Are top rookies suffering more first year injuries?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
saw061600
Legend
Legend

Are top rookies suffering more first year injuries?

Postby saw061600 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:18 am

Just wondering if anyone has read any research. The past 3 years seem to have a lot of rookies, top picks on both sides of the ball, getting injured before or during camp. Worse, they seem to be missing more of year 1, or all of year 1, putting them further behind. If they are, how should that effect rookie drafts and the value of rookie picks?
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton
Hock F-muth
LWilliams Payne Reed Greenard
Bernard Kendricks Warner Baker Williams Tranquil
Budda McKinney Clark Wilson

1-2QB 2-4RB 3-5WR 1-3TE 11OFF/DEF
Herbert Stafford Brock Dobbs
Taylor Jacobs Mattison Kyren Jaleel Ford Bigsby
AJB Diggs Evans Kirk McLaurin Dionte Boyd Renfrow JuJu
Kelce Pitts Deguara
Hutchinson Rousseau Greenard Travon Demarcus
QWilliams EJones TBernard Dean ShaqT Kyzir
Amos Bates Peppers Murray Fitz Clark

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Are top rookies suffering more first year injuries?

Postby IBall2 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:22 am

This was briefly covered in a recent topic. Link below - But I would like to hear some more thoughts on this topic.

viewtopic.php?p=1290375#p1289881

In the link I posted, Valhalla had an interesting idea. He stated that he thought it was because of the pre-combine training routine that rookies are now going through that could be causing the issues. But nobody has brought forth any data to back up any potential reasons for the injuries.

schiewerma21
All Pro
All Pro

Postby schiewerma21 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:42 am

It does make me chuckle on the "wr over rb" groupthink because people have this notion that they are safer.
The 2014 class poisoned everyone and since we have had white perrimen Parker doctson Coleman big mike and john ross is still hurt in just first round high profile WRs alone.
Plus megavusts agholor dorsett and treadwell in round 1.

Rookies are a risk. I think just like after 2014 we all thought they were great now we are back to recognizing what a gamble they are
TEAM 1: 12 man PPR (.25 passing and rushing attempt) dynasty league
QB:Josh Allen, Matt Ryan, Zach Wilson
RB: Saquon Barkley, Jonathan Taylor, JK Dobbins, Najee Harris, Joe Mixon, Deandre Swift
WR: Tyreek Hill, Justin Jefferson, Deandre Hopkins, Chris Godwin, Jamaar Chase, Allen Robinson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Kyle Pitts, Hunter Henry

TEAM 2: 10 MAN Superflex. (standard PPR).
QB: Mahomes, Wilson, Stafford, Wentz, Jimmy G
RB: Mccaffrey, Zeke, Javonte, Akers, Jacobs, Edmonds, Henderson, Fournette, Pollard
WR: Adams, Michael Thomas, Keenan Allen, Aiyuk, Odell Beckham, Devonta Smith Julio,Shenault
TE: Travis Kelce, George Kittle

TEAM 3:10 MAN PPR (2 QUARTERBACK LEAGUE took over orphan 2016) Dynasty League
QB: Dak, Lamar, Tua, Winston, Bridgewater,
RB: Mccaffrey, Henry, Aaron Jones, Chubb, Mike Davis
WR: Aj Brown, Terry Mclaurin, Theilen, Godwin, Juedy, Sutton, Watkins, Davis, Crowder
TE: Waller, Engram, Geodtert
2021picks: 1.10,3.10

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:19 am

I have bought into a slowly brewing notion that ever since the current CBA was signed, we've been seeing the fallout of a rookie wage scale. The cascading effect of college players coming out as early as possible to start the clock on a four year non-negotiable term of employment is that they are too young to be ready as rookies. If there is any reason at all that a team can utilize an IR spot for these players (no salary cap ramifications AND the player doesn't have to clear waivers to be stashed on taxi squad).... you see where this idea is born.

I know that there are some very vocal fantasy football-minded people in the community that completely dismiss salary cap and roster manipulation in the NFL as reasons for redshirt seasons. You ask a fair question, and I am only passing along the sentiments of a few that I've read. Perhaps this is not as reported in the media because it is not widely understood and is being exploited by a minority of NFL franchises. Also, there are provisions for a team to toll a player's rookie contact for one extra year if certain conditions warrant it.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerface40 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:38 am

dlf_bruiser wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:19 am I have bought into a slowly brewing notion that ever since the current CBA was signed, we've been seeing the fallout of a rookie wage scale. The cascading effect of college players coming out as early as possible to start the clock on a four year non-negotiable term of employment is that they are too young to be ready as rookies. If there is any reason at all that a team can utilize an IR spot for these players (no salary cap ramifications AND the player doesn't have to clear waivers to be stashed on taxi squad).... you see where this idea is born.

I know that there are some very vocal fantasy football-minded people in the community that completely dismiss salary cap and roster manipulation in the NFL as reasons for redshirt seasons. You ask a fair question, and I am only passing along the sentiments of a few that I've read. Perhaps this is not as reported in the media because it is not widely understood and is being exploited by a minority of NFL franchises. Also, there are provisions for a team to toll a player's rookie contact for one extra year if certain conditions warrant it.
Very interesting take. It is crazy to think some of these guys are 21 years old and entering the NFL gauntlet. That said I think the recent onslaught of rookie injuries is an aberration. In fact I'm starting to think this rookie class might produce some studs from the git go. A lot of hype coming out of camps on several guys, most of whom I was high on. We are dynasty players so while fading rookie hype and capitalizing to flip for proven vets is a sound strategy, buying some of these guys may be cheaper than they will be a year from now. See: Fournette, Leonard.

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:36 pm

schiewerma21 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:42 am It does make me chuckle on the "wr over rb" groupthink because people have this notion that they are safer.
The 2014 class poisoned everyone and since we have had white perrimen Parker doctson Coleman big mike and john ross is still hurt in just first round high profile WRs alone.
Plus megavusts agholor dorsett and treadwell in round 1.

Rookies are a risk. I think just like after 2014 we all thought they were great now we are back to recognizing what a gamble they are
By the numbers, RBs are more likely to be replaced/get injured than WRs. WRs also have a longer career trajectory. However, I do agree that 2014 did make many owners believe that WRs were the unicorns and rainbows of fantasy land, slayers of the old guard during their rookie season. Truth is, top RB rookies are more likely to have an immediate impact than top WR rookies. But it's dynasty so WRs are still the better long-term play.
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton
Hock F-muth
LWilliams Payne Reed Greenard
Bernard Kendricks Warner Baker Williams Tranquil
Budda McKinney Clark Wilson

1-2QB 2-4RB 3-5WR 1-3TE 11OFF/DEF
Herbert Stafford Brock Dobbs
Taylor Jacobs Mattison Kyren Jaleel Ford Bigsby
AJB Diggs Evans Kirk McLaurin Dionte Boyd Renfrow JuJu
Kelce Pitts Deguara
Hutchinson Rousseau Greenard Travon Demarcus
QWilliams EJones TBernard Dean ShaqT Kyzir
Amos Bates Peppers Murray Fitz Clark

HawkeyeState
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby HawkeyeState » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:47 pm

I absolutely think part of the issue is the rigorous pre-combine training and all that goes into that process, is partly contributing to more rookies being injured once they are in the NFL.

The top rookies are very typically on talented teams that play deep into the season, either in bowl games, or potentially all the way to the National Championship which this past year was on January 9th.
The Reese's Senior Bowl game was on January 27th, and that doesn't take into account practices and meetings etc that goes into that week.

Regardless of when your season ends, as a top player in the draft class, you are thrown right into rigorous training to prepare your body and mind to be in tip top shape to impress NFL scouts and executives.
The combine is literally a battle of attrition and who can get the most out of the little sleep they get.
Even after the combine, they have private workouts and meetings AND pro days with NFL teams where they don't want to appear in any way out of shape compared to their combine.

Then they have a short turn around to the NFL Draft which is a stressful event, and rookie minicamp starts not long after, short layoff again, where they need to be staying in shape and up to NFL level conditioning and strength, and then its time for training camp.

Long story short, from the time their last college season training camp starts, until after their first NFL season is over, they don't truly have a time to just rest.

Add in the CBA restrictions and pressures in today's world to earn money for your family and potentially go into the NFL before your ready, and you have a recipe for disaster quite honestly.
Team 1
10 TM .5 PPR, 6 pt all TDs 1/2/3/1/2Flex
Newton, Rivers
LF, Chubb, Michel, Kerryon, Hyde, AJones, Royce F, Crowell
Adams, Cooper, Alshon, Watkins, ARob, Fuller, Doctson, Funchess, Gallup, Pettis, Valdez-Scant
Gronk, HHenry, Engram
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 2
10 TM 1/2/3/1/1Flex 6pt all TDs .25 PPR RB, .5 PPR WR, 1 PPR TE
Wilson, Big Ben
Bell, JConner, MMack, Shady, CThompson, D'Onta Foreman, C Edmonds, B Scarborough
Julio, Nuk, Fuller, Cooks, ARob, Watkins, Cooper, SShepard, CDavis, DJ Chark
Kelce, Olsen, Andrews
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 3
10 team, 0.5 PPR RBs WRs, 1 PPR TEs, Devy Superflex League
Carr, Goff, Falk
Barkley, Dalvin, Mixon, Michel, Ballage, MDavis, Dixon, Akers*
Hopkins, JuJu, Watkins, Fuller, Agholor, Moncrief, EQSB, Valdez-Scant, CRogers
Eifert, Ebron, JJames, JCook
1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 3.04

Played against David Johnson in HS, he was a stud back then too