Goodbye Buffalo! Hello Los Angeles - Cardale Jones traded

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Goodbye Buffalo! Hello Los Angeles - Cardale Jones traded

Postby ArrylT » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:35 pm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... rs-for-dra

I think this is, at first glance, good all around. Good for Tyrod Taylor owners, good for Nathan Peterman owners, good for Cardale Jones owners, good for Buffalo & good for LA.

And good for Cardale Jones himself since one of his biggest supporters is now the Chargers head coach.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Goodbye Buffalo! Hello Los Angeles - Cardale Jones traded

Postby IBall2 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:38 am

I still think he has a huge hill to climb. Teams trading players on their rookie contracts usually isn't a good thing. I do see this as a better situation but it only moves the needle from 2% chance of being a starter some day, up to 5% chance of being a starter some day.

Pix
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Pix » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:43 am

I don't think this helps Jones' fantasy value. At least in Buffalo I could dream of him climbing to the top of the depth chart in 1 or 2 years. As desperate as my superflex QB situation is, I can't see me holding him for 3 years in the hope that a) Rivers retires at 38 and b) the Chargers don't draft a better prospect.

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:47 am

Agree with the above posters. I still don't plan to pick him up in my superflex league.
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:24 am

ArrylT wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:35 pm http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... rs-for-dra

I think this is, at first glance, good all around. Good for Tyrod Taylor owners, good for Nathan Peterman owners, good for Cardale Jones owners, good for Buffalo & good for LA.

And good for Cardale Jones himself since one of his biggest supporters is now the Chargers head coach.
I own all three on this roster and I agree with you. For those saying it is bad for Cardale, I think that is because you had wishful thinking of what he could still be in Buffalo. The window for him to impress, not fully develop, but just impress had closed. He didn't show well at any time there and his value was already in the basement and he wasn't getting practice reps. At least we can now pencil in Peterman as the definite backup to own for the time being and hope that the change of scenery ignites something in the big fella to show something more than he has so far.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:30 am

This is big news if you have a stake in the roster status of 3rd string QBs.

Kidding aside, I don't think this is relevant to Tyrod. Tyrod is a good quarterback and Jones was never a legitimate threat to unseat him. The only way Tyrod doesn't start is if the BUF front office decides to tank, in which case Jones wasn't going to get the call anyway. Jones will be lucky to one day earn an NFL backup job.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:42 am

jcc6fd wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:30 am This is big news if you have a stake in the roster status of 3rd string QBs.

Kidding aside, I don't think this is relevant to Tyrod. Tyrod is a good quarterback and Jones was never a legitimate threat to unseat him. The only way Tyrod doesn't start is if the BUF front office decides to tank, in which case Jones wasn't going to get the call anyway. Jones will be lucky to one day earn an NFL backup job.
Easy to say with such certainty after a player disappoints. I find this similar to the DGB hindsight. Cardale was always a high risk high upside pick (who was a multi-year project from the start) would likely not pan out. They spent a 4th on him and to say he was NEVER a threat isn't correct. If he started lighting it up it would be, "well he always had a huge arm and size and mobility, he just needed to put it together and focus on the game." Tyrod was/is someone the organization has waffled on and he isn't the youngest, he runs and is an injury risk, and they aren't sure whether to commit to him as a franchise qb, especially at his age. That is still true.

With Karlos Williams, if he hadn't panned out his rookie year, how easy is it to say, "it was obvious he could never make it in the NFL." But he did deliver on his talents that led him to be drafted even with red flags, then the red flags ate his career up off the field. Point being, these mid to late round gambles teams take, you could point to every single one that doesn't pan out and say, "of course he never had what it takes," but I think that is a lazy and dishonest way of looking back with the certainty of hindsight.

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:49 am

_yeti wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:42 am Easy to say with such certainty after a player disappoints.
Exactly. Wasn't trying to conjure a revelation about a player mired is speculation. He was a reach when he was drafted and was always considered a project even by his supporters. He didn't play well and got traded while under his rookie contract. The most likely statistical outcome is irrelevance. I thought about not posting in the first place but thought it might be useful to add support to the reality that he won't be worth monitoring. If I'm wrong, crucify me, but I'll sleep easy on this one.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:23 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:49 am
_yeti wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:42 am Easy to say with such certainty after a player disappoints.
Exactly. Wasn't trying to conjure a revelation about a player mired is speculation. He was a reach when he was drafted and was always considered a project even by his supporters. He didn't play well and got traded while under his rookie contract. The most likely statistical outcome is irrelevance. I thought about not posting in the first place but thought it might be useful to add support to the reality that he won't be worth monitoring. If I'm wrong, crucify me, but I'll sleep easy on this one.
Got you. Yeah, I don't disagree. Sorry for jumping down your throat, the hindsight certainty in fantasy is just a pet peeve of mine though I don't think that was really your intention.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:53 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:49 am
Having a change of offense after one year is never a good thing for a project QB. At least he may retain some continuity by following Lynn over to San Diego.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:20 pm

I like the move for the Chargers. Cardale probably won't amount to anything, but getting a prospect with upside to sit behind your mid 30s starter for a 7th seems like a good risk to take.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

Krang
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krang » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:54 pm

Jones is a prime example of why people have to temper their expectations with flash in the pan type talents. This guy had a couple of decent games in relief duty on a team that had soooo much talent (Ohio State) that is was practically impossible for him to not do well. He comes in and "leads" them to a couple of big wins and all of a sudden people were talking about him as the top pick and a Heisman candidate. Maybe, though, there was a reason he was the 3rd string QB, so I don't really think there is much to see here. No one who is a top flight starter chooses to be the 3rd string QB at Ohio State, regardless of their prosperous tradition. I just don't think he was ever that good, so I wouldn't personally want to spend a roster spot on him even with the change of venue.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:55 am

jtd1387 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:20 pm I like the move for the Chargers. Cardale probably won't amount to anything, but getting a prospect with upside to sit behind your mid 30s starter for a 7th seems like a good risk to take.
agree with this , Most interesting to me is just what the perception of jones would have been if he came out after winning the national title and likely would have gone much higher in the draft .
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:02 am

I took him in the 22nd round of a Superflex startup with a tax squad. In almost any other format he already belonged on waivers, and this doesn't really move the needle for me. He was an upside longshot before, he's an upside longshot now.