Calvin Johnson Oakland

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
InRodgersWeTrust
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Calvin Johnson Oakland

Postby InRodgersWeTrust » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:13 am

I've read quite a bit about the possibility of megatron returning to play in oakland. Apparently he's been golfing with carr and a few of the coaches; making comments along the lines of "I wouldn't mind lining up next to those guys". Given what we've seen with lynch, does anyone see this as a realistic possibility? Also, how would one even go about adding or claiming the rights to calvin if he's not in the player pool? Not to mention the free agency frenzy once he got added again (should something like this even happen).

Thoughts?
12-team PPR
1 QB | 3 WR | 2 RB | 1 TE | 1 FLEX | 1 K | 1 DEF

QB: Rodgers, Newton
WR: Hopkins, J. Jones, Diggs, J. Gordon, Godwin, Golladay, G. Allison, Cobb, Coutee
RB: Howard, A. Jones, Ingram, Clement, Ajayi
TE: Ertz, Kittle

dlf4lyfe
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Calvin Johnson Oakland

Postby dlf4lyfe » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:19 am

Pretty sure this is old news FYI. Todd Downing is the Raiders OC so that's his connection and reason for being around camp. I don't see this manifesting into anything. I also don't see the draw for Oakland, they already have Coop & Crab. That move wouldn't make sense for them imo. Unless he was going to come back on a really cheap deal.
10 team | 10 Keepers | .5 ppr | QB | RBx2 | WRx2 | RB/WR/TE | WR/TE | K | D/ST

QB: Burrow | Prescott
RB: Chubb | Dobbins | Sanders | Edwards-Helaire | Patterson | Edmonds | Henderson | Edwards | Benjamin
WR/TE: Moore | London | Kelce | Cooks | Lockett | Lazard | Parker | Jones

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:33 am

There's no way this happens. Calvin was interviewed several times a few weeks ago about the possibility for a return to the NFL through Oakland, and he defiantly said "no way".

He's done playing. He quit because he wanted to keep his health where it is.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:43 am

I actually created a poll where you can vote on what you think the likelihood of him returning is. Right now only 50% of owners feel there is a 0 % chance.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Pet_Smith
Starter
Starter

Postby Pet_Smith » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:43 am

dlf4lyfe wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:19 am Pretty sure this is old news FYI. Todd Downing is the Raiders OC so that's his connection and reason for being around camp. I don't see this manifesting into anything. I also don't see the draw for Oakland, they already have Coop & Crab. That move wouldn't make sense for them imo. Unless he was going to come back on a really cheap deal.
I mostly agree with this - the only thing I would say is that the raiders could certainly use him as an upgrade on Seth Roberts - RZ and downfield, on a few snaps per game. In which case, even in the 0.1% chance it happened, given how banged up he was before I don't see him being a usable fantasy commodity. But would he improve the Raiders offense if it happened? No doubt. But for this to happen he'd need to come really cheap, which is very unlikely
Dynasty - 9th year, 12-team, Standard scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1K, 1DE/DT, 1LB, 1CB/S - 25man roster / 6 Taxi Squad
'17 Champ, '18 Runner Up, '23 rebuild

QB Watson, A Richardson, O' Connel (TS)
RB Gibbs, Akers, Dillon Carter, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Mcintosh, Tucker, Hull (TS)
WR Metcalf, DJ Moore, Addison, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Collins, Claypool, Mingo (TS), Hyatt (TS), Wilson (TS)
TE Higbee, Freirmuth, Otton (TS)
K Joseph
DE/DT Hunter
LB Franklin Simmons
C/S James

1.01, 1.04

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:27 am

His body is in shambles and hes what, 32? He's done, as he should be. He took a beating for a long time.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:36 am

osubuckeyeman
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby osubuckeyeman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:00 am

Pretty sure that Detroit still owns rights to Calvin Johnson so if there is a comeback then that would have to go through Detroit first.

Oakland could trade for him if he unretires. I don't think it happens this season based on the timing of the whole thing. We are at the start of training camp and Johnson would need a lot of work to knock the rust off and learn an offense. Pretty late for something like this to happen.

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:01 am

If Megatron did want to come back, a perfect time would be after the expected-to-be Mega Stafford extension coming in days / few weeks. I doubt the Lions have much cap room left after that. If he un-retires, they'd have to release him. Then he could go where he wants.

Still... I lay the odds at 80% likely that he stays retired.

Jason
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jason » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:08 pm

Lions only have a little bit over $5M in cap space right now, they'd almost be forced to release Calvin Johnson if he came out of retirement, because they wouldn't be able to afford him and I don't know if anyone would be willing to take on his contract. Then he could sign with Oakland if he chose.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:58 pm

Jason wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:08 pm Lions only have a little bit over $5M in cap space right now, they'd almost be forced to release Calvin Johnson if he came out of retirement, because they wouldn't be able to afford him and I don't know if anyone would be willing to take on his contract. Then he could sign with Oakland if he chose.
Stafford currently rings in at $22M cap hit. With him due an extension they could easily put most of this year's cap hit into a signing bonus and open up a lot of room this year. Even if not, cutting Jones or Tate at this point would generate $6M+ depending on which player they cut.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:00 pm

This all feels way to simailiar to Lynch
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

jimmychoi
Starter
Starter

Postby jimmychoi » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:53 pm

pierson242 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:00 pm This all feels way to simailiar to Lynch
I agree. Would he come back for a year to have a very good chance of playoff football or more?

quarterroys
Rookie
Rookie

Postby quarterroys » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:22 pm

This is extremely good news, as it means my fellow leaguemates are going to waste their roster spots and FAAB $ on a retired player.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:28 pm

I don't think he's coming back, but I could understand someone throwing a few bid dollars just to hold him for a few weeks this offseason, just in case.