Salary Cap Leagues-Yay or Nay?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

Salary Cap League

I have never participated in a salary cap league w/contracts, have no interest.
13%
I have never participated in a salary cap league w/contracts, but interested in trying.
29%
I have participated in a salary cap league w/contracts, never again.
5%
I have participated in a salary cap league w/contracts, the pros and cons make it neither better nor worse than non salary cap.
21%
I have participated in a salary cap league w/contracts, it is truly the only way to play.
32%

Total votes: 56

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Salary Cap Leagues-Yay or Nay?

Postby Tsunami » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:54 am

I love it but I'm the kind of person who makes a spreadsheet for all my leagues. If you are the type of player who just wings it or picks players by feel then it might not be for you. In a salary cap league it might make sense to cut your best player if their contract is too high. It might even make sense to give away a draft pick and your best player and get nothing in return.

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:25 pm

skip wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:39 pmI found that salaries and cap limits severely hamper trading
I think this is an important point that we should talk about.

Skip isn't wrong; it does impact trading. It can severely hamper trading if you approach trading the way you do in pure dynasty league.

In most (not all) formats, your unspent salary cap budget when the season starts, whatever you haven't spent on player contracts, is what you have left to pursue in season acquisitions (free agents, waiver claims, trades, etc.). This means that, usually, your cap space is shrinking as the season goes on. Which means your flexibility shrinks as the season goes on. This has a few important effects:

-trading becomes far more strategic and far less tactical
-you aren't going to see the volume "grab this backup RB for a playoff push" type volume trades you see in plain dynasty, which means you aren't going to see the 2/3 way through the season slow jockeying for advantage via volume trading that you see in pure dynasty.
-bigger trades still happen frequently, but they happen early. Because (in most formats) the contracts move with the players, most teams are less and less able to accommodate big players on big contracts as the season goes on.
-teams have to be far more proactive about team assessment in the offseason. Being stuck in no man's land 6th out of 12 is bad enough in regular dynasty--but you can probably still salvage that in either the rebuilding or playoff bubble directions near week 8 in dynasty. In a salary cap and contract league, that maybe too late to move aggressively.

None of that is all that intuitive. It takes some time to pick up. If there are a bunch of people new to the format that don't recognize the significance of their team's first full pre-season/off-season (after season 1, before season 2) then the whole league can feel cramped for space to move things around until next season, when hopefully people are catching on.

So (subjectively, without data to back it up) i feel there is still plenty of trading once people catch on to the effects of the format. However, it can be very different from trading in pure dynasty.

As mentioned above, sometimes the most valuable part of a trade is getting nothing back in return.

Sometimes acquiring the 1.01 is something you literally cannot afford to do!
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:04 pm

Defender wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:13 am Never played in a contract/SC league, but my concern would be rookie contract length. I worry about stud RBs on long rookie deals. On the other hand, if the rookie contract have a max of 3 years, I would completely devalue TEs in a draft, push down QBs a lot, and WRs would even take a hit. Maybe my fears are unfounded, but this is just something I have oft wondered about.

How do your leagues handle rookie contracts?
Good questions. For us rookie salaries are defined by what NFL round they are drafted in. The drafting owner has the right to sign to whatever length contract they want, but the contracts increase 20% YoY. Additionally, there is a cap penalty of 20% of a players salary for as long as you had originally signed them. To avoid young players from being too overpowered we have a holdout clause that if a player makes less than 1/3 of the average of the top 10 salaries then they hold out (and rookie salaries are never high enough where they wont hold out). At that point you have the option to sign them to a contract as long as you want, but starting at the average of the top 10 salaries. It makes rookies really valuable for a couple years, but then you really have to give them up. For example, in our league Zeke is gold this and next year because he will be 1/5 of what he will cost once he holds out. But once he does he will not be a 'value' anymore. He'll still be valuable because he is a top player, but you have to pay much closer to market value for him.

Hope that helps. Not perfect, but keeps teams from getting too OP.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:56 am

BTW, in my salary cap league, we cap contracts at 4 years and allow each franchise to tag a certain number of players for up to 2 years with a certain salary adjustment. I won't go into the specifics, because its complicated, but it means that someone can hold onto a player for up to 6 years.

That is too long.

As someone else mentioned, 3 year contracts seem to hit the sweet spot. I would also caution against allowing too many tags and other mechanisms to keep players longer.

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:33 am

Shcritters wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:04 pm
Defender wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:13 am Never played in a contract/SC league, but my concern would be rookie contract length. I worry about stud RBs on long rookie deals. On the other hand, if the rookie contract have a max of 3 years, I would completely devalue TEs in a draft, push down QBs a lot, and WRs would even take a hit. Maybe my fears are unfounded, but this is just something I have oft wondered about.

How do your leagues handle rookie contracts?
Good questions. For us rookie salaries are defined by what NFL round they are drafted in. The drafting owner has the right to sign to whatever length contract they want, but the contracts increase 20% YoY. Additionally, there is a cap penalty of 20% of a players salary for as long as you had originally signed them. To avoid young players from being too overpowered we have a holdout clause that if a player makes less than 1/3 of the average of the top 10 salaries then they hold out (and rookie salaries are never high enough where they wont hold out). At that point you have the option to sign them to a contract as long as you want, but starting at the average of the top 10 salaries. It makes rookies really valuable for a couple years, but then you really have to give them up. For example, in our league Zeke is gold this and next year because he will be 1/5 of what he will cost once he holds out. But once he does he will not be a 'value' anymore. He'll still be valuable because he is a top player, but you have to pay much closer to market value for him.

Hope that helps. Not perfect, but keeps teams from getting too OP.
Is that additional 20% the cap hit for cutting him, or is it some sort of signing bonus?
The standard is the standard.

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:14 am

The selection I wanted to make was not available. I have never participated in a salary league with contracts, but after 11 years in a league with no contracts & no salary cap, I think you pretty much need to have contracts and salary caps to get the most competitive league. Or at least one with a bit more turnover in the rankings.
12-team Non-PPR QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, K, DEF
QB: Herbert, Tanny
RB: Chubb, Stevenson, AJ Dillion
WR: AJ Brown, M Evans, M Williams, D London, C Olave, Jameson Williams, M Thomas
TE: D Njoku
K: Butker

2023: 1.01, 2.01
2024 early first, late first

mratlanta
Role Player
Role Player

Postby mratlanta » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:02 am

I'm in my 2nd year in a contract league (no salary caps) and I'm enjoying it. I don't know if I would like messing with salaries but I do like the additional strategy layer that contracts bring.
12-team Non-PPR QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, K, DEF
QB: Mahomes, Cam, Tannehill
RB: LeVeon, Jordan Howard, Latavius, Bryce Love, Ty Johnson
WR: OBJ, Antonio Brown, Corey Davis, Robby Anderson, Anthony Miller, Arcega-Whiteside,
Diontae Johnson, Hakeem Butler, DJ Chark, Darius Slayton
TE: OJ Howard, Evan Engram, Gerald Everett
K: Zuerlein
DEF: KC

Sterling Archer
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Sterling Archer » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:35 am

I'm fine with an increase in complexity, but it mainly seems like a parity mechanism, which doesn't interest me.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:43 am

I liked mine fine but it is MUCH more difficult to make trades.
I found most deals were cap savings deals where teams with extra cap money could get picks and players for taking on bad contracts (a la Brock Osweiler CLE-HOU swap this offseason). It isn't that it isn't fun but a completely different game from a management perspective.
It is more complicated but fun...the rulebooks are long out of necessity and makes it much more fun in a few ways and much less fun in others
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

mnbend
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby mnbend » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:01 am

What website are you using for salary cap leagues?
Team 1
10-Team, 25 Man Roster, 1 PPR, QB 2-4RB 2-4WR 1-3TE K DEF

QB: Newton, Dalton, Kizer
RB: Ajayi, L. Murray, Hill, Rawls, Coleman, Mixon, Yeldon, Kamara, Booker, McNichols,
WR: Hilton, Baldwin, Coleman, Ross, White, Austin, Sharpe
TE: Rudolph, Brate, Engram, Njoku

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:13 pm

mnbend wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:01 am What website are you using for salary cap leagues?
Do you mean which websites are using to host salary cap leagues or which websites are you using for information/strategy/articles related to salary cap leagues?
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:06 pm

[/quote]

Is that additional 20% the cap hit for cutting him, or is it some sort of signing bonus?
[/quote]

For cutting a player. It is mainly designed prevent people from locking up high scoring players to very long contracts and then dropping them when they fall off . Let's say you signed someone at $50 for 3 years and then decided you wanted to drop him in year 3 because he fell off. By that point the contract would be $72, so you would suffer a $14.4 cap hit (roughly 6% of your cap).
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

James McGhee
Captain
Captain

Postby James McGhee » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:35 am

Shcritters wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:06 pm
[/quote]

For cutting a player. It is mainly designed prevent people from locking up high scoring players to very long contracts and then dropping them when they fall off . Let's say you signed someone at $50 for 3 years and then decided you wanted to drop him in year 3 because he fell off. By that point the contract would be $72, so you would suffer a $14.4 cap hit (roughly 6% of your cap).
[/quote]

So you have an annual salary increase of 20%?
So would his cap number over three years look like: 3/$50, 2/$60, 1/$72?

Is this usual for salary cap/contract leagues?

I'm interested in starting my own and love hearing how people have theirs set up.

I also lover the idea of "hold-outs"...which if I understand it correctly means that if a player performs as a RB1 but makes less than 1/2 (?) of the average RB1 salary, he holds out and must be dropped or his contract renegotiated to the average RB1 salary? Do you then get to "extend" the length of his contract to a full 4 or 5 years?
12 team league; 15 man roster; .5 pt PPR;
QB/RB/2 WR/TE/2 FLX/K/DEF

Tom Brady, Cam Newton
Mark Ingram, Kerryon Johnson, Rashaad Penny, Ronald Jones
AJ Green, Keenan Allen, Michael Thomas, Marvin Jones, Golden Tate, Keelan Cole
Rob Gronkowski
Will Lutz
Minnesota Defense

12 team league; 30-man roster; full PPR
QB/2 RB/2 WR/TE/3 FLX

Rodgers, Goff, Carr
Bell, J. Stewart, Foreman, Perine
Hopkins, K. Allen, Cooks, Hurns, Kupp, Lee, C. Samuel, Patterson, Taywan Taylor
Howard, Hooper, S. Anderson

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:23 am

Our cap league you ate 1/2 the contract but max 3 years and a total cap of $1000. So $90 over 3 years you got hit with a 45 for each of the remaining years.
We had extensions at 175% of the salary for one year. Rookies were allowed to be extended 2 years each at 175% and FA's only 1 year.
The rookie salary scale favored owning rookies and the IDP wasn't very well balanced

I really got into trying to make deals with the cap and found the extra complexity almost an addiction
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

jpusmc0311
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jpusmc0311 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:40 pm

I've never participated in one, but I'm very interested in doing it.. Just seems much more interesting and challenging.
Team 1: 10 TEAM PPR. 0.2 PPC 2QB 3RB 4WR 1TE 1FLEX 2IDP 1 D/ST 1K
QBs - Bridgewater, Cousins, Darnold, Rudolph
RBs - Miles Sanders, Ronald Jones, Mixon, Fournette, Mike Davis, Gio Bernard, T. Coleman, Damien Williams, Love
WRs - DHop, Chris Godwin, DK Metcalf, DJ Chark, Beckham Jr, DJ Moore, Sutton, Kirk, Edelman, Tre'Quan Smith, Anthony Miller, Van Jefferson, Jalen Guyton, Peoples-Jones, Marcus Johnson
TEs- Kittle, Hockenson, Tonyan, Njoku, Trautman
IDP: Lavonte David, Roquan Smith
K: Greg Zuerlein

Team 2: 12 Team PPR 1QB, 3RB, 4WR, 1TE, 1FLEX
QBs - Josh Allen, Matt Ryan, Lock, Eason
RBs - Barkley, Cook, Swift, Cam Akers, Mack, K. Johnson,
WRs - Michael Thomas, A Robinson II, Chark Jr, Tee Higgins, Woods, Sutton, B Edwards, Hardman, Zach Pascal, Van Jefferson, Berrios, Gandy-Golden, Tyler Johnson, P Campbell
TE - Fant, Ebron, Kmet