Rico Gathers Fan Club

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Rico Gathers Fan Club

Postby pokerface40 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:24 am

I am nominating myself President of the Rico Gathers Fan Club. I have mentioned him a ton leading up to the preseason and backed it up by picking him up in all 3 of my dynasty leagues.

Yes be needs to work on his blocking and the finer points of being a consistent NFL player. Yes he is behind a first ballot HOFer for the immediate future. Yes he didn't play football in high school or college.

No, none of this matters. He is a freak that has put his nose to the grindstone. The Boys almost have no choice but to keep him on the 53 at this point. He has a bad bleep name to boot, and I think you should pick him up, although it may be too late. Mark it dude, top 10 TE in 2018.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Re: Rico Gathers Fan Club

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:27 am

pokerface40 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:24 am I am nominating myself President of the Rico Gathers Fan Club. I have mentioned him a ton leading up to the preseason and backed it up by picking him up in all 3 of my dynasty leagues.

Yes be needs to work on his blocking and the finer points of being a consistent NFL player. Yes he is behind a first ballot HOFer for the immediate future. Yes he didn't play football in high school or college.

No, none of this matters. He is a freak that has put his nose to the grindstone. The Boys almost have no choice but to keep him on the 53 at this point. He has a bad bleep name to boot, and I think you should pick him up, although it may be too late. Mark it dude, top 10 TE in 2018.

Yeah, it's hard not to be excited about Rico and he will definitely make the 53, we can't risk trying to slide him on the practice squad. It was a lot easier to do as a rookie coming straight from Baylor playing basketball but he's shown too much promise now. I don't think he'll play a lot because Witten is such a good blocker and doesn't come off the field much but I do think he has a good chance to take Gavin Escobar's(KC) role in some red zone situations. I'm just excited that they might have a future replacement for Witten, it would be nice to be able to transition to a potential stud and only have a 6th round pick invested in him!

MucBuc
Captain
Captain

Postby MucBuc » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:22 am

I'll join the Club. Picked him up for my 32-teamer rebuild when someone dropped him earlier this year, and there was some buzz around him. Didn't know much about him previously, but like what I've seen and read about him so far.

Maybe he's just another preseason darling. Maybe he's more, which would be nice since I missed out on this year's rookie TE class. The Cowboys stated that he will play a lot in preseason. I'm watching.
3x teams in 32-team standard PPR + IDP leagues

It doesn't matter what we want. Once we get it, we want something else.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:12 am

I actually have him from last year in my one league with deep rosters and 16 teams. With that said, i would bet against the top 10 TE for next year. Not that the position is one that is tough to ascend, I just dont think he will be quite there yet. I do like the bold prediction though.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:27 am

Got him super cheap in a startup, I'm talking lottery pick rounds. I'm pumped, just has to keep learning and practice hard, sky is the limit!

*Top 10 next year is not happening under any circumstance though. That's a little too much wishful thinking IMO
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:42 am

He's really good, but he's still a year away barring injury. I like Swoope as this year's breakout TE. Wouldn't be surprised if he finished 2nd in the pecking order behind TY.

pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerface40 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:44 am

_yeti wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:27 am Got him super cheap in a startup, I'm talking lottery pick rounds. I'm pumped, just has to keep learning and practice hard, sky is the limit!

*Top 10 next year is not happening under any circumstance though. That's a little too much wishful thinking IMO
Sure it's a bit bold but I don't see how you say it won't happen under any circumstance. What if Witten retires? Or gets hurt?

captain caveman
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby captain caveman » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:45 am

Funny this topic came up. I wavered him after watching that game. I really like what I saw.
12-team ppr qb super-flex/1qb, 2rb, 3wr, 1te, 2 flex

Brees/Dalton/Hoyer/Shimonek/Kessler
Hilton/Baldwin/Sanders/Garcon/Funchess/Gordon/Gallup
Gordon/Coleman/Crowell/Perine/Prosise/Ballage/Ekeler/Vereen/Artis-Payne/Marshall
Engram/Ebron/Wilson

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:09 am

pokerface40 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:44 am
_yeti wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:27 am Got him super cheap in a startup, I'm talking lottery pick rounds. I'm pumped, just has to keep learning and practice hard, sky is the limit!

Sure it's a bit bold but I don't see how you say it won't happen under any circumstance. What if Witten retires? Or gets hurt?
Swaim will run as the primary TE. Rico is a athletic project for now and has alot to learn. Think of an Engram/Njoku but less experience playing TE. Demarcus Ware was talking about last night during the game a little. Excited...certainly...but ready to be a lead TE on a team...not really close.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:11 am

Have him stashed in my 2TE league.

Here's hoping you are right.

pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerface40 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:00 pm

When I posted this in the wee hours of the morning I also put him on the trade block in two of my leagues to gauge interest (keeping him in my TE premium). Just snap-accepted this:

Give: Rico
Receive: 2018 2nd (looks to be early)

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:43 pm

.5 ppr league, but 1 point ppr for TEs. Team in sig.

Opposing team has Brate, Barnidge, Gathers, Walford, Jesse James (so TE needy imo).

Got rejected with no counter:
I give: Clay, Maxx
I get: Gathers

Thought it was a fair offer. Hype train left the building? Thoughts?

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:45 pm

pokerface40 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:00 pm When I posted this in the wee hours of the morning I also put him on the trade block in two of my leagues to gauge interest (keeping him in my TE premium). Just snap-accepted this:

Give: Rico
Receive: 2018 2nd (looks to be early)
The leader of the fan club has bailed! No, I think you definitely win this. He has a ton of potential but with a 2nd you can grab someone with much less bust risk

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:20 pm

I've been banging the drum for a while offline. Happy to sign up.

It is reasonable to attach significant value to whatever warm body is being Witten...if that player happens to actually be more talented than Escobar, that can only be gravy.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:58 pm

I picked him up in every league I was in because he has way too many positives to ignore. Witten retiring soon, offense that features the TE, young QB to grow with, and dripping with upside. I knew once the pre season games started he wouldn't be available long. This kid is about to blow up in 2018, he's looking very good to still be a year away from his big opportunity. I've been quiet about him all off season but now that I have him in every league I feel confident talking about how good I think he can be.

For a guy who hasn't really played football in years it's scary how fast he's picking it up and he looks incredibly well put together running and jumping at this size. The rebounding rebounding background comes alive.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)