Preseason Week 1 discussion!

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Knox Steel Curtain
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Preseason Week 1 discussion!

Postby Knox Steel Curtain » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:28 am

Don't invest or expect much from Hunt this year. Chiefs offense is not that great and line play is not what it was. I have a feeling Perine and Hunt have been over drafted. All three of top tight ends. I would take over these two if doing a draft today.

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:35 am

dmac37 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:30 am What do we make of the lack of offensive involvement for Kareem Hunt in the first pre-season game? Being a rookie that has been talked about getting first team reps, I settled in front of the TV expecting to see him getting a lot of work. He only ends up with 1 carry and 1 reception, this seems a little concerning considering the expectations for him.

I would love to think they are "saving" him for the regular season but it does not look like that.
Not surprised - I mean, he's still a rookie and wasn't that high a draft pick. Plus, the Chefs have rolled out all kinds of backs successfully, sometimes at the same time, in the post-Charles era.

So Hunt could take over at some point just as easily as he could be a committee back. It's really hard to tell right now.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:41 am

dmac37 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:30 am What do we make of the lack of offensive involvement for Kareem Hunt in the first pre-season game? Being a rookie that has been talked about getting first team reps, I settled in front of the TV expecting to see him getting a lot of work. He only ends up with 1 carry and 1 reception, this seems a little concerning considering the expectations for him.
Personally, I believe people are a bit rash to write off Spencer Ware.

But to be fair, the fact that Hunt DID NOT get a long stretch of touches in the second half vs fringe players likely to be cut in three weeks implies Hunt's already a valued quasi first-teamer with whom the KC coaching-staff doesn't feel the need to risk injury in these exhibitions. Especially in this first week preseason week, the coaches are most concerned with getting an extended look at guys they're on the fence about.

I have little doubt Hunt will get a long look in at least one of these games, but it may only be one.
Last edited by ninotoreS on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:43 am

I would love to think they are "saving" him for the regular season but it does not look like that.
It's possible they'll give him a role as the season goes on. But, I don't think it was ever realistic that they'd just make him the starter and give him 20+ carries.

dmac37
Role Player
Role Player

Postby dmac37 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:47 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:43 am

It's possible they'll give him a role as the season goes on. But, I don't think it was ever realistic that they'd just make him the starter and give him 20+ carries.
Did not expect them to just make him the starter, just seemed very odd as a 3rd round rookie to only get 2 offensive touches in the first preseason game....
12 Team PPR Scoring:
QB: Purdy, Pickett, Howell, Rodgers
RB: Bijan, Kamara, A. Jones Spears Allgeier, Tucker, Hunt
WR: ARSB, Ridley, Nacua, E. Moore, Hollywood, Addison, Mingo, Mooney,
M. Thomas, Gallup
TE: Hockenson, Ferguson
PK:
DST: Ravens

12 Team Superflex PPR Scoring:
QB: Fields, Tua, Howell, White
RB: J. Taylor, A. Jones, Pierce, Swift , K. Miller, Hunt, Ford,
WR: Pittman, Deebo, Godwin, Ridley, Gabe Davis, E. Moore, Mooney, Toney, Q. Johnson
TE: Ferguson, Okonkwo L. Thomas

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:00 am

Any thoughts on Mixon? Small sample size, but McCaffrey looked very fluid and solid in Car. I have the 1.03 pick in an upcoming draft and likely need to decide between Mixon and McCaffrey (if Fournette or Davis are available I'm taking them).

I'm still a little burned from the Gio Bernard early pick in '14 and it has turned me off to players under 6' who are barely pushing 200 lbs.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

jimmychoi
Starter
Starter

Postby jimmychoi » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:15 am

Shcritters wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:00 am Any thoughts on Mixon? Small sample size, but McCaffrey looked very fluid and solid in Car. I have the 1.03 pick in an upcoming draft and likely need to decide between Mixon and McCaffrey (if Fournette or Davis are available I'm taking them).

I'm still a little burned from the Gio Bernard early pick in '14 and it has turned me off to players under 6' who are barely pushing 200 lbs.
As a fellow Bernard owner, I can appreciate your situation.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:40 am

Shcritters wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:00 am I'm still a little burned from the Gio Bernard early pick in '14 and it has turned me off to players under 6' who are barely pushing 200 lbs.
Lots of RBs fitting the under '6' barely pushing 200lbs' parameter do much better with contact than Gio. McCoy coming out of Pitt was right at 200lbs, Charles has played at that weight his whole career, Freeman is 205ish, as was Ray Rice. Going back further than recent history, we get Hall of Famers like Barry Sanders, Thurman Thomas, and Walter Payton. And of course we got other scatbacks / space-backs like Sproles, Woodhead, and Jalen Richard that do better with contact than Gio, and mostly with them it just has to do with good pad-level. Actually, good pad-level is a consistent theme with all these guys.

Contact has just always been an issue with Gio. This was evident with him on his college film and the first couple of episodes of Hard Knocks his rookie year, when we saw him blown up in more than one scene when a tackler squared him up. Gio needed / needs better pad-level to compensate for his lack of power, and he's never quite developed it for the NFL level.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:19 am

Re: Hunt and pretty much every other rookie. It's the 1st game. Way too early to be stressing about roles. I don't understand the concern.

The guys you should worry about are the ones playing deep into the 3rd or 4th. Those are the ones the coaches need to see more from and/or just need to send out to have a legal lineup. No worries on the guys coming out with the 1st or 2nd teams even if it's just a handful of plays. Sometimes the plan is to give them a long series and it's ruined by a 3 and out. If the trend continues in the 2nd game then worry.

jimmychoi
Starter
Starter

Postby jimmychoi » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:22 pm

Kupp pretty involved thus far.

Meretc01
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Meretc01 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:23 pm

Rams offense/defense looks productive lol

Cooper kupp made a few nice plays
12Team 1QB 3 WR 2 RB 1 TE 2 Flex
QB: Tannehill, Wilson
RB: Swift, M. Carter, Etienne, Cohen, Mckissic, Dallas
WR: Jefferson, Pittman Jr.,T. Higgins, Reagor, Parker, Slayton, G.Davis, Cephus, A St.Brown, T. Marshall,
T. Johnson
TE: Schultz, Jonnu, Dissly, Sample
2022 Picks: 1st-2 3rd-1

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:25 pm

Thank goodness this is a preseason game for my Cowboys because the ball isn't bouncing their way early on. After stopping the Rams first team offense for a 3 and out, some rookie FA muffs the punt then after on 3rd down inside the 10 yard line, Hitchens nails Robert Woods causes a fumble but it's recovered for a TD in the endzone by Cooper Kupp. The good news, the defense looks good so far.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:30 pm

Dang it, I missed Kupp's reception. I am dying to see for myself how he looks against pro DBs.

Those who saw it: I see it was a 19 yard catch... was that yardage run-after-catch, or did he actually get behind the defense? What sort of route was it?
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:35 pm

I've watched every play. It was 2nd and 9 after the Cowboys muffed the punt, they got Goff rolling out and Kupp found a spot in the zone. It's literally the only play the Rams have made and it was a good play,the Cowboys have basically shut them down. Kupp just on the ball in the end zone after Woods got plastered by Hitchens. The Rams have recovered a muff punt and two of their own fumbles. Kind of a bad luck night for my Cowboys but our defense has looked pretty stout so far, especially with so many starters out.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:46 pm

The Rams just snapped the ball literally 10 yards over Sean Mannions head and they recovered that too, geez.