RBs vs WRs in dynasty

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
RAB
Role Player
Role Player

RBs vs WRs in dynasty

Postby RAB » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:51 pm

Hi all! So I am fairly new to dynasty leagues so this is an offseason of questions and info for me. This will be my first rookie draft coming up. I finished 9-5 my first year and quickly realized I had a team full of #2s and in a 10 team league I needed studs. I did several trades this off season and landed Gronk, Luck and Arob (to go with Cooper and J.Howard) along with the 1.03 and 1.04 picks this year.

My question.....it seems that people here on DLF greatly favor WRs over RBs. I understand they last longer and are less prone to injury but where's the line? Will you ALWAYS take a stud WR over a stud RB even if it leaves you thin at RB? Why would anyone consider Fournette over Davis if you'll have Davis for twice as long?

This is not a team advise question. I want it to be a general question of where you stand on the WR vs RB. Sorry if this is a repeat post but I did search for a similar one before posting. Thanks
TEAM 1
10 team .5 PPR 1QB/2RB/2WR/TE/3FLEX/DEF
2019 Champion
2020 Champion
QB-Lamar Jackson, Trey Lance
RB-CMC, Kamara, King Henry, Chubb,, Dillon, D.J., Tony Jones
WR-Metcalf, AJ Brown, Godwin, Arob, Mooney, Bryan Edwards
TE- Fant, Goedert, L. Thomas

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: RBs vs WRs in dynasty

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:22 pm

The reason ppl value WRs more in general is they last longer. There are also a lot of fools gold rbs that trick everyone and then ppl swear off the position. Take Jordan Howard for example. The odds that he's a stud for your team for the next 5 years is really slim, whereas with ARob it's pretty high. Rbs might not last as long but they'll give you more points. A fair trade off imo

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:08 pm

As for where the line is, it depends on my team. Top RBs will win you your league more often than top WRs, but having top WRs usually affords you a longer window to compete. If my team is ready to compete now, I will pay more for a RB. If I am looking at a team that isn't ready to compete, I want to give myself a longer competing window so I have more opportunities to grab a RB when I am in that window.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

smallxl
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smallxl » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:30 pm

I play in leagues where you can start 1 RB so that makes WR even more valuable. But the easy answer is RB's just bust more
22-man, 12-team, 1 pt-PPR; Start 1-2RB; 3-4 WR; 1-2 TE

TEAM 1
QB: Prescott, Foles
RB: Barkley, P Barber, Duke, Gio Bernard, Gus, C Thompson, Breida, Ekeler
WR: A Cooper, Cooks, Lockett, C. Davis, Crowder, Chark, Stills
TE: OJ Howard

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:42 pm

Fournette over Davis regardless for me but I think there are 3 and maybe 4 RB's that are better than the WR's in this draft
Top RB's are gold...but so hard to find them and so hard for them to repeat production
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:58 pm

I prefer WRs over RBs in dynasty, but when it comes to this particular draft, I'm just not sold on the WR talent. I think the top RBs have a better chance of being elite, studs, or whatever other term you want to call them. Whereas the WRs have WR2 upside for me.

RAB
Role Player
Role Player

Postby RAB » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:45 pm

jtd1387 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:08 pm As for where the line is, it depends on my team. Top RBs will win you your league more often than top WRs, but having top WRs usually affords you a longer window to compete. If my team is ready to compete now, I will pay more for a RB. If I am looking at a team that isn't ready to compete, I want to give myself a longer competing window so I have more opportunities to grab a RB when I am in that window.
This makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks to everyone for their input. It's more helpful than you know.
TEAM 1
2019 Champion
2020 Champion

Needalife
Legend
Legend

Postby Needalife » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:03 pm

No one answer to this one. You gotta go with the guy you believe can be a stud. I think it's a lot of luck and doing your best scouting.

I mean, WRs can bust or be middling almost as much as RBs. Take last year for example... my rookie draft went:
1.01 Elliott, Ezekiel
1.02 Coleman, Corey
1.03 Shepard, Sterling
1.04 Treadwell, Laquon
1.05 Thomas, Michael
1.06 Henry, Derrick
1.07 Doctson, Josh
1.08 Booker, Devontae
1.09 Boyd, Tyler
1.10 Henry, Hunter

It's a small sample, but from last year my top guys are Zeke, Thomas, D Henry, H Henry. Many of these WRs are valued well below those four. Not saying it can't change, but more providing an example where the guys who went WR near the top didn't love their picks in retrospect.

For this year, I don't think many WRs are going to do much outside of Davis. I like the rookies in order Fournette, Mixon, Davis, Cook, CMC at the moment.
14 TM / Devy / SuperFlex / TEP
1 Q / 2 RB / 2 WR / 1 TE / 1 SF / 3 F / 1 DT / 2 DE / 3 LB / 2 CB / 2 S / 1 F

QB: Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawrence
RB: Zamir White, Jaylen Warren, James Conner, Raheem Mostert
WR: Michael Pittman, Puka Nacua, Drake London, Marquise Brown, Christian Kirk, Josh Palmer
TE: Trey McBride, Jake Ferguson, Noah Gray
PK: Justin Tucker, Jason Myers
DT: Aaron Donald, Grover Stewart, Devonte Wyatt
DE: Alex Highsmith, Jonathan Cooper, Gregory Rousseau, Matt Judon, Baron Browning
LB: Fred Warner, Dre Greenlaw, Ernest Jones, Alex Anzalone, Jack Campbell
CB: L'Jarius Sneed, Deommodore Lenoir, Taron Johnson
S: Derwin James, Rayshawn Jenkins, Talanoa Hufanga, Kareem Jackson
DEVY: RB Trey Benson FSU, RB Will Shipley Clemson
2024 DEVY DEPLETED PICKS: 1.03, 1.11, 1.13, 2.03, 2.05, 2.13, 3.01, 3.07, 3.10, 3.12, 4.03, 4.11, 4.15, 5.01, 5.13

Mr.Winitall
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Mr.Winitall » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:29 pm

My personal opinion is that it is easier to get solid wr production from lower valued players than RB production. It's extremely easy to plug and play a guy like marquise lee and get low wr2/3 production. You won't find many 2nd or 3rd string rbs to give you the same production at their position.

Checker1183
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Checker1183 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:41 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:22 pm The reason ppl value WRs more in general is they last longer. There are also a lot of fools gold rbs that trick everyone and then ppl swear off the position. Take Jordan Howard for example. The odds that he's a stud for your team for the next 5 years is really slim, whereas with ARob it's pretty high. Rbs might not last as long but they'll give you more points. A fair trade off imo

Agree. Depends where your team is at imo. But the top 3 RBs right now are worth their weight in gold.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:46 pm

Running back by committee kills RBs for me. Unless you have a proven stud work horse RB chances are they will be hit or miss/ up and down (Doug martin, lacy, Trich, Rawls, etc). Once that happens they lose carries and enter into RBBCs and then they can't keep up with the studs and won't put up points like their price would suggest. WRs on the other hand can get you 1000 yards and a few TDs for a dime a dozen. WRs last longer, and are injured less often generally speaking, and don't suffer the major injuries that RBs sustain. Plus the NFL in general is shifting to a passing first league with very few teams that have a strong enough ground attack to support a top flight RB.
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:58 am

Keep in mind that DLF ADP is based on PPR and starting 1 RB + flex. If your league starts more RBs or doesn't have a PPR then obviously RBs will be worth more. Generally the larger the league, the more valuable RBs are because of their limited numbers (you did a great thing getting Gronk in a 10 team league as that is the one position not everyone can have a stud!) Also, the elite RBs tend to outscore the top WRs but your average RB is in a committee these days. And the previous season affects the rookie values, and Zeke putting up big numbers while Coleman, Doctson, and Treadwell all flopped leads to people overvaluing RBs the following year.

Generally I build my teams around WRs long-term and consider the RBs to be the last piece to acquire for a win. Not only do RBs have more injuries and shorter careers overall but they are also volatile. DeMarco Murray can be RB1 in Dallas, not even worth starting in Philly, and then back to the top in Tennessee. Who knows if Doug Martin will be good this year or not? Mark Ingram had his best year yet and then they sign Peterson and draft Kamara and it's suddenly all up in the air again. Build a winning team and then when you have an extra WR or two trade for a rental RB.

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:06 am

Tsunami wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:58 am Build a winning team and then when you have an extra WR or two trade for a rental RB.
I have been trying to do this for the past couple years and everybody in my league holds RBs for a kings ransom because our league is start 2 RB and it's only 0.3PPR so RBs are more valuable. I've taken 3rd place or worse over the past 3 years with Dez/AB/Arob/Nuk... I finally decided to trade off some of my WR depth for top rookie RB picks because I can't buy RBs in this league during the season.

I guess the point I'm making is, your league will most likely push you in one direction or another so you have to be fluid with how you build around WRs.

When I'm finishing 7th every year, I'm getting RBs like Yeldon/Abdullah/Booker at the back end of the 1st round and it's not pushing me to a title and my WRs are getting older. And I'm watching other people in my league trade late 2017 1st round picks for players like Doug Martin and LaGarrette Blount.

RAB
Role Player
Role Player

Postby RAB » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:32 pm

Yes I can see that my league is already going to be tough to get RBs. If I need one I have to waaaay overpay for one. If I have one I can get great value for him. I only have one good RB but I get offers all the time. It's tough to turn down great value like Michael Thomas+ for J.Howard but I feel like I have to. I'd only have rookie RBs if I did that. This is why I started this thread was to see where people put their value. All your comments are much appreciated.
TEAM 1
2019 Champion
2020 Champion

harveyd
Role Player
Role Player

Postby harveyd » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:26 pm

Tsunami wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:58 am Keep in mind that DLF ADP is based on PPR and starting 1 RB + flex. If your league starts more RBs or doesn't have a PPR then obviously RBs will be worth more. Generally the larger the league, the more valuable RBs are because of their limited numbers (you did a great thing getting Gronk in a 10 team league as that is the one position not everyone can have a stud!) Also, the elite RBs tend to outscore the top WRs but your average RB is in a committee these days. And the previous season affects the rookie values, and Zeke putting up big numbers while Coleman, Doctson, and Treadwell all flopped leads to people overvaluing RBs the following year.

Generally I build my teams around WRs long-term and consider the RBs to be the last piece to acquire for a win. Not only do RBs have more injuries and shorter careers overall but they are also volatile. DeMarco Murray can be RB1 in Dallas, not even worth starting in Philly, and then back to the top in Tennessee. Who knows if Doug Martin will be good this year or not? Mark Ingram had his best year yet and then they sign Peterson and draft Kamara and it's suddenly all up in the air again. Build a winning team and then when you have an extra WR or two trade for a rental RB.
On that note, why does DLF base their ADP off this format? Almost all the leagues I've seen starts at least 2 RBs. Only requiring 1 RB seems like it would heavily devalue the position...