IDP question on Cornerbacks

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

IDP question on Cornerbacks

Postby Goirish374 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:25 am

Full Disclosure: i don't play IDP and know less about it than a mildly intelligent toddler.

I read in the IDP forum that CBs are problematic because it tends to be the crappier CBs that are targeted by the opposing offenses. so if you get a guy who is scoring points, it is because the good guy somewhere else is keeping his man from getting open.

this means the weak corners can generate stats, but will probably be either be replaced or get better by the next season, making it hard to generate any longevity at the position.

for those who know the format: is this a thing? if so, how do you handle it during league construction/scoring generation?
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Re: IDP question on Cornerbacks

Postby maxhyde » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:31 am

totally is a thing.
I get most of my CB's off waivers.

There are some top CB's that are solid plays but for the most part that isn't the case. You want the Antoine Winfield types back in the day. CB's that crash down hard and help in the running game. There are quite a few top CB options that do that but essentially you are right you want CB's that are targeted alot and give up catches and get tackles...they also usually get more attempts at plays on the ball
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Quinty
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Quinty » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:41 am

You can try adding Pass Deflections or another stat, but great CB's are not going to score many points when the ball isn't thrown their way.

A formula that rewards a lack of passes in his direction based on snaps played on passing downs could be something you could try to create, but given that snap counts aren't released for a few days, do you want to wait until Wednesday before you have a final score?

Stick with the usual Defensive stats, ignore the Stud CB's, and remember that CB's are the kickers of IDP. Value them accordingly.

Kcarr
Captain
Captain

Postby Kcarr » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:23 am

Theoreically something like opposing wr points per passing play minus points scored on the play could make it work but then you will reward certain systems. As is look for new starters, rookies, etc.
4th and long: ppr, 10 team, qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, flex, flex, te, k, dl, dl, lb, lb, db, db, dflex, dflex

QB: Kirk Cousins Tyrod Taylor, Jared Goff
RB: Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliot, Theo Riddick, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Jamal Williams
WR: Alshon Jeffrey, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Cole Beasley, Robby Anderson, Corey Davis, Breshad Perriman, Eli Rogers
TE: Eric Ebron, , David Njoku, Jack Doyle
K: Will Lutz
DL: Frank Clark, Danielle Hunter
LB: Luke Kuechley, Bobby Wagner, Jordan Hicks, Mark Barron, Darron Lee
DB: Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett,

IR: Clayton Geathers, Quincy Enunwa, Raekwon McMillan

Mefisto
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mefisto » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:30 am

It is a thing. If your league just does DB's then focus on getting good safeties. If your league specifically requires you to start CB's, focus on CB's that play opposite studs, regardless of how good they are. A great example of this is Bashaud Breeland on Washington. Think PFF graded him somewhere around 90 out of 111 CB's, but because he was across from Josh Norman and let people catch the ball he put up a lot of scored stats and was the #3 scoring CB in my league last year.
12 Team Non-PPR league. 2QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1RB/WR, 1TE, 1K, 1DL, 1LB, 1DB, 2DL/LB/DB
QB: Brady, Stafford, Mariota, Tannehill
RB: L. Miller, A. Collins, K. Drake, R. Freeman, K. Dixon, D. Foreman, D. Murray, J. Allen, Gore
WR: Hopkins, ARob, S. Diggs, D. Parker, M. Lee, J. Matthews, T. Lockett, D. Pettis, Callaway
TE: T. Kelce, E. Ebron, C. Brate
K: Bailey, Coons, Boswell
DL: D. Hunter, R. Quinn, D. Lawrence
LB: Von Miller, A. Ogletree, B. Wagner T. Edmunds
DB: H. Smith, J. Cyprien, L. Collins
2017 Superbowl Champion

10 Team PPR League. Start QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 1Superflex, 1Flex, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 3DFlex
QB: Luck, Goff, Trubisky, Prescott, Tannehill
RB: Gurley, Mixon, Barkley, D. Foreman
WR: Kupp, Cooper, C. Davis, Parker, T. Lockett, Kupp, W. Fuller, Sutton, John Brown, Callaway
TE: Kelce, Burton
DL: D. Lawrence, Ogunjobi, Ansah, M. Davenport
LB: L. Kuechly, T. Smith, Kiko Alonso, T. Edmunds, J. Smith, R. Foster
DB: Clinton-Dix, D. James, T. Edmunds, M. Jenkins

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:05 pm

Yes, it is a thing, but if your league scores special team points, getting a return guy as a CB can be huge.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:08 am

Defensive backs are the most replaceable points on the roster, in the off season I do not keep any, unless I have a strong safety like Harrison Smith .. I target guys on teams with inefficient offenses, since the defense will be on the field a lot more .. CB's can be useful for spot plays during the season and can easily be picked up on waivers..

And it is very important to know if you get special team yards, like Eric states above .. DBs that get return yards can really give you a big advantage, also those that might see some offensive plays .. I could see giving some capital this year to draft Jabrill Peppers since he may see some offense, plays on a team where the offense should be bad, etc..

But again I can't stress enough how replaceable DBs are on your roster ..
@PlankMelody

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:55 am

thanks to everyone for all the excellent replies. i was a little unclear with my original post.

i was more thinking in terms of league construction than actually drafting or managing a team.

in the same way that conventional leagues handle the issue of QB value by starting two QBs or by enrolling 16 teams, or RB value by starting multiple RBs or Kicker value by just not scoring the position...how do you structure your league size, league scoring, roster requirements, etc to deal with this issue?

or is there no way to deal with this? i guess i'm hoping there is a way to design a league where you can deal with this issue--but i obviously don't really know what i'm talking about!

Titus Young's Lawyer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Titus Young's Lawyer » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:05 am

My IDP league has three starting spots for CB+S. Are you worried only about cornerbacks or safeties as well? Safeties tend to be steady IDP scorers so it helps even out fleeting CB's.
12 Team Dynasty IDP PPR (Yr.7)
QB-Stafford
RBChubb,MixonJ.White
WRK.Allen, Golladay, Lazard, M.WilliamsIsabella,
TE-Ebron,Gesicki,Irv Smith
DL-Short
DE-Dunlap,L.Williams
LB-Kwon,Mosley,Shaq
CB+S-Bell,Thomas

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:14 am

Titus Young's Lawyer wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:05 am Are you worried only about cornerbacks or safeties as well?
my perception is this is much more of an issue with CB exclusively.

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:51 am

I do not yet play in any CB required leagues (though I would like to join one in the next year or two) so I don't know if any of these stats are actually tracked, but I think the best formula would look something like this:

- A fraction of a point per snap
- A few negative points per target
- A point (or 2) per tackle
- A few points per pass deflected
- A big bonus for tackle for loss
- Above average points for turnovers and the like

And then it would just be a matter of tweaking it to ensure the top CBs are scoring as high as (or higher than) Safeties.
The standard is the standard.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:13 am

Pretty much not a system I can easily see that CB's would get points for being good without the bad' CB's crushing.
Besides in all of IDP it is better to have players on bad defenses or fast moving bad offenses as a general rule. The snaps guys get the better opportunity to score points. Good defenses have a few good players but many those good players rip opportunities away from each other and because they get less overall opportunities not always the guys to target
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:00 am

well, that's certainly interesting:

https://dynastyleaguefootball.com/2017/ ... good-idps/

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:00 am

[duplicate]
Last edited by Goirish374 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:11 am

Yep, another great read by Tom K. On the subject of league construction: I found a format that works.

I run the DLF IDP CHAMPIONSHIP as an experimental league for format and scoring experiments. Because of this it is obviously redraft. In 2016, we ran with 16 teams where CBs and DTs got double points for sacks and passes defended. My value model showed a significant increase in CB scarcity in this format where CB1 was equal to S1 and DT3 and LB3 in terms of positional scarcity and PPG advantage.

This year, we are experimenting with 14-team format and adding in significant HC and OLine starting slots:

http://www62.myfantasyleague.com/2017/o ... 73131&O=26
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.