General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Rico Gathers Fan Club

Postby skip » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:27 am

_yeti wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:00 am
WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:45 am
IR1 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:02 am Picked up one share. looking to garb another-team 4- have Hooper, would anyone drop Fleener or ASJ to make room for Rico?
I'd consider dropping ASJ for Rico. They're both just low-floor, high-ceiling lottery tickets at TE. It just depends on who you believe in more.
I'd actually personally drop Fleener for him, but I've been pretty vocally anti-Fleener for quite some time now.
Agreed. Fleener has no upside at all.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:44 pm

skip wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:27 am
_yeti wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:00 am
WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:45 am
I'd consider dropping ASJ for Rico. They're both just low-floor, high-ceiling lottery tickets at TE. It just depends on who you believe in more.
I'd actually personally drop Fleener for him, but I've been pretty vocally anti-Fleener for quite some time now.
Agreed. Fleener has no upside at all.
I know he's been pretty lackluster throughout his career, but based on projected volume and red-zone opportunities I think he could end up as a top 6 TE this year. It isn't likely, but the upside is definitely there.
The standard is the standard.

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:09 pm

fourthed.

fleener is awful.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:47 pm

Defender wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:44 pm
I know he's been pretty lackluster throughout his career, but based on projected volume and red-zone opportunities I think he could end up as a top 6 TE this year. It isn't likely, but the upside is definitely there.
But that's been the case for him every year of his career and it just hasn't happened. Of course he's probably the type of player that is going to blow up after you've waived him.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:46 am

Nobody has mentioned the concussion yet. Anyone intune with the Cowboys know if he's trending toward being cleared? Does this affect the hype train at all?
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:58 am

jcc6fd wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:46 am Nobody has mentioned the concussion yet. Anyone intune with the Cowboys know if he's trending toward being cleared? Does this affect the hype train at all?
I know he's in the concussion protocol and I haven't heard anything else. Like many other fans, I get alerts and stuff like that about Cowboys news and the only other thing that I read is that he wouldn't play on Saturday but that's pretty obvious. Plus, Witten hadn't suited up yet so Rico wouldn't have played quite as much anyway. With James Hanna just having knee surgery, it will be Witten just a little then the all-time great combo of Geoff Swaim and Connor Hamlett, lol. The only good thing is, I'm pretty certain this is Rico's first concussion since he hadn't played any football since the 8th grade and didn't play much last preseason and was on the practice squad, hopefully this isn't a recurring thing.

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:37 pm

Is it easier to track players who haven't had concussions at this point?
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:40 am

Here is a news blurb on Gathers from Oct. 6th:
(Rotoworld) Cowboys TE Rico Gathers (injured reserve) is still dealing with concussion symptoms. Analysis: Considering he suffered the concussion more than a month and a half ago, it is a major concern. Gathers was at the team facility on Thursday, however, so it looks like he is making progress. Gathers is eligible to return Week 9, but that looks like a long shot at this point.

At the time of the above news it had been 6 weeks since he suffered the concussion. Does anyone have hard data on the future of an NFL player versus the length of time spent in concussion protocol?

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:12 am

Not sure what the outlook is, but generally this long of a recovery time doesn't bode well. I'd sell Gathers for anything you can if someone still believes in him. He's starting to look like a Ladarius Green type of guy where the production is never going to match the hype.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:32 am

I get the feeling the Cowboys weren't in a rush for him to come back and this is a way to stash him since he was never going to make it to the practice squad.

I call shenanigans. I'm probably wrong though.

TheFnkTwnSnB
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby TheFnkTwnSnB » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:56 pm

I live local. The general consensus from some of these team insiders and media personalities that have been covering Dallas for 30 years is that this was just a move to keep from having to make a decision on Rico for as long as possible. They didn't need him on the 53, he's not a special teams contributor, but has too much value to be put on waivers with the hope that he clears so he can be sent to the practice squad. This is just gaming the IR to create a roster spot. In other words, shenanigans. But if Dallas keeps sliding and they don't need to use the IR-designated-to-return on anyone else, it could be Rico time this year after those concussion symptoms that have been plaguing him since preseason magically disappear overnight.
Team 1
12 Team Standard 1QB 2RB 3WR 1Flex K DST
Luck/Watson
Mixon/Anderson/Mack/Gillislee/Gallman/Ekeler
OBJ/Hopkins/Coop/Jordy/Marvin Jones/Coleman/Corey Davis/Mike Will/Gentry/Westbrook (IR)
Fleener/Howard/Smith/Derby/Gathers(IR)/Butt
2018 1st, 3rd
Team 2- "The Dumpster Fire", Orphan, 1st Year into Rebuild
12 Team Standard QB 2RB 2WR Flex K DST
Dak/Palmer/Garropolo
Gordon/Murray/Coleman/Henry/Lynch/Woodhead/Forte/McNichols/Jonathan Williams
Torrey/Anderson/Benjamin/Crowder/Fowler/Ginn/Lewis/Louis
Walker/Clay/Graham/Allen
All Picks

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:02 pm

I've never seen a guy so full of himself just for not getting cut. His twitter is cringy; he acts like he's already an imminent superstar and that he has all these egregious doubters, when in fact he's yet to play even one regular-season NFL snap and the Cowboys fanbase and local Dallas media has been enthusiastically all over his jock since the '16 preseason.

He hasn't tweeted since the two days before he was put on IR, in a long spiel congratulating himself.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:28 am

onetwothree wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:32 am I get the feeling the Cowboys weren't in a rush for him to come back and this is a way to stash him since he was never going to make it to the practice squad.

I call shenanigans. I'm probably wrong though.
I'm 90% sure that this is what the Cowboys are doing. The guy had never had a concussion, gets one in practice and all of the sudden, is put on short-term IR? I thought it looked fishy but a lot of teams do things like this, the Patriots are always doing these kind of "shenanigans". I follow a lot of the Cowboys beat writers and one of them just tweeted a couple of days ago that Rico has been cleared to work with the Cowboys trainers so it won't surprise me if he gets activated at some point soon.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:14 am

Gathers was working with strength-trainers on Thursday. I don't know if he was in pads on Friday, haven't found a report on what happened with him on Friday one way or another.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Oddball456 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:43 am

So, jason Witten will be back in 2018 with a restructured contract. Kinda bummed!

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/da ... 6kh7tlk663