in the league. Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins are both still in the league.

I don't know why DGB doesn't have a contract right now, but do I think all 32 teams think he's worse than those guys? If he's not in the league by September 2018 I'll cut him. I hung on to Justin Blackmon for three years.
To be fair CPat is one of the best special teams players in the league, he could be an even worse receiver than he already is and still be on rosters
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:11 pm

Tsunami wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:45 pm Darrius Heyward-Bey is still in the league. Justin Hunter is still in the league. Cody Latimer is still in the league. Cordarrelle Patterson is still in the league. Rod Streater is still in the league. Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins are both still in the league.

Cody Latimer is still with his original team. And as far as I know, none of those other players went waived and unclaimed by the other 31 NFL franchises (possible with Dobson/Thompkins, didn't look it up). DGB did, because nobody wanted him. That should tell you all you need to know. But to answer your question. Yes, I think that means they think he's less valuable than all of the above. Because as you note, they're all still in the league. DGB is not.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:14 pm

DGB was overrated from day one. He was only pretty good in college (and for just one season), never great. People saw the height and speed-score, and let visions of his potential-in-theory cloud their judgment of the reality on tape. DGB is one of the softest playing 235lb WRs I've ever seen, and the tape shows a long list of technical liabilities in his game, independent of his underlying character issues.

DGB as a prospect was always heavily a matter of projection. Of course, he never cleaned up his character (which is no surprise), but putting that aside, I question that his product on the field at any point was ever deserving of his hype in some quarters.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Maximus891
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Maximus891 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:40 am

Valhalla wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:46 am ...that Nelson Agholor looks really good in comparison
I traded Agholor for DGB this off season thinking DGB would get dropped and picked up somewhere. I was half right, lol, oh well guess when the wire opens I'll be dropping him for something. Add him to the list of Titan wash ups drafted, Hunter, DGB, Wright, Britt
Team 1 (18/19 Champ)
QB- Rivers, Jimmy G, Flacco
RB- LF, Kamara, Henry, Ito, Barber, RoJo, Harris, Brieda,
WR- Hopkins, Evans, Golladay, Foster, McLaurin, Perriman
TE- Kelce, Eifert, Knox, Gronk
Taxi-R Ridley, Love

Team 2 (16/18/19 Champ)
QB- Watson, Goff
RB- Zeke, CMC, Gordon, Chubb, R Freeman, Hunt
WR- MT, M Williams, Kupp, Campbell, Chark, Ross
TE- Henry, Hooper, Andrews

Team 3 (17/18 Champ)
QB- Stafford, Murray
RB- Cook, Gurley, Lindsay, Mixon, Drake
WR- OBJ, Hopkins, TY, Kupp, K Johnson, Parker, Renfrow, Ross
TE- Kittle, I Thomas

Team 4 SF
QB- Wentz, Kelly, Lamar, Brissett, Luck, RG3
RB- Chubb, Cook, KJ, Sony, Montgomery, Gallaman, Sproles
WR- Fuller, Watkins, Sutton, Hollywood, Pettis, Moore, Lee, Funchess, Crowder
TE- Kittle, Henry, Shaheen, LaCosse
Taxi- Gaskins, Love, Harmon, Hurd, Sample

Maximus891
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Maximus891 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:43 am

Valhalla wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:46 am ...that Nelson Agholor looks really good in comparison
I traded Agholor for DGB this off season thinking DGB would get dropped and picked up somewhere. I was half right, lol, oh well guess when the wire opens I'll be dropping him for something. Add him to the list of Titan wash ups drafted, Hunter, DGB, Wright, Britt
Team 1 (18/19 Champ)
QB- Rivers, Jimmy G, Flacco
RB- LF, Kamara, Henry, Ito, Barber, RoJo, Harris, Brieda,
WR- Hopkins, Evans, Golladay, Foster, McLaurin, Perriman
TE- Kelce, Eifert, Knox, Gronk
Taxi-R Ridley, Love

Team 2 (16/18/19 Champ)
QB- Watson, Goff
RB- Zeke, CMC, Gordon, Chubb, R Freeman, Hunt
WR- MT, M Williams, Kupp, Campbell, Chark, Ross
TE- Henry, Hooper, Andrews

Team 3 (17/18 Champ)
QB- Stafford, Murray
RB- Cook, Gurley, Lindsay, Mixon, Drake
WR- OBJ, Hopkins, TY, Kupp, K Johnson, Parker, Renfrow, Ross
TE- Kittle, I Thomas

Team 4 SF
QB- Wentz, Kelly, Lamar, Brissett, Luck, RG3
RB- Chubb, Cook, KJ, Sony, Montgomery, Gallaman, Sproles
WR- Fuller, Watkins, Sutton, Hollywood, Pettis, Moore, Lee, Funchess, Crowder
TE- Kittle, Henry, Shaheen, LaCosse
Taxi- Gaskins, Love, Harmon, Hurd, Sample

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:20 am

Probably because DGB has the work ethic of a slug and doesn't know how to play football. Not that Cody Latimer, or someone like that is any good, but if they work hard, that's at least going to keep you around a little longer.

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:38 pm

I keep waiting to hear about a suspension looming or something. I can't believe a team like the jets or the niners aren't at least bringing him in to kick the tires a little, maybe he can play special teams, what's the downside? Cut him in a week or two. I find it hard to believe there isn't more to his story than we know. Or is he really just that retarded that no one wants to touch him?

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:25 pm

sugbear65 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:38 pm I keep waiting to hear about a suspension looming or something. I can't believe a team like the jets or the niners aren't at least bringing him in to kick the tires a little, maybe he can play special teams, what's the downside? Cut him in a week or two. I find it hard to believe there isn't more to his story than we know. Or is he really just that retarded that no one wants to touch him?
I think we have a winner! :clap:

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:29 pm

Just because a guy doesn't have fantasy value doesn't mean he doesn't have real life value. Teams need guys who can play special teams, can block, are capable of running the right play or just plain willing to play for the minimum. Apparently DGB is none of the above.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:30 pm

I've finally started dropping DGB.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:55 pm

sugbear65 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:38 pm I keep waiting to hear about a suspension looming or something. I can't believe a team like the jets or the niners aren't at least bringing him in to kick the tires a little, maybe he can play special teams, what's the downside? Cut him in a week or two. I find it hard to believe there isn't more to his story than we know. Or is he really just that retarded that no one wants to touch him?
Yep, it speaks volumes that teams like the 49ers, Bears, Jets, who have glaring needs at WR haven't even bothered with a 24-year-old DGB.