The dreaded unretirement conversation of Marshawn Lynch

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ThePops
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

The dreaded unretirement conversation of Marshawn Lynch

Postby ThePops » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:30 am

Hey gang. Great site! I was hoping for your feedback and opinion. I am in a 10 team dynasty, its been a really cool league. 25 man roster, no alternate roster spots. Straight up add/drop. Well the question came up of what do we do as a league with the Marshawn Lynch situation. The team that owned him prior to retirement requested to the league that he should be able to retain him now that he is back as a current player, much like the Seattle Seahawks retained his rights and had to release him. Even though he wasnt rostered on the 53 man Seattle roster, they still had ownership rights to his playing status. As mentioned we do not retain alternate spots for suspensions, IR, retirements etc so for a league of 10 I kind of think its silly to say we should keep retired people on roster in the case of a come back since it happens literally once every 10-15 years, but I guess thats is a debate topic too. Another fly in the ointment is the site we use I believe deleted him from the player pool at the end of 2015 at least until late last year when the rumor mill became abuzz of his return, but i am not positive of that and dont think Id be able to find out. I am very much in favor of allowing the manager to retain his rights and not have him enter the free agent pool before our rookie draft. I commish other leagues too so I definitely want to make sure I communicate as much as possible to be fair to everyone.

Am I being fair to believe that we should treat it the same way as the nfl and let the previous owner retain his right, and at least allow him to make the decision if he wants to keep/release/trade him?
Thanks again.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: The dreaded unretirement conversation of Marshawn Lynch

Postby skip » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:32 am

This exact question has already been discussed here. The owner does not retain rights. Simple as that.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:56 am

He should be added back into the free agent/rookie pool for anybody to pick up. Comparing his contractual situation with the Seahawks to our fantasy football world is apples to oranges.

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:00 am

The only way you keep the rights to a player is if you roster said player. Either add him to the FA pool or to the players eligible to be drafted in your rookie draft.
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby IR1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:13 am

Don't see any option other than FA. Guess prior owner could argue that he would have kept him if he had been able to.
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

Weeman
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Weeman » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:37 am

If you want to own Justin Blackmon tell the commish & leave a spot open. Lynch was available to be owned. This owner dropped him & that was when his ownership of Lynch ended. You can't allow him to have josh gordon, cjohnson, ect & exceed the roster limits. That wouldn't be fair to the rest of the league. Put him in the draft & let the owner cry about it.

You allow him to retain rights. Then ooh I wouldnt have dropped DGB but now that he's here ect will happen. It sucks for him but we all drop players of value & this is part of the game.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:55 am

Unless you are on some really crappy website like ESPN that erases league history every year, you should be able to go back and see if this owner dropped Lynch. If he was dropped he should be a free agent. If he simply disappeared then it isn't the owner's fault. You could make the case that he should have protested or kept an empty roster spot but that's asking a lot if there's no specific rule in your league for this.

If he was dropped he was dropped, your league has no provision for inactive players not counting on the roster so that should include retirees.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:58 am

If not in the bylaws then absolutely not. You own the players on your roster. Plain and simple.

RB6
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby RB6 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:29 am

Owner does not have rights to Lynch if he dropped him. Lynch goes back to the FA pool/rookie draft.
.5PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
LJax, Burrow, Carr, Huntley, Heinicke, Cunningham
Adams, Kupp, Deebo, M Brown, Kirk, Wiliams, C Samuel, Palmer, E. Moore, Hodgins, Hutchinson
CMC, Barkley, Mostert, Ford, Moss, Dobbins, Dillon, Kelley, Tucker
Andrews, Higbee

PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
Mahomes, Purdy, Dalton, Henicke, Trask, Zappe
Henry, Pacheco, Robinson, Wilson, Ford, Chandler, Deuce
Hill, Kupp, Shaheed, Toney, Lazard, Metchie, Mingo, Slayton, Shenault, Atwell, Hutchinson
Pitts, Waller, Washington

PPR Best Ball Dynasty SF .5TEP
Stroud, Cousins, Willis, Mariota, Cunningham
Walker, J Cook, Miller, Zamir, Rodriguez, Carter, Penny
St. Brown, Aiyuk, DJ Moore, London, Doubs, Metchie, Scott, Claypool
Kincaid, Dulcich, Fant, Turner, Hurst

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:50 am

In the league I commission we agreed that if a player retires you keep his rights (which I personally prefer), just so that guys that own players like Brett favre dont get screwed. But if it isnt pre discussed I think he should go back to FA. Plus my league has 4 reserve slots
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

DDT
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DDT » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:30 pm

You may find it silly to roster retired guys but Lynch was, in fact, rostered in a lot of my leagues before he returned. And Calvin Johnson is currently rostered in a lot of leagues right now. If you're willing to burn a spot holding onto the guy, you get rewarded when he returns. If you drop him to take a flyer on someone else, you get in line with everyone else. It's the only reasonable result.

Just to illustrate why. Let's say that he dropped Lynch and picked up someone like Tyrell Williams or Terrell Pryor. What do you do then?
Does he get Lynch but can drop anyone?
Does he get Lynch but has to drop the guy he picked up (i.e. Tyrell or Terrell)?
And if it's the second, is he forced to take back Lynch and return the guy that he picked up? In other words, even if he prefers Tyrell or Terrell, is he required to take back Lynch?

You get into too much of a grey area on issues like this so it's best to require people to honor their prior decisions.

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:20 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:58 am If not in the bylaws then absolutely not. You own the players on your roster. Plain and simple.
Exactly
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

Novacane
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Novacane » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:12 pm

This is not even a close call IMO. Lynch is treated like any other free agent.
Team 1

12 Team .2 PPR (1 PPR after 5 rec), salary cap.

1QB, 1-3 RB, 2-4 WR, 1-3 TE.

QB: Eli, Wentz, Romo
RB: DJ, Freeman, Hyde, Coleman, Mathews
WR: OBJ, ARob, Watkins, Moncrief, White, Gordon, Hogan, Woods
TE: Gronk, Ebron

2017 Picks: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2

12 team .2 PPR (full point after 5 receptions), salary cap. 1QB, 0-3RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE.

QB: Wilson,
RB: Drake, Marshall
WR: OBJ, Alshon, TY Hilton, Jordy Nelson, Benjamin, Parker, Doctson, John Brown, Shepard
TE: Eifert, Ebron,

2017 Picks: 1.06, 1.10, 2.06, 3.01, 3.10

Team 3 (3rd Year Orphan)

12 team .2 PPR (full point after 5 receptions), salary cap. 1QB, 1-3 RB, 2-4 WR, 1-3 TE.

QB: Brees, Kaep
RB: DJ, Forte, Dion Lewis, White, Drake, Ellington
WR: OBJ, Matthews, John Brown, Fuller, Parker, White, Lockett, Treadwell, Hogan, Sharpe
TE: Brate, Ladarius, Kendricks

2017 Picks: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

DrNoish
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DrNoish » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:07 pm

Yep, unless it's a contract league with guidelines or regular dynasty with guidelines about this I'd say back into FA. If he wants him he can trade up for him or overdraft like many others.
12 Team PPR 1QB - 1RB - 1WR - 2RB/WR - 1TE

KUPP the Balls
QB- Herbert, Hurts, Newton
RB- Montgomery, RoJo, Lindsay, Michel, Gurley, Vaughn, Foreman
WR- Lamb, Hopkins, Beckham, Metcalf, Cooks
TE- Kelce, Ertz
Picks 1.11, 2.04, 2022 1st