Calvin Johnson Oakland

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jason
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Calvin Johnson Oakland

Postby Jason » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:04 pm

ericanadian wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:58 pm
Jason wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:08 pm Lions only have a little bit over $5M in cap space right now, they'd almost be forced to release Calvin Johnson if he came out of retirement, because they wouldn't be able to afford him and I don't know if anyone would be willing to take on his contract. Then he could sign with Oakland if he chose.
Stafford currently rings in at $22M cap hit. With him due an extension they could easily put most of this year's cap hit into a signing bonus and open up a lot of room this year. Even if not, cutting Jones or Tate at this point would generate $6M+ depending on which player they cut.
If they were desperate to fit in Calvin Johnson's $15.95M base salary, could they craft a contract extension that shaves $11M+ off Stafford's $16.5M base salary? Gonna have to be creative if he's gonna approach the 5 years $125M Derek Carr got. Either way, I refuse to believe they'd willingly pay Calvin $16M, maybe I'm wrong.

Not to mention they aren't releasing Golden Tate to fit in an overpaid physically broken 1 year rental WR. Releasing Marvin Jones would accelerate so much dead money it wouldn't help at all. Let's say they are retarded enough to release Golden Tate who has the 6th most catches in the NFL over the last 3 years, they'd probably just barely garner enough to keep Megatron if they classified him a post-june 1st cut and kicked some money to next year.

homer
Role Player
Role Player

Postby homer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:05 am

MEuRaH wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:33 am There's no way this happens. Calvin was interviewed several times a few weeks ago about the possibility for a return to the NFL through Oakland, and he defiantly said "no way".

He's done playing. He quit because he wanted to keep his health where it is.
He quit to save his health for a losing team, if he was winning, that would have changed his decision.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:53 am

Jason wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:04 pm
Jason wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:08 pm Lions only have a little bit over $5M in cap space right now, they'd almost be forced to release Calvin Johnson if he came out of retirement, because they wouldn't be able to afford him and I don't know if anyone would be willing to take on his contract. Then he could sign with Oakland if he chose.
Stafford currently rings in at $22M cap hit. With him due an extension they could easily put most of this year's cap hit into a signing bonus and open up a lot of room this year. Even if not, cutting Jones or Tate at this point would generate $6M+ depending on which player they cut.
If they were desperate to fit in Calvin Johnson's $15.95M base salary, could they craft a contract extension that shaves $11M+ off Stafford's $16.5M base salary? Gonna have to be creative if he's gonna approach the 5 years $125M Derek Carr got. Either way, I refuse to believe they'd willingly pay Calvin $16M, maybe I'm wrong.

Not to mention they aren't releasing Golden Tate to fit in an overpaid physically broken 1 year rental WR. Releasing Marvin Jones would accelerate so much dead money it wouldn't help at all. Let's say they are retarded enough to release Golden Tate who has the 6th most catches in the NFL over the last 3 years, they'd probably just barely garner enough to keep Megatron if they classified him a post-june 1st cut and kicked some money to next year.
Cutting Jones as a post-June 1st cut saves the team $7M per over the cap and generates less than $2M in dead money. You'd have to be creative to pull down Stafford's salary, but you can put quite a bit of it into 2018 as Ebron becomes an easy $8M in savings. I'm not saying this is likely, but Detroit doesn't need to actually do this, they just need to have the possibility present so they can hold Calvin long enough to trade him and have a least some leverage in negotiations.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Pet_Smith
Starter
Starter

Postby Pet_Smith » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:13 pm

Just picked up in my league. Guy had to drop Sammie Coates to do it. Who was subsequently picked up putting Devante Mays back on the wire, and who is now sitting in my squad until final cuts happen.
Dynasty - 9th year, 12-team, Standard scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1K, 1DE/DT, 1LB, 1CB/S - 25man roster / 6 Taxi Squad
'17 Champ, '18 Runner Up, '23 rebuild

QB Watson, A Richardson, O' Connel (TS)
RB Gibbs, Akers, Dillon Carter, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Mcintosh, Tucker, Hull (TS)
WR Metcalf, DJ Moore, Addison, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Collins, Claypool, Mingo (TS), Hyatt (TS), Wilson (TS)
TE Higbee, Freirmuth, Otton (TS)
K Joseph
DE/DT Hunter
LB Franklin Simmons
C/S James

1.01, 1.04

Jason
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jason » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:56 pm

ericanadian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:53 am

Cutting Jones as a post-June 1st cut saves the team $7M per over the cap and generates less than $2M in dead money. You'd have to be creative to pull down Stafford's salary, but you can put quite a bit of it into 2018 as Ebron becomes an easy $8M in savings. I'm not saying this is likely, but Detroit doesn't need to actually do this, they just need to have the possibility present so they can hold Calvin long enough to trade him and have a least some leverage in negotiations.
Except the fact that that isn't true because his base salary of $7M became fully guaranteed on March 13th

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lion ... ones-9987/

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:34 pm

Jason wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:56 pm
ericanadian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:53 am

Except the fact that that isn't true because his base salary of $7M became fully guaranteed on March 13th

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lion ... ones-9987/
I guess overthecap didn't pick that up. They still show a $7M savings on Jones as a post- June 1st cut.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

jimmychoi
Starter
Starter

Postby jimmychoi » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:58 am

I've stashed him for now. My league allows cheap, off-season transactions, so I figured why not. I'm not too hopeful he'll ever see the field, but I did the same with Lynch, so who knows.

Midnight
Captain
Captain

Postby Midnight » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:20 pm

I stashed Calvin and marshawn at the end of last season. Time to cash in on some trades.
Year #9 (3 titles)
12 teams SF .5 PPR 4pt passing TDs
1QB 1RB 2WR 1TE 3Flex 1SF 0Kickers

QB- Watson, Herbert, Tua, Purdy
RB- CMC, RWhite, JCook, Swift, Gibson, TyChand
WR- Tyreek, Cupp, Cooper, Palmer, MT13
TE- Kmet, Chig, Likely

Team #2 (going full rebuild in 2022)
year #6 (3 titles)
Fields, richardson, DJones
Charbonnet, Dobbins & bunch of bleep
Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Doubs, Boutte, ZJones, OBJ, Ross