Training Camp Superstars

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Re: Training Camp Superstars

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:47 pm

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:32 pm @motherlod: appreciate the news on Coleman, as he's always been an intriguing prospect. That said, we've heard all this before, and he's definitely the WR4 behind Thomas, Snead, and Ginn right now. I wouldn't be adding Coleman except in very deep formats.
This was my thought too. Coleman again? lol. Some guys don't break out until year 4, so you never know, but I am not rushing out to get him.

By the same token, after I posted about Henderson I thought about how there is a rookie RB on the Broncos with buzz. Every. Single. Year.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:21 pm

Speaking of Coleman, You guys remember DeAndre Smelter, 2016 offseason hype-magnet?
49ers' DeAndre Smelter: Strong start to camp
49ers STILL don't have much at WR, so he is probably worth watching.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:39 am

I've mostly only been checking up on the dudes that I already have on my watch-list, but here are some of the guys I've read multiple reports stating they're having an eye-popping off-season / beginning of TC:

- Eli Rogers
- Erik Swoope
- Tim Hightower
- Zay Jones
- Donte Moncrief
- Michael Thomas (rich getting richer)

Thomas is 100% owned, of course, but I still feel like he's worth mentioning here just because of how effusive the reports I've read were; sounds like an All-Pro season could be arriving for him as soon as year two. If you don't own him and you're thinking of buying, you may need to act now before he becomes super blue-chip. Moncrief is nearly 100% owned, but considering this season will probably make or break his long-term dynasty value I think it's worth noting he's been heavily lauded in mini-camp and start of TC; hearing descriptions like "best player on the field" when Hilton's been sidelined. Zay too I know is hardly under the radar, but I figure not all leagues have drafted their rooks yet and it's worth noting he's reportedly sprinting away from the rest of the depth-chart below Watkins.

The other guys:

- Ben and the coaches have been singing Eli Rogers' praises (again), and reportedly he's been a man possessed in voluntary workouts all offseason. Then Rogers himself tweeted this: https://twitter.com/__bELIeve17/status/ ... 3018537984; jeez, that's some confidence from an undrafted player. There's suddenly a lot of this sort of tone on his twitter feed this offseason, and it jumps out at me because he was much quieter last year. Presently Rogers is sharing first-team snaps with JJSS in a heated position battle. I don't know how much we can plausibly expect of him in fantasy even if he does hold down the first-team slot job, but I will say that I was constantly reminded of Wes Welker when I studied his '16 tape this off-season. It was kind of eerie, actually.

- Don't sleep on Hightower successfully beating back Williams/Breida/Bipps to secure #2 on the chart. Reportedly he's been the best pass-catcher in their backfield by a wide margin, and historically that's been very important to Shany when it comes to RBs. Breida has been subdued since the pads came on, Williams is reportedly struggling, and I haven't dug up anything at all on how Bipps has been doing (good or bad).

- Tracking reports and snippets and sound bites out of Indy (I'm already invested in a few players there), I keep hearing mentions of Swoope. Persistently. Reportedly he's added weight and is still making eye-popping plays. It's been enough for me to elevate him from someone I casually dismissed to possibly my favorite deep sleeper at TE this year. I'm not throwing shade on Doyle, I think he proved last year he's a good pro football player, but I'm starting to get A Feeling about Erik Swoope.
jtd1387 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:21 pm Speaking of Coleman, You guys remember DeAndre Smelter, 2016 offseason hype-magnet?
49ers' DeAndre Smelter: Strong start to camp
49ers STILL don't have much at WR, so he is probably worth watching.
I didn't even know the Niners added Smelter back to their roster late last season until a month ago. He's actually caught an NFL pass now. Before Week 17 last year, he didn't even have so much as preseason snaps for me to look at. Still doesn't, of course. Gah.
Jjipp wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:46 pm I feel like each fall I try to scour the beat reports and Twitter pages of teams to try to identify players who are doing great things in training camp. Many of them don't necessarily pan out, but last year Tyreek Hill, Rob Kelley, and Jalen Richard all were very obviously doing great things in training camp, and those who were following had a leg up on scooping them up off of waivers.
I can honestly say this forum is the one and only reason I have had Jalen Richard rostered since preseason last year.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:39 am

_yeti wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:01 am Little tidbit of news on one of my favorite sleepers Amara Darboh:

"(USA Today Fantasy Sports) Seattle Seahawks WR Amara Darboh has been performed well during the first two practices, and QB Russell Wilson said he believes Darboh has a chance to be a special player."
We are the only two in this world that call Darboh one of our favorite sleepers. Glad to see I'm not alone :D
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:13 am

dlf_bruiser wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:39 am
_yeti wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:01 am Little tidbit of news on one of my favorite sleepers Amara Darboh:

"(USA Today Fantasy Sports) Seattle Seahawks WR Amara Darboh has been performed well during the first two practices, and QB Russell Wilson said he believes Darboh has a chance to be a special player."
We are the only two in this world that call Darboh one of our favorite sleepers. Glad to see I'm not alone :D
I'm pretty high on him as well. He has the physicality to take over Kearse's role and the talent to actually do something with it.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

drbuttermaker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby drbuttermaker » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:37 am

ericanadian wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:13 am
dlf_bruiser wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:39 am

I'm pretty high on him as well. He has the physicality to take over Kearse's role and the talent to actually do something with it.
He certainly has the most interesting back story of any rookie. I am pulling for him.

Knox Steel Curtain
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Knox Steel Curtain » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:01 pm

Great reports on Robbie Anderson bulking up and taking over as a starter. Add in fact that Enunwa apparently injured in practice tonight, and at least appears to be hobbled again. No one talks about Anderson and not sure why. He was very good in limited work last year as a rookie. He spent offseason working with Brandon Marshall and Chad Johnson who are really big on this kids ability.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:17 am

for dirt cheap or free , I think malachi dupre is a great stash , always hysterically overrated on this site but with rodgers as his qb all it takes is opportunity and him catching a few throws that come his way when 12 gives him a chance and his value could soar.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

ImaRounder
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ImaRounder » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:08 am

Brice Butler.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:44 am

Knox Steel Curtain wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:01 pm Great reports on Robbie Anderson bulking up and taking over as a starter. Add in fact that Enunwa apparently injured in practice tonight, and at least appears to be hobbled again. No one talks about Anderson and not sure why. He was very good in limited work last year as a rookie. He spent offseason working with Brandon Marshall and Chad Johnson who are really big on this kids ability.
185lbs at 6'3" is still waaaaaay too scrawny. By NFL standards, ofc. And he's still trying to actually reach that weight.
He was very good in limited work last year as a rookie.
'Very good' is an overstatement.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Knox Steel Curtain
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Knox Steel Curtain » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:30 pm

He put up good numbers for snaps he had after the injuries. At this point he is the better value with less risk than Enunwa and is just as capable and a younger player than Enunwa. Enunwa has been vastly overrated in dynasty this year. He was ok but people talk like he is a top 25 receiver. No thanks on a receiver with neck issues. Anderson will be the better player this year and can be had in the round 20 and later rounds.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:51 am

My bottom-line original point: a 6'3" guy reaching 180lbs qualifies as neither 'bulking up' nor 'great'... he needs 20 more pounds, at least. And Anderson didn't do anything special last year; he made a few long receptions in a few games as the designated go-route runner in 4-wide sets.

Now replying to your tangent:

I don't think much of Enunwa, either. That doesn't make Anderson any better in a vacuum. The probable reality is that neither of these players will matter much in '18-'19, and if McCown has his annual injury they won't matter in '17, either. Fear Hackenberg making starts. Fear it.
Anderson... can be had in the round 20 and later rounds.
No argument there. Anderson's fine as a very-end-of-bench player on your roster.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

motherlode
Role Player
Role Player

Postby motherlode » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:29 am

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:32 pm @motherlod: appreciate the news on Coleman, as he's always been an intriguing prospect. That said, we've heard all this before, and he's definitely the WR4 behind Thomas, Snead, and Ginn right now. I wouldn't be adding Coleman except in very deep formats.

No but fo reelz tho......Im not adding him in any format, mostly because he is already rostered in all my deep leagues, and i dont have anyone worse to cut in my shallower leagues. Im not a Saints fan, and am not Brandon Coleman, his dad, or his agent. I just happened to stumble across a glowing report on Coleman around the time this thread was started.

Here is some Devils Advocacy:

Is he DEFINITELY the WR4?

Obviously Thomas is the lead dog here. But Ted Ginn is 450 years old, and was a disaster in SF, and a dumpster fire in Arizona. Its no guarantee he fits into the Saints offense seamlessly. And Willie Snead is a nice player who has been a productive third WR in the Saint offense the last two years. But is he really the kind of talent whose target share is completely safe? As i write this he has missed the last 3 Saints practices due to some undisclosed injury. Its probably minor, but who knows. Those things can linger. Why not pick up a big fast 25 year old WR who is by several accounts having a fantastic training camp, and who plays in one of the most prolific passing offenses in the league, an offense that is looking to divvy up the 120-ish targets left behind by Brandin Cooks? Im not saying depend on him being in your startng lineup, or trading away prime assets to acquire him. Just that he is a nice speculative add, if you have some roster space.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:06 am

Ted Ginn is the same age as Jordy Nelson - ergo Nelson must also be 450 years old. ;)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

motherlode
Role Player
Role Player

Postby motherlode » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:20 am

ArrylT wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:06 am Ted Ginn is the same age as Jordy Nelson - ergo Nelson must also be 450 years old. ;)

1) Ted Ginn has caught 50+ passes twice, once in 2008 and last year, and never surpassed 800 yards receiving.. When Ginn starts his age related dropoff, it will take about 13 seconds, and the dropoff will measure the height of a roadside curb.

2) Jordy Nelson has nearly equaled Ted Ginn's 10 year career in receptions and yards, and doubled Ginn's career TDs in the last three seasons. His age related drop off will not ever arrive, because....

3) When Aaron Rodgers throws a football, some of his sweat from his hands is transferred to the ball, which in turn gets transferred to the Packers pass catchers hands, which in turn keeps them from aging. Jordy Nelson is actually Donald Driver in disguise.

4) If anything, catching passes from Cam Newton has aged Ted Ginn prematurely. Ginn is easily psychologically in his mid 50's.