Transformers Redux (aka Megatron Returns)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

What Odds do you give Calvin Johnson to return to the NFL

45%
1-5
31%
5-19
12%
20-33
5%
34-49
2%
50+
6%

Total votes: 107

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Transformers Redux (aka Megatron Returns)

Postby ArrylT » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:24 pm

Just like Michael Bey keeps making Transformers movies for like what seems forever, the rumours about Megatron continue much like they once did for Marshawn Lynch. Lynch returned. Will Calvin Johnson do the same? Invited to Lions camp - rumours of invite to Raiders camp - odds suggest if he "unretires" the cap hit will force the Lions to release him and allow him to play for a contender ...

Owners in at least 3 of my leagues believe enough to buy him off waivers ...
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Transformers Redux (aka Megatron Returns)

Postby ArrylT » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:24 pm

Oh and just to be clear the odds are out of 100. So 1%, 5%, 20% etc ...

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:28 pm

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:37 pm

He's already come out and said the fact that the Lions weren't playing well was part of the reason he decided to retire and odds are they aren't gonna be making the playoffs again this year, the division is just too competitive and they've got too many holes on the OL and in the defense, even if he did decide to unretire there's no way the Lions wouldn't try to juggle money around to keep him on the team, he's way too much of a public figure and sense of pride for them and there's no chance they'd release him after they already invited him to training camp this year, they clearly want his presence around the team

Not to mention that the last time Calvin played he could barely keep his body from falling apart, sure he had like 5 or 6 good games but that was also 2 years ago and then you couldn't do more than guess at what his week was gonna look like

Highly doubtful he comes back (I picked 1-5%) and even if he did I don't see him being worth a roster spot, the Lions offense is predicated on a short-middle passing attack with high volume now and he wouldn't do well in such a crowded receiving corps at his age (and the extra contact from playing in the crowded middle would be horrible for his health considering how his last two years went)
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:50 pm

As a dynasty owner of the guy, the odds are 0%.

Maybe 0.1%.

Honestly, Calvin's been a bit of a baby recently. I respected him more when he was letting people think 100% of the reason he retired was due to health. With the epidemic of CTE, it made total sense to me for him to retire at 30, so long as he didn't care about making it into the Hall (which again I could respect, because a bust in Canton is cold comfort when your brain is dying).

I find it very suspicious that Calvin's only now suddenly acting bitter at Detroit following their playoff berth last season, after watching Stafford play better football without Calvin. I think Calvin expected the Lions (and Stafford) to be worse without him in '16, and instead the opposite happened, and he's a bit ego-hurt about it.

Calvin's stated cause for disgruntlement with the Lions is dubious at best. Yeah, Detroit hasn't been a successful franchise. But they gave him a very generous, superstar contract with incredible long-term security, which I guarantee at the time he was delighted to sign. 95% of the NFL's players past and present would kill to have Calvin's career in Detroit, with the contracts he got. If winning was what he really cared about most, then he could've done what Brady has done for years and voluntarily signed a less rich contract extension so as to help the Lions increase the talent around him.

I think Lynch coming back for home-town Oakland, together with Calvin's public whining at the Lions suggesting his health wasn't the entire reason he retired, are the origin of these very flimsy rumors speculating of Calvin's return, too. But I think it's just talk. Calvin really quit because the physical aches and pains overcame his competitive drive, which was never all that potent relative to so many diva-type superstar wide-receivers throughout the years that sustained productive careers well into their 30s. I believe if he were to start playing again, as soon as the aches and pains come back, he would just want to quit again. And I believe Calvin knows that.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:42 pm

Doesn't this thread already exist? I'd say 0%.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:35 pm

Goddard wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:42 pm Doesn't this thread already exist? I'd say 0%.
It does. Though I will opine that this thread can claim a better title header.

1-5%. Never say never. But Lynch is back primarily as a PR move. He loves Oakland, and wants to give the hometown fans a reason to support a team that's about to jump ship to vegas. He's also getting paid, so that's nice. And I'd wager he'll be prominently displaying some "Beast Mode" attire on the sidelines and pressers to drum up sales, league fines be damned!

Calvin was beat up when he retired. He's discussed how gnarled his fingers are, how he suffered multiple concussions to go along with knee and ankle injuries that were tough to rebound from. He was tired of being tired and physically beaten. Did the fact that the Lions were a perennially mediocre-to-bad team play a role in that decision? Probably. But that doesn't mean that if the Raider's offered him a contract for 2017 (assuming the Lions would release him, which they haven't commented on) that he'd take it.

I have serious doubts, but don't fault anyone with space on the bench for taking a stab at him just in case. I'd rather he stay away than come back and look like a shell of the great player we remember. I'm expecting that's about what we'll get from Lynch this season.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:37 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:35 pm
It does. Though I will opine that this thread can claim a better title header.
That's true!

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:41 pm

If there is another thread previously created in a different sub-forum my apologies & feel free to post a link.

Anyways thanks to those who've shared their thoughts so far.

Personally I thought there was 0% chance (or at least a number so small it was closer to 0% than 1%) Marshawn Lynch would return but he has. As such Ive moved my needle from 0% to 1% concerning Calvin Johnson.

If both Lynch & Calvin Johnson return in the same year, and both are as healthy as is possible, what a storyline it will make at the end of the year. :)

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:12 pm

If less than zero were an option, that would get my vote. Testaverde has a better shot to make another return to the Jets.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:14 pm

ArrylT wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:41 pm If both Lynch & Calvin Johnson return in the same year, and both are as healthy as is possible, what a storyline it will make at the end of the year. :)
As both spend half the season on IR and instead of Cocoon, we get Grumpy Old Men.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Pet_Smith
Starter
Starter

Postby Pet_Smith » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:56 pm

Ah, only read the second post after voting. I thought it was odds against so went for 50+ to 1 as the longest odds. If I could edit, it go 1-3% never say never, after all. If any other team his rights, maybe higher. Still. Would love to see him at the raiders for a year with beast mode!
Dynasty - 9th year, 12-team, Standard scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1K, 1DE/DT, 1LB, 1CB/S - 25man roster / 6 Taxi Squad
'17 Champ, '18 Runner Up, '23 rebuild

QB Watson, A Richardson, O' Connel (TS)
RB Gibbs, Akers, Dillon Carter, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Mcintosh, Tucker, Hull (TS)
WR Metcalf, DJ Moore, Addison, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Collins, Claypool, Mingo (TS), Hyatt (TS), Wilson (TS)
TE Higbee, Freirmuth, Otton (TS)
K Joseph
DE/DT Hunter
LB Franklin Simmons
C/S James

1.01, 1.04

Seventy5
Legend
Legend

Postby Seventy5 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:11 pm

Less than 0% chance he comes back...? I'll take the over on that. He has literally come out and said he wanted to change teams and play for a contender, but Detroit wouldn't let him out of his contract. Now over a year later, there has been a LOT of smoke blowing around recently - and the majority of this is coming from Calvin himself, not random media figures whose 'what if' articles blew up and made their way around the internet. Here were Calvin's exact words:

"I was stuck in my contract with Detroit, and they told me, they would not release my contract, so I would have to come back to them. I didn't see the chance for them to win a Super Bowl at the time, and for the work I was putting in, it wasn't worth my time to keep on beating my head against the wall and not going anywhere. It's the definition of insanity."

"...and they told me they would not release my contract." I read that as it was more than an idea he kept to himself. In order for Detroit to have told him they would not release his contract, he must have gone to them and asked for it or at least brought it up. They said no, he retired.

If you're in leagues with 300+ players rostered (say...12x25+), why not stash him at the end of your bench for a few weeks when the cost is free? Chances are most owners are constantly churning out the last few spots anyways, and Id much rather roll the dice on Calvin finding a way out of his contract than a low-floor/low-ceiling RB/WR/TE who is unlikely to even be on your roster by the time week one rolls around anyways. I mean lets look at some of the facts here:

-Retires when he still CLEARLY could have continued playing at a high level. Would he still be THE best WR in the NFL? Probably not, but even a top 15-30 overall WR with upside for more any given week is valuable in fantasy football.

-Spends a week at Oakland's mini-camp as a guest WR coach, which, could have been nothing, but after Oakland lured Lynch out of retirement the idea was at least fun. Bit more fuel was thrown on the fire when he then went out for a round of golf with Del Rio, the raiders offensive coordinator, and Derek Carr. Again, probably nothing, but the idea was fun.

-Few weeks later while in Italy he comes out and says he would probably still be playing if Detroit had released him from his contract (which to me kind of reads he at some point at least looked into this, but Detroit wouldn't allow it.). None of this was ever made public a year ago, but the timing of it coming out now along with his other comments at least raises an eyebrow. He has also said stuff like Carr (along with Farve/Rodgers) are his three favorite quarterbacks, he is envious of the situation Lynch is in/thinks Lynch is in a great spot with Oakland, etc etc.

-This is just another 'it is probably nothing' quote, but for the sake of throwing more fuel on the fire: Former Raider RB Napoleon Kaufman - "I hear whispers, I hear Megatron whispers.....whispers in the air. 👀 #RAIDERNATION" http://oak.247sports.com/Bolt/Former-Ra ... s-99226935

-Now Detroit Lions owner Rod Wood has come out and made some interesting but vague comments. He said he has been exchanging text messages with Calvin the last few weeks, and that he invited him to Lions training camp. I initially read this as he was being invited as a guest, but his wording "I did invite him to camp. Hopefully he shows up and he is a great player" was interesting. He didn't say Calvin WAS a great player and it would be nice to have him at camp as a guest/coach/mentor/etc. Then he said his other text messages have been professional and cordial, but declined to go into specifics. All of that could again be nothing, but, I think it's safe to say there is a non-zero chance he would consider playing again.

If it's going to cost me nothing but cutting Matt Brieda, Donnel Pumphrey, and Tarik Cohen (players Ive recently cut in three leagues to stash Calvin) to pick up Calvin for a few weeks-month....sign me up. If nothing comes of it, he'll be an easy cut. Those players likely would have been cut before week one in order to pick up a defense anyways. Regardless, Id rather stash him now for free (no matter how low the odds are) for the slim chance this smoke leads to a fire soon.

Carr to Calvin, Cooper, Crabtree, Cordarelle, Cook (that would be a lot of names starting with a C) and Lynch is at least fun to think about:

Image http://oak.247sports.com/Bolt/SI-gives- ... -103095721
Last edited by Seventy5 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
DLF HOF League | 16 Team 1PPR 1QB-2WR-2RB-1TE-2FL:
QB: Deshaun Watson | Stafford | Purdy | Hooker
RB: Saquon Barkley |DeVon Achane | Deuce
RB: Alvin Kamara | Joe Mixon / Chase Brown | Tucker
WR: Tyreek Hill | Rashee Rice | Tank Dell
WR: Stefon Diggs | DeVonta Smith | MWilliams | Claypool | C Austin
TE: Higbee | Likely | Chig Okonkwo | Strange
2023: 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3

DLF Premium League | 16 Team 1PPR 1QB-2WR-2RB-1TE-2FL:
QB: Joe Burrow | Mayfield | Hooker
RB: Saquon Barkley | Tank Bigsby | Deuce
RB: Alvin Kamara | Aaron Jones | JK Dobbins | Sean Tucker
WR: Ja'Marr Chase | Christian Watson | Hyatt | Shenault
WR: Keenan Allen | Marquise Brown | Calvin Ridley | Addison | Claypool | C Jones | Shakir
TE: Sam LaPorta | Strange | Jonnu
2023: 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:15 am

Voted 1-5%. Still think it's an incredibly long shot, but never say never. I stashed him in a few leagues with deep benches just in case he does find his way back into field. I don't think roster spaces are so dire during TC that I can't burn a spot on one of the greatest WRs of all time , in the off chance that he decides to make a comeback. At least with Calvin you'll know what you have sooner rather than later.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:37 am

I agree with nino's post nearly 100% which is very rare ! . He was handsomely compensated and no one forced him to sign he could have made the lions franchise him until it was untenable to keep him and then moved on but he took the mega cash and banked rather than pursue less on a championship capable franchise . His greatness was never questioned and his latest whimpering only diminishes his terrific legacy IMHO. I voted zero % as that was lowest the poll offered .
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci