RBs vs WRs in dynasty

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
KenAndTonic
Rookie
Rookie

Re: RBs vs WRs in dynasty

Postby KenAndTonic » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:16 am

Having only skimmed this thread, I tend to agree with what others are saying. When constructing my roster, I like to build around WRs for the reasons you and others have mentioned here (career length, injury risk). When it comes to rookie drafts, however, it's a combination of team need and taking what the draft has to offer. This is where it is more art than science. I'm typically not afraid to "reach" on a player in a draft if I like him and it fills a team need, but that only goes so far. In this draft, for example, I wouldn't spend a high (top 5-6) draft pick on any receiver other than Corey Davis regardless of team need given the depth at RB. And, in a TE premium league, I would even take a top TE over most WRs in this year's class , although they will require a little more patience to develop.

In this particular case, the 1.03 and 1.04 are pretty strong picks. If you really need WRs, I would try shopping the picks. Otherwise, I would draft RBs with each and hope for the best.
Team #1 (co-owned), 1QB
QB - Joe Burrow, Jared Goff, Drew Lock
RB - Melvin Gordon, James White, JK Dobbins, Nyheim Hines
WR - AJ Brown, Dionae Johnson, AJ Green, Curtis Samuel, Brandin Cooks, Michael Pittman
TE - Austin Hooper, OJ Howard

Team #2, Superflex
QB - Desean Watson, Carson Wentz, Drew Lock
RB - Melvin Gordon, JK Dobbins, JD McKissic, Tarik Cohen
WR - DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Tyler Lockett, Sammy Watkins, Brandin Cooks, Emmanuel Sanders
TE - Junno Smith, Evan Engram

ajmyk
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ajmyk » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:52 am

It's pretty simple.
In 2014, 3 years ago, i did my first startup draft in a STANDARD scoring league. There RB's are crucial to win, you'd thought it'd be a good strategy to draft RB's ?

Here is how the draft went, look at the RB (they're in green) and think of their production the last 3 seasons and current value :

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... p=drivesdk
1. 14-teamer, .5 PPR, 2 Flex, 16 keepers
QB :Palmer, Bridgewater, RG3
RB : Gurley, Hyde, Yeldon, McKinnon
WR: Dez, Jeffery, Evans, Watkins, Marshall, Diggs, Sharpe
TE : Eifert, ASJ,
IDP : Mosley, Olegtree, Collins &Stuff

2. 12-teamer, standard, 6 PTD, full dynasty
QB: Rodgers, Bortles, Petty
RB : McCoy, Forsett, Spiller, Lewis, KRob, Ridley, Haynes
WR : Julio, AJ Green, Tate, Latimer, Lee
TE : Gronk , Hill, Chandler

ajmyk
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ajmyk » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:28 am

I did another very similar startup in 2014, half PPR, can show you that one too. Same conclusions.
1. 14-teamer, .5 PPR, 2 Flex, 16 keepers
QB :Palmer, Bridgewater, RG3
RB : Gurley, Hyde, Yeldon, McKinnon
WR: Dez, Jeffery, Evans, Watkins, Marshall, Diggs, Sharpe
TE : Eifert, ASJ,
IDP : Mosley, Olegtree, Collins &Stuff

2. 12-teamer, standard, 6 PTD, full dynasty
QB: Rodgers, Bortles, Petty
RB : McCoy, Forsett, Spiller, Lewis, KRob, Ridley, Haynes
WR : Julio, AJ Green, Tate, Latimer, Lee
TE : Gronk , Hill, Chandler

RAB
Role Player
Role Player

Postby RAB » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:54 pm

ajmyk wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:52 am It's pretty simple.
In 2014, 3 years ago, i did my first startup draft in a STANDARD scoring league. There RB's are crucial to win, you'd thought it'd be a good strategy to draft RB's ?

Here is how the draft went, look at the RB (they're in green) and think of their production the last 3 seasons and current value :

Thanks ajmyk. This speaks volumes. I never would have guessed it to be that bad.
TEAM 1
10 team .5 PPR 1QB/2RB/2WR/TE/3FLEX/DEF
2019 Champion
2020 Champion
QB-Lamar Jackson, Trey Lance
RB-CMC, Kamara, King Henry, Chubb,, Dillon, D.J., Tony Jones
WR-Metcalf, AJ Brown, Godwin, Arob, Mooney, Bryan Edwards
TE- Fant, Goedert, L. Thomas

jpusmc0311
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jpusmc0311 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:38 pm

Personally, I value RBs more. I know my team contradicts that pretty badly lol... WRs do have a longer shelf life than RBs, but RB1s are much more harder to come by than WR1... I made the mistake of passing up on top RBs to get WRs and I've paid for that.
Team 1: 10 TEAM PPR. 0.2 PPC 2QB 3RB 4WR 1TE 1FLEX 2IDP 1 D/ST 1K
QBs - Bridgewater, Cousins, Darnold, Rudolph
RBs - Miles Sanders, Ronald Jones, Mixon, Fournette, Mike Davis, Gio Bernard, T. Coleman, Damien Williams, Love
WRs - DHop, Chris Godwin, DK Metcalf, DJ Chark, Beckham Jr, DJ Moore, Sutton, Kirk, Edelman, Tre'Quan Smith, Anthony Miller, Van Jefferson, Jalen Guyton, Peoples-Jones, Marcus Johnson
TEs- Kittle, Hockenson, Tonyan, Njoku, Trautman
IDP: Lavonte David, Roquan Smith
K: Greg Zuerlein

Team 2: 12 Team PPR 1QB, 3RB, 4WR, 1TE, 1FLEX
QBs - Josh Allen, Matt Ryan, Lock, Eason
RBs - Barkley, Cook, Swift, Cam Akers, Mack, K. Johnson,
WRs - Michael Thomas, A Robinson II, Chark Jr, Tee Higgins, Woods, Sutton, B Edwards, Hardman, Zach Pascal, Van Jefferson, Berrios, Gandy-Golden, Tyler Johnson, P Campbell
TE - Fant, Ebron, Kmet

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:42 pm

You can dominate in dynasty by having your team "peak" at the same time.

There's a strategy to do that which involving leaning towards WRs in the startup draft who will be studs for years.

Then add RBs in the future rookie drafts. If your RBs can fire it up in year 1 or 2, they will provide stud production to go with the above mentioned WRs. If your RBs fizzle out, your team will lose & get an early pick next year. So you can try the process again.

Also, I like to horde WRs in the offseason as their values tend to stay more constant. As soon as preseason & the regular season start, you're more likely to see an RB shoot up in value than a WR. But during the offseason, you won't know which RB that will be. The savy dynasty owner is the one who recognizes that and offers a stud WR for a (newly crowned stud RB).

Imagine all last offseason if you had Alshon on your team and someone offered you Jordan Howard for him. You would laugh and post it in the horrible trade offers thread. Now imagine if you had your assets parked in Alshon but you saw the emergence of Howard once he got the opportunity, and you made that trade.

The cycle repeats itself year after year, only the names change....

jimmychoi
Starter
Starter

Postby jimmychoi » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:23 am

jpusmc0311 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:38 pm Personally, I value RBs more. I know my team contradicts that pretty badly lol... WRs do have a longer shelf life than RBs, but RB1s are much more harder to come by than WR1... I made the mistake of passing up on top RBs to get WRs and I've paid for that.
I have this dilemma right now. Do I take Davis or Fournette? My fear of passing on a potential RB1 is paralyzing even though I know how good Davis might be. I know the decision can't be made in a vacuum though.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:56 am

Draft stud RBs because the transition is way easier especially for a stud. Buy WRs because they are more worth the price because they are less volatile. That is going to be my strategy going forward
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

RAB
Role Player
Role Player

Postby RAB » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:34 pm

That makes sense but in my case I have the 1.03 and 1.04 picks. Fournette and CMC are going 1 and 2. I REALLY want to take Mixon and Cook but I cannot fathom letting Davis slip to 1.05 or beyond. I'm thin at RB and so are several other teams in my league. Has anyone seen Davis slip past 1.04?
TEAM 1
10 team .5 PPR 1QB/2RB/2WR/TE/3FLEX/DEF
2019 Champion
2020 Champion
QB-Lamar Jackson, Trey Lance
RB-CMC, Kamara, King Henry, Chubb,, Dillon, D.J., Tony Jones
WR-Metcalf, AJ Brown, Godwin, Arob, Mooney, Bryan Edwards
TE- Fant, Goedert, L. Thomas

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:06 pm

RAB wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:34 pm That makes sense but in my case I have the 1.03 and 1.04 picks. Fournette and CMC are going 1 and 2. I REALLY want to take Mixon and Cook but I cannot fathom letting Davis slip to 1.05 or beyond. I'm thin at RB and so are several other teams in my league. Has anyone seen Davis slip past 1.04?
Your WRs arent that much stronger than RB, I'd go BPA and take Davis and Mixon
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Wsn21
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Wsn21 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:58 pm

This isnonly my 2nd year of dynasty, butnim ling time redraft.
I think because wrs last longer, its better to solidify that wr talent and then kind of set and forget, then you can go chasing the rb upgrades, i.e. My wr,l are pretty strong, but my rbs are lacking, my wrs i can essentially forget for years and just keep working in my rbs, all because i went solidified wr early
12team ppr 1qb/1rb/1wr/2flex/1te

Qb: Mahomes
Rb: CEH/ Miles Sanders/ C Patt/ Sermon
Wr: Mclaurin/ Devonta Smith/ Toney/ Bryan Edwards/ M Callaway/ Slayton
Te: Gesicki/ Everett/ Dan Arnold
K: h butker

2023 x7 1sts

jimmychoi
Starter
Starter

Postby jimmychoi » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:06 am

ajmyk wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:52 am It's pretty simple.

Wow...this is really telling. The only thing that has me thinking is the amount of depth in this draft of very good rb prospects. The other fact is it's not often I have the 1.01,1.04, and 1.06. My rb vs wr dilemma continues to be Fournette vs Davis at number one.

Sgtpsych
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Sgtpsych » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:55 pm

How deep should your WRs be before you identify that it is time to start getting RBs? I can relate to some of you all in regards to Davis. I have decent WRs but not sure if I should go rb rb in this draft or wr rb.

I did go WR heavy in my startup in 2105 going wr often.
Team 1-
12 team standard dynasty 6 pt - td, .1 per rushing yd, .1 per receiving yd. .04 per passing yd , 24 player roster
1 qb, 2 RB, 2 wr, 1 TE, 2 flex
QB-Russell Wilson, Tom Brady
RB-Leonard Fournette, Joe Mixon, Kareem Hunt,Thomas Rawls,Jerick McKinnon, Chris Carson, TJ Yeldon, Aaron Jones
WR-OBJ, AJG, NUK, ARob, Mike Williams, Josh Gordon, Marqise Lee, Willie Snead
TE- Jimmy Graham, Coby Fleener, George Kittle, Tyler Kroft
K- Harrison Butker
D-Carolina Panthers, Jags
2018 1st and 4th

Team 2-
QB- Winston, Prescott, Flacco
RB- Freeman, Fournette, Montgomery, Murray, Yeldon, Hightower, Washington, Procise, Lacy, Starks, Conner
WR- NUK, Doctson, Ross, Aghlor, Treadwell
TE - Engram, Davis
D- Giants,Chiefs
K- Gostkowski

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:46 pm

Sgtpsych wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:55 pm How deep should your WRs be before you identify that it is time to start getting RBs? I can relate to some of you all in regards to Davis. I have decent WRs but not sure if I should go rb rb in this draft or wr rb.

I did go WR heavy in my startup in 2105 going wr often.
My aim is to have the required starting WRs (three for me, two for you) plus one for flex/bye weeks.
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

BradysBunch
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby BradysBunch » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:51 pm

In my league, RBs are hard to trade for. I won two years ago. I picked up Hightower off the ww and traded for DWill because I had Bell. I won because they had one of their top 2 games of the year in the championship. The guy who won is this year, had the number one pick the year before and took Zeke. You need Rbs to win, but there are ways to get them. That being said, I drafted RBs this this. I passed on Davis at 2 hoping he would be there at four for me. I ended up with Mixon at 2 and Cook at 4 and am very happy right now. I have 5 firsts next year and pretty sure I will take at least 3 RBs.
9(yes 9) team / 28 man rosters
15/17/19/21 Champ
SF/PPR
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/flex/SF
Mahomes/TLAW/Fields
N. Harris/J. Williams/Gibbs/CEH/A. Jones/Hubbard/Haskins/Ingram
Kupp/Jefferson/Chase/Lamb/Hopkins/MT/Watson/Dotson/
Kelce/Hurst