Is it Bad Luck or an Anomaly or have the Fantasy Gods spoken?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Is it Bad Luck or an Anomaly or have the Fantasy Gods spoken?

Postby ArrylT » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:34 pm

Are Rookie Wide Receivers the new injury prone player we need to be careful of ...

Kevin White
Breshad Perriman

Josh Doctson
Kevin White (again)

Mike Williams

That is 4 1st round WRs who have or may have lost their rookie season. This doesnt include Coleman, Treadwell, Marqise Lee, Devante Parker, Tyler Lockett, Sammy Watkins, Kelvin Benjamin, Davante Adams & Donte Moncrief who have all lost significant time in their first 3 years or at least had injury delay their development ...

Is the WR becoming a more injury prevalent position, or is it a fluke, or just because there are so many WRs we focus on now that PPR & WR is considered the top position

It has to be annoying to at least some of us that so many highly regarded rookie prospects are losing their 1st year - nothing beats game play to help (a) determine if they can stick in the NFL and (b) allow them to develop.

Personally I do not think WRs are that injury prone per say, but I do believe that perhaps the Fantasy Gods are sending us a message and that message is ....

(This is where you chime in)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

jaykay22
Starter
Starter

Re: Is it Bad Luck or an Anomaly or have the Fantasy Gods spoken?

Postby jaykay22 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:43 pm

I think the message remains that we got spoiled from the 2014 class, and that rookies are rookies, and shouldn't be seen as the saviors of your roster from the jump. Any contribution they provide early on in their first year is merely a bonus.

Also proven assets>picks. I traded the 1.11 for KB straight up in one league, and when I made the thread after the move was complete in the Team Advice thread, the split was 60/40 in favor of KB, with 40% of people actually preferring a random shot in the dark at the very tail of the first round over a player with 2 top 20WR (in PPR) seasons under his belt. So while picks are nice, flipping them for proven assets should be the priority imo.
#FreeCoreyDavis

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:57 pm

ARob and Cooks in 2014 which had them flying under the radar a little.

Think it is just bad luck though. Not much you can do but stay the course and scoop talent up where you see it.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:03 pm

Don't forget Demaryius Thomas.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:08 pm

NFL teams are playing elite guys out of the slot a lot more, which has always been a place a guy can get hurt. It's certainly not the only reason, but I suspect it is part of the trend.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:41 pm

It might have something to do with the concept that guys are training to be more explosive than ever before, as being explosive in certain maneuvers at the combine is what gets you paid. The underlying supportive structures (discs, ligaments, tendinous insertions, bones, etc) can't as easily support the explosive maneuvers generated by the muscles, and injury ensues.
In short, don't draft the top athletes. Draft the Rob Kelleys. :D

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:24 am

Some interesting thoughts so far! :)

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:32 am

Valhalla wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:41 pm It might have something to do with the concept that guys are training to be more explosive than ever before, as being explosive in certain maneuvers at the combine is what gets you paid. The underlying supportive structures (discs, ligaments, tendinous insertions, bones, etc) can't as easily support the explosive maneuvers generated by the muscles, and injury ensues.
In short, don't draft the top athletes. Draft the Rob Kelleys. :D
Yup to the first part. All WRs have to be speed demons with agility to match and a lot of injuries we are seeing are non-contact injuries. Also, really sharp cutting and stopping at those speeds I will add as a big stressor to ligaments, ankles, etc.

No to the Rob Kelley part haha
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:50 am

Technically Corey Davis got injured this year training for the combine also (so they say...) I would add him to this list also but he looks healthy now.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:29 am

Julio, Beckham, Cooks all also injured early on off the top of my head. Marshall and possibly demaryius? Can't remember. Maclin, Watkins, Allen, Adams, Diggs, Lockett just to name a few more that were/are early career injured
It seems that injury is the norm, to be expected from these highly explosive WRs. AJG is the early career anomaly, not injuries. Oh, and AJG got injured last year...so even the model of health gets hurt...

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:07 pm

I wonder--and, to be clear, I'm speculaiting--if the rate of injury to highly rated rookie WR has been relatively constant and instead it is more driven by:

A) these are the guys we are paying attention to. There might be a similar rate of injury to highly ranked offensive linemen...but I wouldn't know. I don't care about them.

B) the era of the total immersion news cycle. Maybe one of the reasons that "3rd year breakout" is a thing was because there was (what turns out to be) a similar injury rate all along, we just didn't know about it bc....why would we have?
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:11 pm

Goirish374 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:07 pm I wonder--and, to be clear, I'm speculaiting--if the rate of injury to highly rated rookie WR has been relatively constant and instead it is more driven by:

A) these are the guys we are paying attention to. There might be a similar rate of injury to highly ranked offensive linemen...but I wouldn't know. I don't care about them.

B) the era of the total immersion news cycle. Maybe one of the reasons that "3rd year breakout" is a thing was because there was (what turns out to be) a similar injury rate all along, we just didn't know about it bc....why would we have?
Interesting thoughts

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:17 pm

Goirish374 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:07 pm I wonder--and, to be clear, I'm speculaiting--if the rate of injury to highly rated rookie WR has been relatively constant and instead it is more driven by:

Not all lineman injuries hamper them as much as WRs. They can play through a lot more and still be effective as they dont need to catch the ball or speed or sharp cuts etc. Obviously, ligaments and such take them down but they can play through more mid-level stuff. Doesn't seem they are hurt as frequently though with the big stuff from my imprecise observations.

Sample size of WR to RB, especially highly drafted WR to RB also appears to be much bigger. So a WR that has had injuries and still done nothing in year 3 gets much more leeway than almost any RB would (outside of superstars when they enter the league like Zeke, Gurley, etc). So you will have more WRs drafted in the 1st or 2nd of the NFL draft than RBs in those rounds and RBs are competing for a much more limited amount (if they are behind a bellcow back for instance) than WRs who really just need to crack the top 3 on their team... so I wonder if RBs get less hurt or if we just care about less RBs? Can't say I have the answer
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:25 pm

Kevin White
Corey Coleman

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:46 pm

Not implying this is a new phenomenon, but I personally think that the top flight prospects have a much more rigorous schedule then they are accustomed to. When you account for the college season running past the new year for players in bowl games and then the immediate preparation for the combine and pro days followed by rookie training camp, real training camp, preseason and then regular season games. Some of these younger players are not ready for the non-stop training and constant preparation it takes to truly be successful in the NFL.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."